SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Stupid is as stupid does (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215524)

Midlander 02-29-2016 08:05 PM

Stupid is as stupid does

I tow my 2005 Saturn Ion 5-speed manual four down behind my motor home. Upon returning to my home base yesterday I realized that for the 100 mile trip I had left the Ion's parking brake on. :cry: New shoes and new drums are a given but I haven't had the nerve to jack it up yet to see if the bearings are wiped. If they're tight and don't make noise should I change them out anyway? I value opinions here and this time will honorably accept verbal lashings or other abuse for pulling such a bonehead stunt. :upset:

2006 ion2 03-01-2016 12:16 AM

Re: Stupid is as stupid does

Wow, just, wow. There are all kinds of things it could have damaged. Could be the tires, could be the bushes, could be the bearings. You're going to have to drove it and see how bad it really is. When in doubt, replace, but this negs the question, how hard was the brake on and how hot did the hubs get? I hope you checked that?

Midlander 03-01-2016 09:14 AM

To tell you the truth, when I got in the Ion, realized how I had screwed myself, I immediately wondered why the whole thing didn't catch on fire. There was no grating sound (or any sound) when I pulled it into the garage. The wheel was, indeed, hot. If any halfway good news came out of this it was the fact that I didn't do a full pull on the brake handle. I pulled it just enough to keep the Ion from rolling on the slight slope while I locked in the hitch. I've calmed down enough now to jack it up this morning and see what the toll is. Thanks for the feedback. I sincerely appreciate a master taking time to read and respond.

daver 03-01-2016 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=Midlander;2182486]I value opinions here and this time will honorably accept verbal lashings or other abuse for pulling such a bonehead stunt. :upset:[/QUOTE]

OK, now everyone point and laugh at Midlander...:D

Actually, it sounds like you got off pretty easy. Hope there's no significant damage. I see a lot of Saturns towed behind motor homes, and I'm sure there's a good reason for that.

Also, it's interesting to see what people are choosing lately now that the last Saturns are aging.

Midlander 03-01-2016 12:59 PM

Hey, I asked for the pointing and snickers. :D I deserve every arrow for pulling such a dumb stunt. You say lucky and the actual outcome is a miracle. There was no damage whatsoever on either wheel. The drums didn't have a ridge and the shoes only wore to about half-life. I re-adjusted both brakes to take up the slack and my braking is back to 100%. Bet you can't guess who will now use a printed checklist for every trip. ;)

hoosierrun 03-01-2016 01:29 PM

Maybe a yellow sticky note on the steering wheel or rear view mirror? :D

Glad to hear it worked out.

2006 ion2 03-01-2016 07:02 PM

Or perhaps a big red "remove before flight" tag on the handle.

fdryer 03-02-2016 12:55 AM

Midlander, according to rules and regulations, you're disqualified from entry into the rarified group of "boneheads". I will not discuss my qualifications ([SIZE="1"]unless asked[/SIZE]). There is no such thing as a half hearted attempt, which appears to be the case here as you did not make an honest effort to completely pull up on the parking brake lever. As I recall it, rules stipulate qualifying with complete 100% distraction without any forethought, planning, discussion, practice, research, suggestions, clueless bordering on ignorance and any other dishonest methods not listed here or anywhere. Rules are rules and disobeying any portion of unposted regulations is ground for automatic disqualification. Unfortunately, you do not meet qualifications. Any attempt to try is an automatic fail. True boneheads meet qualifications without trying. :arr:

Midlander 03-02-2016 04:22 PM

Actually, I had a yellow sticky note but it was in the driver's seat with the sticky side up. Didn't do me a bit of good once I moved the Ion into position. :blockhead Thank goodness it didn't say "Kick Me." I'm really sorry I don't (yet) qualify for the bonehead club but since I turn 72 next Monday, I have been accepted into the Old Geezer's Club. (Yea) :cake:

fdryer 03-02-2016 08:24 PM

If it's OK with you and your members, would you mind propping the door open? I have a few more years to go and might try sneaking in.......... It's boring sometimes amongst boneheads, retelling old stories unless it involves gasoline, electrical shorts or anything exciting.

RobertJ 03-03-2016 09:48 AM

I have been pulling vehicles behind motorhomes for 20 years, and I can't believe I have never done this to be honest. I am always so paranoid. Don't beat yourself up over it too badly, and at least it was only 100 miles and not 400! Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Midlander 03-03-2016 04:50 PM

My personal and sincere thanks for these comments. I belong to several RV forums but this one, Saturnalia, is number one on my list of favorites. You're civil and honestly try to help those of us who may be conditionally overage or simply not the sharpest needle in the box. I did take my Ion over to Houston and back this morning (180 miles) and it's good as ever with excellent braking. I love my Ion. Took me six months to find it and I plan on it outlasting me.

RobertJ 03-03-2016 05:55 PM

Great news! Thanks for the update.