SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mods and Performance (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Explicit Exhaust Pics Under 56K warning. (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64945)

cloud819 11-10-2005 11:40 AM

Explicit Exhaust Pics Under 56K warning.

5 Attachment(s)
My new Exhaust is on. Headers, highflow cat, 2.5 inch mandrel bent (except for 1 turn). It turned out really nice. A little louder than I wanted, but everyone says it sounds about right. It look soo much like a Thermal it is a little scary.

The guy did a great job. He is one of the top car guys here in New Mexico, and is currently in talks with the discovery channel in having his own show. He also may be on OverHaulin' next season. Some day you will see him on TV; he is known as Fred "The Car Guy". One of the coolest people I have ever met. He gave me an absoulte steal on the whole thing. $300, I supplied the mufflers, hearder and cat.

He took the time to mill out the back of the OBX flange too. All of the emission control stuff is intact. He also placed anouther bung (hence the spark plug acting as a plug) in the exhaust for my future WBO2 upgrade. Anyway enjoy the pictures.

[i]Images moved to attachments by administrator.[/i]

S3aturnR 11-10-2005 02:40 PM

Re: Explicit Exhaust Pics XXX Under 56K warning.

very nice. (i like your tire choice, too). finally, a competent and well thought out upgrade. :)

s3aturnr

RalliArt16 11-10-2005 03:13 PM

I'm not usually a fan of dual tips (such as thermals), but i like yours. They're not very long and just the right diameter. Sorta reminds me of the stock dual tips on the hatchback Civic Si's.

cloud819 11-10-2005 03:36 PM

Yeah, it took me a while to find the perfect muffler. I don't like big tips. These are 2 inch and the muffler tucks up nicely. It is an OBX DTM.

I have been working on the upgrade for about 5 months. Getting everything together. I have had the header for a long time, just not on. I think the upgrade went well. And was rather well thought out. We hit a few snaggs, but got it all under control. There was a fair amount of planning in this, glad it shows.

I'll get some recordings up soon. So you can hear the tone. It is just about spot on. No buzz, but also not overly bassy.

IonNinja 11-10-2005 04:54 PM

why does it look like there are only 3 runners on that header...is it just the picture or am I missing something?

cloud819 11-10-2005 05:00 PM

The AC is in the way. It is there, you just can't see it in that picture.

marcusa 11-10-2005 05:51 PM

Now I know why the XXX, all that peering under :snide:

Sweet deal and looks great too, where'd you get the dual-tip from and for how much? I've been thinking of getting a nice looking dual-tip exhaust like yours for quite some time.

cloud819 11-10-2005 06:48 PM

The muffler is a universal OBX DTM. I got it off of Ebay for $50+$25 S/H. It is a really well made part. I'm very happy with its looks. I think the seller was Sparktec; They sell lots of OBX an Nippon parts.

95c2 11-10-2005 06:50 PM

i got a 95 sc2 5spd and iam not really looking for that much power. i plann to get the obx header and a short ram. but then i wann change the stock puny muffler with something that looks and sounds better. I DONt wann throw money on a cat back or custom exhaust. i want to get the obx twin tip muffler like yours welded to the stock piping. theyd probly have to make an adapter for it to fit but iam afraid it mite sound cheezy. but then again i would have the header and intake to match it. is this recommended or not? WHy? i guy said this setup will help mantain back pressure.

bennett9000 11-10-2005 09:00 PM

Hey nice, even got the AIR pump hooked up. Muffler looks very tasteful. I'd like to hear a sound clip as well. A nice long glass-pack behind the cat would really mellow out that sound as well, and cost next to nothing, horsepower-wise. But wow, nice work.

eRic 02sc2 11-10-2005 09:08 PM

where'd you get the OBX headER? did it come with the air tube in place or did they have to modify it? i have an 02 sc2 so a 91-92 factory header won't fit.

bennett9000 11-10-2005 09:17 PM

[QUOTE=eRic 02sc2]where'd you get the OBX headER? did it come with the air tube in place or did they have to modify it? i have an 02 sc2 so a 91-92 factory header won't fit.[/QUOTE]

The OBX header comes with a tube welded on to accommodate the AIR pump. My 99 doesn't have a pump, luckily, so the point is moot. The tube just goes flat into the head.

Those can be had for $155 on eBay. That's where mine came from.

cloud819 11-10-2005 10:13 PM

Re: Explicit Exhaust Pics Under 56K warning.

It has a "glasspack" behind the cat it just isn't visable in those pics. I used a Magnaflow striaght through. It actually uses stainless steal packing.

I got the header off of Ebay.

The AIR is actually a pain in the butt to get to work it took us a little over 2 hours. The OBX header has the tube in place, but it won't function without working the back of the flange. The stock manifold has a little path above the ports which gather exhaust gasses from above each port. Even though the AIR tube is in the OBX header the pathway is not. Fred cut a pathway into to flange and I modified the new gasket to match the stock one. But it works, no codes.

Vertigoomg 11-11-2005 08:37 AM

How did you paint the header?

Niteshooter 11-11-2005 09:50 AM

[QUOTE=RalliArt16]I'm not usually a fan of dual tips (such as thermals), but i like yours. They're not very long and just the right diameter. Sorta reminds me of the stock dual tips on the hatchback Civic Si's.[/QUOTE]

Fyi the Thermal I just had installed on my 00 SL2 was not a double tip. I was actually looking for that style and just assumed that that was what was in the box when I said to go ahead and do the installation. I find that the single pipe REALLY hangs down a lot compared to stock but have not wacked it against anything yet.

[IMG]http://www.kevinomura.com/saturns/completenew.jpg[/IMG]

Kevin

cloud819 11-11-2005 10:54 AM

I liked the dual tip Thermals too. The single tip seems too big, but man that install looks really nice. I probably would have gone Thermal, but I didn't want to get a single. I know some places were advertizing that they still had duals in stock.

The header is not painted. OBX either chomes it or polishes it from the factory. It turn purple and gold when it gets hot.

All of the welds are painted with a high temp ceramic based paint.

cloud819 11-11-2005 11:19 AM

Haha, some one took the XXX out to the title.