SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   QUICK QUESTION... Symptoms of bad TPS? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206115)

mpit91 02-04-2015 05:14 PM

QUICK QUESTION... Symptoms of bad TPS?

Quick question here. Can I get some symptoms of a bad or failing throttle position sensor?

Im having downshift issues when the engine/trans gets hot and i am braking to a stop. By this, i mean that the car doesnt want cycle down the gears like it is supposed to. I think it is staying in 2nd or something.

To avoid this problem, I put the car in neutral when braking and coming to a stop light. The RPMs stay at around 2 until i come to a full and complete stop and then the car decides to idle very normally, right at 750.

Reason I suspect the TPS is because I installed a new one, (not sure if the old one was bad) and apparently there is a learning process. I tried resetting the PCM with the battery disconnected for 10 mins, but it didnt fix the problem above.

I dont think its the IAC valve because i just cleaned away all the carbon buildup in the throttle body which made the car idle better.

Any insight would be appreciated!

OldNuc 02-04-2015 05:32 PM

Re: QUICK QUESTION... Symptoms of bad TPS?

There is no learning process for the TPS. The curve in most if not all of the available TPS sensors may very well be incorrect for an automatic as that sensor controls part of the shifting program.

What brand TPS did you get?

You need to list the year, and model of your car in your profile if you want any useful information.

TXSaturn02 02-04-2015 08:07 PM

[QUOTE=mpit91;2120256]Quick question here. Can I get some symptoms of a bad or failing throttle position sensor?

Any insight would be appreciated![/QUOTE]

The easiest TPS test is to turn the car off when it is idling high, then turn it right back on. If the TPS idles normally when turned right back on, it is your problem - or at least one of them.

Tyler12189 02-04-2015 10:31 PM

[QUOTE=TXSaturn02;2120274]The easiest TPS test is to turn the car off when it is idling high, then turn it right back on. If the TPS idles normally when turned right back on, it is your problem - or at least one of them.[/QUOTE]

I have a manual but oldnuc helped me pinpoint my problem and it wasn't the tps so much as the wires had crimp connectors on them from being replaced in the past and as soon as I had the wires soldiered it never came back.

TXSaturn02 02-04-2015 10:39 PM

[QUOTE=Tyler12189;2120295]I have a manual but oldnuc helped me pinpoint my problem and it wasn't the tps so much as the wires had crimp connectors on them from being replaced in the past and as soon as I had the wires soldiered it never came back.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it could be any of many things, but I gave the EASIEST test to the TPS - you can move on to more elaborate tests if the easier ones don't work. The guy was looking for opinions - I'm sure he wants as many as he can get. Not just one. :D

OldNuc 02-04-2015 11:36 PM

The key OFF then back to ON is only testing for the TPS caused high idle while stopped. The issue described by the OP is transmission shift point related which is not gong to be located by the easy TPS test.