SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   rear seat bolt issue (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130487)

YourMainParadox 12-12-2008 01:21 AM

rear seat bolt issue

the farthest back and farthest passenger side bolt on the rear seat will only screw in 75% of the way for some reason. I looked and the threads are fine on the bolt and the look ok from what I can see of the hole but it will only go 75% of the way in then it just gets stuck. I can't see any cross threaded portions of it or anything in the threads either... anyone have anything like this happen to them? Also can this be a safety issue?

far2grumpy 12-12-2008 06:43 PM

Re: rear seat bolt issue

I assume vehicle engineers use just enough hardware to meet minimum requirements so I try to get all hardware's installed and tight.

Just a few random thoughts / questions:

Do you think the screw was not fully threaded from day one?

Can you use mirror and light to check hole for obstruction?

Can you back out one of the other screws to verify length?

Does the hole go through the floor (if yes...use tap to "chase" threads)?

YourMainParadox 12-14-2008 04:32 AM

all of them are the same length and they all go completly out the bottom of the car. Of what I can see the threads look good.. but i can't see much.

burnout 12-14-2008 05:20 AM

I ran into this same problem, and to be honest, I think it's in the same location you're describing. I had to take my rear seat out for my audio install, and there was one bolt that required a breaker bar and a pipe on the end of it to come out.

Each quarter turn required all the force I could muster; My arms BURNED.

Just like yours, the bolt looked perfect. I was (and still am) dumbfounded. If you keep turning it with a breaker bar or similar tool, you should be able to get it in all the way.:upset:

far2grumpy 12-14-2008 10:48 AM

I wonder if this screw location is near the exhaust system?

If so, could the nut-plate and screw be exposed to a lot of heat on sustained basis?

If heat could be possible cause -- I'd use same anti-seize compound created for spark-plug threads to ease installation (and simplify future removal).

YourMainParadox 12-15-2008 08:40 PM

nothing is hot near it and I tried using a hammer but it does not work. I might borrow a breaker bar from my neighbor.

YourMainParadox 12-18-2008 01:32 PM

[QUOTE=burnout;1365534]I ran into this same problem, and to be honest, I think it's in the same location you're describing. I had to take my rear seat out for my audio install, and there was one bolt that required a breaker bar and a pipe on the end of it to come out.

Each quarter turn required all the force I could muster; My arms BURNED.

Just like yours, the bolt looked perfect. I was (and still am) dumbfounded. If you keep turning it with a breaker bar or similar tool, you should be able to get it in all the way.:upset:[/QUOTE]

I only have a small breaker bar.... so I never got it past 75% of the way in... is there anything bad about leaving it 75% of the way screwed in?

far2grumpy 12-18-2008 10:24 PM

Is there a space between the bolt (screw) head and item you're trying to bolt down? Sounds like there could be ... and if so ... it could lead to the bolt shearing if you collide with something.

There must be a reason for the bolt to not go all the way in -- but it you can't overcome -- you could back the bolt out and use sufficient number of washers to make sure there's no "play" between bolt and seat.

far2grumpy 12-18-2008 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Paradox ... look at attached extract ... is the bolt in question the one on far right of illustration?

If so, I'll see if I have a problem with same bolt on my 05 Vue.

Ritz 12-18-2008 11:57 PM

I didn't have any problem when I took those bolts out and replaced them. However, I used my 750ft/lb impact wrench (on a lower setting) when I replaced them. My wedding ring slid into the crevice under the seat when I was putting one of the car seats in. Took me a good 30-45 minutes to get it back. Hehe....

YourMainParadox 12-19-2008 11:24 AM

yea it is the farthest over passenger side bolt

far2grumpy 12-19-2008 06:01 PM

Paradox ... I checked the seat bolt on my Vue this PM by using a 3/8" drive ratchet, six inch extension and 19 MM socket. I expected more of a challenge but the silly thing was little more than finger tight ... I turned it 1/4 turn with the ratchet and then removed by twirling the extension with finger power.

Needless to say I could install to full depth using hand power .. I put a bit of torque on with the ratchet.

I've got no idea why you're having such difficulty with yours.

Ritz ... I envy you having the 750 ft/lb impact wrench. Sounds like one of those Binford 5000 tools Tim "The Toolman" Taylor talked about on the old TV program.

My missus bought me a 400 ft/lb (variable down to 100 ft/lb) for Christmas a few years back ... I used wrong setting and broke a wheel stud while rotating tires on her Jeep Cherokee. I'm back to my $27.95 100 ft/lb Coleman wrench.

YourMainParadox 12-20-2008 07:38 AM

i just left it as is 75% no clue why it is like that... I can see the bolt stick out under the car and nothing is stopping it <.<

LastL4Banger 08-26-2012 07:59 PM

I hate to ask but what is the bolt used in two bolts in the front of the rear seat. on my 2003, the two bolts in the front of the rear seat look like torx heads. the PDF of the rear seat removal shows a normal bolt but it aint.