SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Wheel Bearing Repair Cost Range? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116310)

neal779 04-02-2008 05:13 AM

Wheel Bearing Repair Cost Range?

hey guys,

From the research I've done in this forum and on the web, I think that my front passenger side wheel bearing is going out on my 03 Ion and I need to get it replaced.

Anyone have a guess as to a ballpark range that it may cost (parts and labor) I know there's a number of different factors that could change the price... I just have no idea if I'm looking at a $200 or a $1000 repair.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Neal

AuraDrvr89 04-02-2008 08:26 AM

Re: Wheel Bearing Repair Cost Range?

My passenger side wheel bearing started to make noise, so I replaced both.

It cost ~$120/each for TIMKEN wheel bearings. I bought it from a wholesale auto store

[URL="http://www.wdautoparts.com/"]World Discounts Auto Parts[/URL]

I learned from my last car that if you replace one, you might as well replace both.

Let me know how it works out for you, I know that some places like AutoZone and such charge much too much for the same part you can get elsewhere cheaper.

rev kev 05-27-2010 09:58 AM

So I looked you guys up for help and Id did repair my right front hub/beraing at ho,e 134.00 plus tax and to my surprise I had a heck of time getting the bearing out - finaly beat on it long enough :dizzy: - the rim was chocked full of lock-tight :no: (this is the way it came from the factory) and it was strange I cleaning the lock tight off and as I put the new bearing hub in lots of play :hmpf: so I added the lock-tight again..., I just caution those who go to a mechanic and the mech says you need a new axle when really he is just lazy...

rev kev 05-27-2010 10:00 AM

So I looked you guys up for help and Id did repair my right front hub/beraing at ho,e 134.00 plus tax and to my surprise I had a heck of time getting the bearing out - finaly beat on it long enough :dizzy: - the rim was chocked full of lock-tight :no: (this is the way it came from the factory) and it was strange I cleaning the lock tight off and as I put the new bearing hub in lots of play :hmpf: so I added the lock-tight again..., I just caution those who go to a mechanic and the mech says you need a new axle when really he is just lazy... mine a 2003 Vue AWD had a VTI - holy crap

Maritime Storm 05-28-2010 05:08 PM

There are times when the axle is damaged trying to remove it from the hub, it is however the exception not the norm. We had a Montana a few weeks ago we actually had to cut the axle from the bearing because the two simply could not be seperated. Like I said it is the exception not the norm. A air hamer will usually shake the 2 apart, sometimes you have to heat the hub with the torches to get them to seperate.

Lizzy 06-02-2010 09:56 AM

I took my 07 QC to the dealer with a bad wheel bearing and they said it would be $485 to replace the one. Luckily mine was still under warranty as it is covered under the 5 year / 100k mile warranty, but I had to fight for that. Good luck getting it repaired.

chilipepper1327 06-08-2010 06:48 AM

[QUOTE=Lizzy;1626609]I took my 07 QC to the dealer with a bad wheel bearing and they said it would be $485 to replace the one. Luckily mine was still under warranty as it is covered under the 5 year / 100k mile warranty, but I had to fight for that. Good luck getting it repaired.[/QUOTE]

OEM replacement bearing, about $35, labour, one hour about 80. Do it yourself, PRICELESS! lol!:D

Actually, here in Canada, you can only by the whole assembly at about $250. Then labour. Go figure eh? lol!