SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Clutch safety switch fun! (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238085)

slapshot 11 09-16-2019 06:29 PM

Clutch safety switch fun!

Coming back from town, stopped to get gas, and the '99 SL1 would not start. Got a push from a fellow nearby, and jump started it and drove it home. (Ice cream in the trunk). Did some basic research on previous issues on Saturn fans, so I took a flashlight out to see if I could jump it till I could find a new switch. Pulled on the wires, then pushed on them, and it felt like the plug went in a little bit. Got to thinking, "I wonder if this was just a loose plug?". Unscrewed myself from below the dash, and it started instantly! Tried it again to make sure and all was well! More kudos to you guys on this wonderful website!

onlinebiker 09-17-2019 07:02 AM

Re: Clutch safety switch fun!

It's traditional for those who have their problems figured out by the forum members to bring cookies..

Or brownies.

:)

Waiex191 09-17-2019 08:01 AM

I'm on a diet. Coffee works for me! Actually it was interesting to hear of an instance where the clutch switch connector did fail.

trottida 09-17-2019 08:02 AM

I'd accept beer, wine or liquor.

Telyx 09-17-2019 09:23 AM

On my first Saturn (a 2002 SL1), years ago, the pushrod for the clutch pedal came out when I got into the car and accidentally got my left foot under the pedal. I leaned down and put the pushrod back into what I thought was its proper place, only to realize after hearing the "crunch" sound that I'd set the end of the pushrod on the switch. Broke it. Fortunately, I had a piece of stiff wire with which I could jump the switch.

alordofchaos 09-17-2019 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=onlinebiker;2306759]It's traditional for those who have their problems figured out by the forum members to bring cookies..

Or brownies.

:)[/QUOTE]

And this is even more exciting now that recreational marijuana is legal in MI :D

slapshot 11 09-17-2019 09:37 PM

Well, I'm going to have to add to this discussion. Driving the car, the switch was intermittent, so I bought a ($7) switch, came home, watched a Richpin video (glad I did) and installed the new switch, so far so good...Because I'm addressing some rust issues on my '05 Chrysler Town n Country, we've been driving the Saturn, which my wife hates. (It's harder for her to get in and out of). I have now been threatened twice with "I'm NEVER riding in this car again!' I had to explain to her that statements like that really hurt my feelings as I love this car! Silence ensued!