SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Entire vehicle (un)lock intermittent 2004 Vue (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237153)

EditEd4TV 05-11-2019 11:15 AM

Entire vehicle (un)lock intermittent 2004 Vue

Hey everyone, I have an issue that Iím finally getting around to fixing once and for all. This is for a 2004 Saturn Vue AWD V6 3.5L. When I press the key fob lock, or the lock on the drivers door (both of these should lock all the doors and tailgate), itís completely hit or miss. I have to go around and check all 4 doors and the tailgate. Itís always random which doors lock or not, though the back passenger side seems to be the worst. Sometimes locking the doors is 100% successful, and other times only one door will lock. Same thing goes for the unlock process. Lately it has gotten so bad that I have to unlock my drivers door with the key. The worst is when I have a full load of video gear and the tailgate wonít open. Iíve gone so far as to make a custom latch (itís just a small screw sticking out of a channel I drilled into the plastic) inside the rear tailgate so I can unlock it, *if* I can reach around all the gear loaded in there. So anyway... enough is enough, I need to solve this.

I suppose I could replace all the actuators but it seems fishy to me that this all suddenly began about 2 years ago, and is slowly getting worse, and appears to be random. Like I said, sometimes it works 100% but thatís rare. Usually itís at least 2 random doors that wonít lock.

Iím thinking it must be a voltage issue? Something isnít sending the proper voltage to the entire system? I donít have a schematic that shows where I can start narrowing it all down to one specific global component. The fuse(s) are all fine.

Somebody please help. Iím getting old and canít fish my way to the back inside to reach my custom made latch, and sometimes my gear just wonít fit through the doors. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

bern 05-12-2019 07:11 PM

Re: Entire vehicle (un)lock intermittent 2004 Vue

If any of the latches operated lock or unlock then all of the input devices are operating. I repair a lot of vehicles with several latches failing. What I have been seeing is a failing latch the manual lock button or lever moves a small amount when the first button press but not unlock or lock, sometimes will operate the first time and each button press after that will get worse,
I have replaced 2-3 latches on vehicles as low as 15,000 mile and then return a few weeks later for anther one failing. Replace latches as needed

EditEd4TV 05-14-2019 10:25 PM

Yes I can see the locks physically moving, but just not enough to finish the process, almost as if they are gummed up or jammed, but manually moving them seems no more stiff than normal. Then again, I don't know what "normal" is anymore, being that this thing is 15 years old - my joints are just as stiff since that time, lol. Maybe I'll see if I can disassemble and lubricate the moving parts first, and if that fails I'll replace.

atikovi 05-15-2019 08:34 AM

Hit the button 3 or 4 times in a row. If that works they probably need lube somewhere.

bern 05-15-2019 11:42 PM

I've replaced alot of these I took in one apart didn't find anything wrong except for a cheap electric motors that you would normally fine in a $6 toy