SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Astra General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Do You Have A New 5 Door Astra? Does It Have Press Dents? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112865)

kazlecoat 01-30-2008 07:20 PM

Do You Have A New 5 Door Astra? Does It Have Press Dents?

Hello from the UK- I took delivery new 5 Door Vauxhall Astra (in Black) on 4 January 2008. Shortly afterwards I noticed a small dent in both of the rear passenger doors, just below where the door meets the window (about mid way along the door). These dents can be seen in the rear view mirror when sitting in the driving seat. You need to run your eye along the line of the rubber sills and look at the bodywork where it meets the rubber.

Upon discovery of these dents I returned to the dealer and after two weeks argy-bargy got no-where. I was stunned that a brand new car could be delivered with a dent in each of the rear passenger doors and was sticking to my guns to get a replacement car, but as I say got no-where. I escalated my problem to Vauxhall Executive Support Team in Luton and although I have not managed to secure a replacement car, they have offered to provide two new especially produced doors, which I am assured will be free of dents. (So I have, somewhat reluctantly, accepted this offer).

Somewhere along the way the dealer said that these dents are called 'Press Dents' and that this is how all 5 door Astras are made! This seems like a really good place to test out that statement!

I have been so frustrated by the difficulties in resolving this matter that I published a website to draw attention to the issue. If you would like to see a picture of press dents, the please visit:
[url]www.vauxhallastras.co.uk[/url] (It's got an 's' on the end of astra)

If anyone else has recently taken delivery of a new 5 door, then have a good look at your rear passenger doors to see if they are similarly dented? If you are not happy with what you see, then take the car back to the dealer and complain.
PS Press dents do seem to be most obvious on black models, because of the high gloss finish. (This is a real shame!)
PPS Although this post refers to Vauxhall and how I have escalated my issues with them, I'm interested now to know if this is something anyone has noticed on their Saturn Astra - Thanks for looking.

OPEL Blitz 01-31-2008 12:55 PM

Re: Do You Have A New 5 Door Astra? Does It Have Press Dents?

[QUOTE]Does It Have Press Dents?[/QUOTE]Nope.

kazlecoat 01-31-2008 01:54 PM

I'm not surprised an Opel Asta doesn't have the Press dents - my previous car was a 2005 Opel Astra and it didn't have them either.
kazlecoat

Jamis 01-31-2008 01:55 PM

I was out on an errand and stopped by the Saturn dealership just now. There are four 5 door XEs on the lot. I could see no dents or depressions along the rear doors by the window as depicted in your picture. I do not think that depression should be "normal". I have never seen such a thing on any car I have ever owned.

Here in the US, we have shops that offer "paintless" dent removal. They go inside the body panel and work the dent out from the inside. If there is little or no creasing in the dent, like yours, they can pretty much erase the blemish without disturbing the outside finish. Might be preferable to new doors. I hope the paint on the new doors matches your original paintwork. Given an entire month of time passage, it is a good bet that they will be from a different paint run.

kazlecoat 01-31-2008 02:10 PM

Thanks Jamis - that's useful to know about the Saturn Astra being built in Antwerp - Vauxhall have said that my replacement doors will be built in Antwerp and that they are confident they will be free of dents.

I'm not sure where my car was originally built, although it may have been outside of the UK. I have noticed a label in the drivers door area that is actually stamped 'Opel'

I am actually very concerned about the paint match and have mentioned this to the Head of Aftersales (UK & Ireland), he has assured me that he will deal with this problem if it arises, so we will wait and see.

I have just dropped my Astra at the dealer this evening, and have collected a Vauxhall Vectra Hire car, which has been provided for the duration of the repair.

kazlecoat

kilcher 02-01-2008 03:36 AM

Just curious why you didn't get out of the car to take the picture. Odd.

kazlecoat 02-01-2008 03:43 AM

[QUOTE=kilcher;1194309]Just curious why you didn't get out of the car to take the picture. Odd.[/QUOTE]

Becaue if you stand in front of the vehicle to take the picture you block out the light and it's quite difficult to see the dent. To get the best image you need good light. Also, taking the picture in the rear view mirror emphasises the fact that every time I look in the mirror (which is frequently) the view I get is of the dent! And it really annoys me!

Jamis 02-04-2008 12:12 PM

Any news on your new doors? Hopefully all is well now.

kazlecoat 02-04-2008 06:46 PM

[QUOTE=Jamis;1195685]Any news on your new doors? Hopefully all is well now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for asking. The car is currently with Vauxhall, they have transported it to their own workshop and provided me with a Hire car for the duration of the repair. I haven't has an update yet, but hope to hear something later in the week. I'll post something here as soon as I hear some news.

Cheers

kazlecoat

Jamis 02-07-2008 11:33 AM

The local dealer receceived a black 5 door XR in the other day. It has been cleaned up now and there are no "press dents" in the rear doors. A side note: the window trim on the Saturns is silver/chrome, not black like yours.

kazlecoat 02-10-2008 07:19 AM

[QUOTE=Jamis;1197321]The local dealer receceived a black 5 door XR in the other day. It has been cleaned up now and there are no "press dents" in the rear doors. A side note: the window trim on the Saturns is silver/chrome, not black like yours.[/QUOTE]

Maybe this chrome trim is an indication of a better finnish on the Saturn Astra - I think a Chrome trim is a feature of the more expensive models here in the UK.

Anyway, my new doors have been fitted now and they are free of dents - unfortunately I can see a slight difference in the existing door pillars, compared to the new ones. I've updated my website with the latest information.

I intend to keep the website going, because even though Vauxhall have now admitted that there was a problem with the manufacturing process, and have rectified it. I think there must be lots of Astras on the road and on dealer's premises with this problem, so buyers need to be careful.

TN1 02-11-2008 07:31 PM

My 2007 Aura was delivered with a factory dent and several misaligned body panels. My dealer bent over backwards to fix all of my concerns. While I don't expect this from the Astra since they have been making them for several years (while my Aura was early production), I'm guessing any US Saturn dealership is going to go the extra mile to fix any issues like this that arise.