SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue Red Line (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   Alternative Replacement Tire Size For '04 R/L (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88051)

BlackR/L 10-30-2006 10:30 PM

Alternative Replacement Tire Size For '04 R/L

I have read the previous strings on replacement tire sizes and I only see one person stating that they have replaced the OEM 245-50-18's with 245-55-18's. Like many other Red Line Vue owners I do not want to pay $250 to $300 per tire just because it happens to be the same size as the replacement tire for a BMW. Is there more than one person out there that has installed 245-55-18's on a 2004 Red Line? If so, please let me know if you have had any problems with the larger tire size or if the larger tire works out just fine. By the way, the original equipment Turanza's have lasted 53,000 miles on my Vue and have never been good in the snow, although I just chalked up the poor performance to the large foot print of the tire.

popp 10-31-2006 03:39 AM

Re: Alternative Replacement Tire Size For '04 R/L

buy mine for 500 total......

D C 10-31-2006 08:32 AM

The Bridgestone EL42 that your car has is, as far as I can tell, the exact same tire as that BMW tire. Looks like GM borrowed from the BMW parts bin for that one.

The new RL's come with a Bridgestone EL400 instead of the EL42. They're a very reasonable $159 on tirerack.

drivehard 10-31-2006 10:08 AM

I just ordered a set of 225/55-18 for our Redline. The diameter is nearly identicle (0.37% difference). Rim width will also be fine. The slightly narrower tire should yield better snow/rain traction as well as slightly better fuel mileage. The same sidewall height should retain the quicker steering you get with the Redline. You can get the Pirelli P6 in this size on tire rack for $85 each. I bought some Yokohamas from discounttiredirect for $125 shipped. I will post some pics when I get them installed later this week.

VUE TO KILL 11-01-2006 12:23 AM

[QUOTE=popp]buy mine for 500 total......[/QUOTE]
Is that $500 Canadian?

popp 11-01-2006 01:43 AM

[QUOTE=VUE TO KILL]Is that $500 Canadian?[/QUOTE]

don't be silly

drivehard 11-02-2006 08:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are the pics I promised. Like I suspected, the spedometer is dead on (confirmed by GPS). The noise is also reduced...this could be due to the slightly narrower tread profile, or the new tread design. I am really happy on my decision, and hope this helps other members spend less money on their Redline replacement tires. Again, this size is 225/55-18.

BlackR/L 11-02-2006 09:10 PM

Thanks for the photos. Without inspecting my car to compare, I can't tell the difference in the tire size.

BlackBoyVUERL 11-07-2006 05:33 PM

This really helpful...now I know the 235's won't be too narrow since your 225 looks good. I'm 90% sure that I'm going to 235/55/18 - probably the Bridgestone Alenza. I will post pics once installed.

crj19 11-07-2006 11:37 PM

Just my opinion but I think they look to narrow, those are skinnier that a 4cly VUE.

BlackBoyVUERL 11-08-2006 01:30 AM

Yeah...I agree 225 is a little too small for my taste. I'm going back and forth between 255/55/18 and 235/55/18.

I know 235/55/18 is more practical and functional...but I'll be upset if I drop the money for them and they look the same as the 245/50/18, with all that room in the wheel well.

The 255's weight 5-7 lbs more per tire resulting in slower pick-up speed, possibly slower braking due to weight and diameter and strain on the drivetrain...but I know they will give my ride the beef I want.

245/55/18 is not an option anymore because the one tire that comes in that size isn't versatile enough for me and has gotten bad reviews.

I wish I had a pic of someone with the 235's on...

Dante 11-11-2006 01:13 AM

Anybody have any thoughts on these Kumho's?

[url]http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rcz=76137&rc=TFWINT&c=1&cf=false&cs=245&pc=33515&rd=18&ar=50&ct=&rf=true[/url]

I hope that link works... They are Kumho Ecsta SPT 245/50R-18 100W BSW
$138.00 each. Not a bad price, I've heard plenty of good reviews about Kumho's in general. I'm also considering Yokohama ADVAN S.4 in same size. They are $193 on Tirerack.com... I had Yokohama's on my old truck and they were pretty good. Kept balance well, wore evenly, all that.

For the price of the Kumho's, even if I don't like them that much, they're so much less, I can afford to thrash them and get a new set sooner rather than later! Even if they only get 2/3 the miles of a more expensive tire, at least you aren't stuck with the same tires forever. Not that I really enjoy shelling out close to a grand on tires, but it's easier in smaller doses a little more frequently, I think.

BobbyP 11-11-2006 01:49 AM

[QUOTE=Dante]Anybody have any thoughts on these Kumho's?

[url]http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireDetail.do?rcz=76137&rc=TFWINT&c=1&cf=false&cs=245&pc=33515&rd=18&ar=50&ct=&rf=true[/url]

$138.00 each. Not a bad price, I've heard plenty of good reviews about Kumho's in general. I'm also considering Yokohama ADVAN S.4 in same size. They are $193 on Tirerack.com... I had Yokohama's on my old truck and they were pretty good. Kept balance well, wore evenly, all that.

For the price of the Kumho's, even if I don't like them that much, they're so much less, I can afford to thrash them and get a new set sooner rather than later! Even if they only get 2/3 the miles of a more expensive tire, at least you aren't stuck with the same tires forever. Not that I really enjoy shelling out close to a grand on tires, but it's easier in smaller doses a little more frequently, I think.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Dante. I'm going to look awfully hard at the Kumho and keep the original tire sizing. I couldn't find the same size in the Turanza EL400's.

The Kumho Ecsta SPT 245/50R-18 100W BSW is $123 each from tirerack.com.

Until I try a different tire it's hard to judge the Turanza EL42's. They do seem to do everything well, but I only have 3500 miles on them.

BlackR/L 11-11-2006 10:09 AM

The Kumho Ecsta SPT tires are strictly [B][U]Summer[/U][/B] tires.

GearGuy 11-11-2006 01:28 PM

Here is a tire diameter comparison for 18 inch tires. All compared to my tires' size of 235/60-17, which is the largest diameter OE tire by calculation.
Tire widths shown are based on calculation and there is no guarantee that they will fit.

[url=http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=32903][img]http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/data/12610/thumbs/Vue_18_inch_tire_sizes.JPG[/img][/url]

Note that the RL tire is the smallest diameter, by calculation, of all the OE tire sizes. I don't know if the RL speedometer is properly calibrated or if it is close enough not to matter. If the calibration is based off of the 215/70-16 tire, then the 235/60-17 is about .5 mph up and the RL 245/50-18 is about .5 mph down (at 60 mph).

Dante 11-11-2006 11:54 PM

I've got almost 40k on my Turanza's, and they are pretty decent performance wise, but I noticed that after the first year and a half (basically, by the end of the 2nd summer I had them) they started getting pretty hard. I guess the heat cooked them, now they are just not as grippy, regardless of the conditions. They do pretty well with not hydroplaning, but if you stomp it in the wet now, you spin all four tires. Yes, my AWD still actually works like it did when I bought it. :D While I enjoy that immensely, there was a time where you could stomp it in the pouring rain and you'd get a little front wheel slip, kick in the AWD, and bam, you just launched like a rocket. Now you just sit on the pad making noise! LOL The worst complaints I have now is that they are hardening up more and more with time, their wet traction is really starting to suffer, and my god they are noisy nowadays. The wear bars aren't flush with the tread yet, but I'm getting pretty close. That, and I have a nail in one and a screw in the other in the rear. Argh!

I realize the Kumho's are strictly summer tires, but keep in mind, I live in DFW, TX. If we're lucky, we get one day with any sort of snow/ice/sleet, and generally speaking, the entire damn town shuts down until it thaws out. My wife's SL2 has really good all-season tires, and if I HAD to drive in cold, icy weather, I'd drive her car. Besides, I'd rather risk jacking up her ride than mine. :D

In all honesty, I should look for something with awesome wet traction since I drive my car pretty much only either on the weekends or when it's raining, since I ride my bike the rest of the time to work. Hrmmmm... the search continues. I just can't fathom shelling out a grand to replace the OEM tires with the same equipment when I've been seriously underwhelmed with their performance as they've gotten older.

BobbyP 11-12-2006 12:24 AM

[QUOTE=BlackR/L]The Kumho Ecsta SPT tires are strictly [B][U]Summer[/U][/B] tires.[/QUOTE]

My RL would probably never leave New Orleans unless another hurricane comes. Then I'll be heading back to Dallas for a few weeks.

JBravo 12-06-2006 10:06 PM

[QUOTE=Dante;940188]Anybody have any thoughts on these Kumho's?

For the price of the Kumho's, even if I don't like them that much, they're so much less, I can afford to thrash them and get a new set sooner rather than later! Even if they only get 2/3 the miles of a more expensive tire, at least you aren't stuck with the same tires forever. Not that I really enjoy shelling out close to a grand on tires, but it's easier in smaller doses a little more frequently, I think.[/QUOTE]

i bought these Kumhos and put them on my 05 fwd r/l after only getting 20k out of the oem bridgestones since i didn't want to spend the $300+ on new bridgestones. I live in Phx, AZ so that gives you an idea about the climate. These tires are ALOT softer compound and will NOT last as long. I replaced all 4 tires with the Kumhos. They handled GREAT and were nice and sticky for excellent traction but sad to say that you must give away some mileage. I only got 4k miles on the set on my frontend. I went in to rotate the tires and they were just about at the wear bars. :(

Yes they are nice and cheap, but i will not be buying these again. One more thing to know about oem tires that the guys at discount told me. OEM tires that come on the vehicle from the factory are different than the actual OEM replacements that they sell at tire stores. GM saves money by selling a tire that has slightly less tread depth than Bridgestones actual OEM replacement.

I think now i will look at getting the 235's that some have mentioned about getting as the 225's look too small.

drivehard 12-07-2006 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=crj19;937934]Just my opinion but I think they look to narrow, those are skinnier that a 4cly VUE.[/QUOTE]

No they aren't. The standard size on the FWD 4 cyl. Vue is 215/70-16. They are skinnier than the optional size available on the 4 cyl. of 235/65-16.

Other than looks, there is no reason to choose the 235 or 245 over the 225 widths (unless you are autocrossing or live in an area the rarely sees rain or snow). Pretty sure if you were blindfolded and put in the car then allowed to drive it (obviously after removing the blindfold) you would be impressed with this size, and choose it over the stock size.

djb383 12-07-2006 12:04 PM

[QUOTE=drivehard;956161]No they aren't. The standard size on the FWD 4 cyl. Vue is 215/70-16. They are skinnier than the optional size available on the 4 cyl. of 235/65-16.

Other than looks, there is no reason to choose the 235 or 245 over the 225 widths (unless you are autocrossing or live in an area the rarely sees rain or snow). Pretty sure if you were blindfolded and put in the car then allowed to drive it (obviously after removing the blindfold) you would be impressed with this size, and choose it over the stock size.[/QUOTE]

I agree totally. Even though we have a non-RL, the 235/60/17 OE size is hard to find and somewhat expensive also. A number of people have posted about tranny shifting issues when going to 235/65/17, which is a more common size. We went with the Kumho Solus KH16 225/60/17 (which is virtually identical diameter to OE RL) and this size offers a wide selection to choose from. Tranny shifting issues are non-existant, due to a little less load on the engine.