SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Does TranSynd improve M/T shift smoothness? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238011)

Fishfreq 09-01-2019 03:54 PM

Does TranSynd improve M/T shift smoothness?

For those of you that changed your 5 speed M/T transmission fluid to that Transynd TES 295 synthetic oil; did it improve the smoothness of your tranny shifts? If so, how much diff did it make?

OldNuc 09-01-2019 04:09 PM

Re: Does TranSynd improve M/T shift smoothness?

It depends completely on which one of the multiple products that you end up buying. Amsoil Torque Drive tends to do that but nothing fixes the 1st gear blocking issue.

Fishfreq 09-02-2019 11:36 AM

[QUOTE=OldNuc;2305980]It depends completely on which one of the multiple products that you end up buying. Amsoil Torque Drive tends to do that but nothing fixes the 1st gear blocking issue.[/QUOTE]

Thanks OldNuc. Once upon a time I switched from stock gear oil to the specified Redline synthetic in another brand vehicle and it shifted amazing, well, noticeably smoother into every gear while moving. It was worth the price.

Aren't all Transynd spec oils fully synthetic just like Amsoil? Torque Drive isn't even certified 'fully spec' by Allison is it? Supposedly just 'similar to TES295'?

So that first gear blocking while sitting still isn't helped by oil, it's a design issue?

Sid 09-02-2019 12:03 PM

What is the first gear blocking issue?

OldNuc 09-02-2019 01:17 PM

Can not select 1st gear when rolling from 2nd.

Sid 09-02-2019 04:26 PM

Oh boy. I've known for a lot of years (maybe even 23) that it's a little flaky shifting into first sometimes but didn't know about this blocking. :)

OldNuc 09-02-2019 04:52 PM

It is a design feature and it is supposed to do that. This is why it is not easy and usually just not going to happen on a down shift or neutral into first while rolling.

Macgyver 09-02-2019 07:46 PM

Typically I can shift back into first when the car is moving. The trick is to stab the gas and get the revs around 3-4k. Purposely overshoot the revs by around 500 and the trans should let you go back into first smoothly.

OldNuc 09-02-2019 08:24 PM

That defeats the design feature unless you do it wrong then things bend. There are no replacement parts for what usually bends so it becomes J/Y trans time.

hholbein 09-03-2019 11:29 AM

I switched to Transynd about 10 years ago. Modest improvement. But the same stuff worked wonders with my power steering pump. I purged it 7+ times to clear out the factory ATF and it's worked like a champ since then.

OldNuc 09-03-2019 12:07 PM

Transynd ,may be either dex 3 or dex 6 compatible type product and it is near impossible to tell which is which as either may be listed as meeting the 295 spec. The Saturn transmission is not rated for dex-6 and dex-6 compatible is the current version of transcend. The Amsoil Torque Drive is Dex 3 only. Use the wrong fluid and you will experience no to minimal improvement.

hholbein 09-03-2019 01:35 PM

The Transynd I used was far enough back it was Dexron III only. Mobil 1 has a synthetic DexIII as well.

Sid 09-03-2019 02:28 PM

I'm using Amsoil Torque Drive in the transmission and power steering. Shifting is noticeably improved over Mobile One ATF. Also, the power steering pump had a whine which has quieted down.

On the blocking, I'll shift from 2nd to 1st while rolling slowly by double clutching but not getting anywhere near 3-4k rpm! Wow.

alordofchaos 09-03-2019 03:58 PM

[QUOTE=Fishfreq;2306030]
Aren't all Transynd spec oils fully synthetic just like Amsoil? [/quote] Sort of, but not really.

[url]https://www.allisontransmission.com/parts-service/approved-fluids[/url]
[QUOTE]All Allison TES 295 approved fluids are [B]synthetic based[/B] which offer improved viscosity that other fluids canít offer.
[/QUOTE] Synthetic-based is not the same as "fully" synthetic. And even if it were, "synthetic" as used in the US only means "substantially changed" and is not a real standard for anything.

[quote]
Torque Drive isn't even certified 'fully spec' by Allison is it? Supposedly just 'similar to TES295'?[/QUOTE] Correct, it costs time and money to be certified TES 295 (r).

Typically, to meet a proprietary certification, the certifying body lists all the requirements you have to meet.

Engineers go about creating and testing something that will meet the standards, then the company pays a money to the certifying body, who will also test the product and certify it if it passes.

However, if you want to save some time and money, the company can skip the last part and sell their product as "similar to". This product might still meet or exceed the certification standard, even if not certified.

Whether the product is as good as the company says, you either have to trust them (or not) because they are not certified for that application.

Can't say that their product meets (or exceeds) whatever the certification is because then you get "cease and desist" orders :D

But both Amsoil, UOAs, and the internet have been around for a while now. How many complaints about Amsoil have you seen?

OldNuc 09-03-2019 04:33 PM

Allison OWNS the only certification facility and collects royalties on every gallon of CERTIFIED fluid. Beyond that they will only certify the Castrol produced fluids. That is why no other fluid produced by any other oil company exists.

The Torque-Drive is a full synthetic and likewise the TransSynd produced and sold in EUROPE is a full synthetic. You will look long and hard to find a gallon of Castrol branded TransSynd in the US. It does exist but is rare.

mattwithcats 09-03-2019 08:21 PM

Put a Wix 33033 filter on the power steering return line...
Vast improvement in noise and force of steering...

Signmaster 09-03-2019 11:29 PM

[QUOTE=OldNuc;2306122]Allison OWNS the only certification facility and collects royalties on every gallon of CERTIFIED fluid. Beyond that they will only certify the Castrol produced fluids. That is why no other fluid produced by any other oil company exists.

[/QUOTE]

Do you make this stuff up as you type it or do they teach it in Amsoil marketing classes?

Are Mobil and Castrol in a joint venture?

1996SL11.9L 09-04-2019 12:00 AM

When I do my manual Iím going to try ATF4. I have a ton of it and if I donít like it, it became a flush.

OldNuc 09-04-2019 07:50 AM

ATF4 should work. No idea if it will improve anything over the now Universal ATF marked as Dexron/Mercon Compatible which is the present Dex-3 replacement. Beware the issue with these transmissions is the dissolving the glue that holds the friction material onto the synchro blocking rings. Generally the fluid must be synchromesh compatible and then you can use it.

Signmaster 09-04-2019 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=Fishfreq;2306030]Thanks OldNuc. Once upon a time I switched from stock gear oil to the specified Redline synthetic in another brand vehicle and it shifted amazing, well, noticeably smoother into every gear while moving. It was worth the price.

Aren't all Transynd spec oils fully synthetic just like Amsoil? Torque Drive isn't even certified 'fully spec' by Allison is it? Supposedly just 'similar to TES295'?

So that first gear blocking while sitting still isn't helped by oil, it's a design issue?[/QUOTE]

The Transynd is a Group IV fluid, as are all the major oils that have been TES 295 approved for years.

The Transynd has and has had for years product data sheets with the specifics.

Allison allowed outside testing.

Companies other than Castrol have (and have had for years) approved fluids.

Amsoil never submitted for testing. They make a lot of smoke and mirrors about it.

The engineer that wrote most of the specs, did the testing, etc retired from Allison and has been active on a number of forums for years now. He clears up a lot of myths concerning fluids (such as "they won't allow us to test") as well as the reasons for the Dex VI confusion in the Allison transmissions. People can listen to the myths, or get the info from the guy that has loads more data than we do.