SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   2000 SL1, Saturn dealership or independent garage? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130893)

BigBen 12-19-2008 09:51 PM

2000 SL1, Saturn dealership or independent garage?

My 2000 SL1 has 140,000 miles, and still runs like a champ.
With the exception of oil & filter changes, I've done very little preventive maintenance on the car. (I know, that's not a good thing to do)

It's way over due for routine maintenance, such as: cooling system flush, hoses & fuel filter replacement, trans service, etc.

Should I bring it to my Saturn dealership, or an independent garage for service?

OldNuc 12-19-2008 10:01 PM

Re: 2000 SL1, Saturn dealership or independent garage?

You would probably want to consider doing most of this work your self. The cost at any shop will be high and the money you save will more than buy the tools you need to do it yourself. As you have a 2000 thee are several things you should do as corrective maintenance anyway.

BigBen 12-19-2008 10:13 PM

[QUOTE=OldNuc;1368973]You would probably want to consider doing most of this work your self. The cost at any shop will be high and the money you save will more than buy the tools you need to do it yourself. [/QUOTE]

I have no interest in doing the work myself. I work long hours on my job, and paying someone else to do the work is well within my buget. I've got better things to do on my limited free time.

OldNuc 12-19-2008 10:28 PM

Then I would go with an independent shop that admitted to some experience with Saturn cars. You should have the ECTS replaced with any other work you have done as yours is probably plastic and will fail.

JerryHughes 12-20-2008 12:26 AM

I agree with Old Nuc. But with the mileage you've got, you've got a lot of work to do! Good luck,

Jerry

DonP 12-20-2008 10:50 AM

If cost/budget is not an issue, you are indeed a fortunate Saturn owner. Go with whom ever you trust most with you car. Check with friends, the local BBB, etc. for a track record of the service provider you are considering. A Saturn dealer will usually be somewhat higher priced due to dealership shop rates, should know the car better than most independent shops, will usually use OEM parts, and ultimately have GM behind their work (if that is of significant value these uncertain days).

However, a given independent might be better, depending on the shop and how they do business in their community, and most routine things do not require much in the way of unique or hard to find Saturn-specific knowledge. And with an independent you might have more control over what they do.

Keep in mind that neither the dealerships nor the independents have a monopoly on getting it right. Either can make mistakes and trap you into unnecessary work or do poor work.

What to expect? If no significant repair or maintenance (beyond routine oil changes) has been performed on the car to date, you have reached the age where a number of maintenance-repair type items can typically be expected. Surf the forums here and you will get a good feel for what they are. But what you car will need depends on the specifics of your car.

Many folks here either enjoy working on their cars, work on their cars to save money, and/or to be sure it is done right.

Enjoy!