SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Relay Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   2005 Relay 3 - DVD Problem (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112486)

Mark Gambo 01-23-2008 05:23 PM

2005 Relay 3 - DVD Problem

I was having a problem with my 2005 Relay 3 (74K Miles). Whenever the car would sit for more than one day the battery would die and I would have to jump the car in order to start it. Today I brought the car to the dealer in order for them to diagnosis the problem. They told me that there was a 58 milli Amp (mA) drain on the battery when the vehicle was turned off. The specs are 10-15 mA drain on the battery.

The Technician tracked the drain to the DVD player. He thinks that it must have a short inside of the unit because when he unplugged it the drain went down to 12 mA. They told me I could install a new DVD Player which will cost me about $1200.00 or they could disconnect it. I choose the latter.

Now I was wondering what my next step is, any suggestions?

Mark

steffy628 01-23-2008 07:06 PM

Re: 2005 Relay 3 - DVD Problem

My suggestion would be to watch e-bay. They often have units on there that go at pretty low costs. Watch for a matching interior color to pop up and snatch it up. I'd wait for one with some sort of guarantee on their unit pops up before I'd buy. (feedback scores are a good indicator too)

Then if you need assistance in a DIY swap of the unit...I'm sure they'll be plenty of members on here that can guide you through the process.

Spencer

IsaySaturn 01-28-2008 05:10 AM

An aftermarket replacement not using any of the OE system wires.

Toadfish 01-28-2008 07:47 AM

Local auto scrap yard?

john95SW2 01-31-2008 12:35 PM

I'm assuming that the player works fine otherwise...

Where did the tech disconnect the player? Under the dash, at the player itself? Somewhere else?

Here's my thought - with a multimeter, you could probe the wires where he disconnected the player to figure out which one is the power wire. Then you hook the power only to a switch which you could mount under the dash or wherever is convenient. Then when you want to use the player, turn the switch on. Turn it off when you're not using it to stop draining the battery.

Sure beats $ 1200 for a new one. Just a thought.

WopOnTour 02-26-2008 12:38 AM

Do you happen to have Phatnoise? (Option Code UMS)
If so you may wish to call the supplier "Model Electronics: directly at 1-800-433-9657 for a replacement data cartridge. There is a known condition where software within the mobile media player causes the exact parasitic drain conditions you describe.
HTH
WopOnTour