SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Spaceman's BYOB-DOHC Rebuild Partythread (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231231)

Jeeprz! 12-27-2018 08:57 PM

Re: Spaceman's BYOB-DOHC Rebuild Partythread

An OHighO HighKu for Space_Suitor

"the car was complete and ran when I bought it"
"Potland, OR,"
"conked out on 4/20"

;)

Space_Suitor 12-28-2018 01:32 PM

:p :p :p :p

I LOVE IT! :yes:

Space_Suitor 12-29-2018 12:41 AM

I'm really trying to keep it together here, but this whole thing is bonkers at every step of the way.

Tonight I was down there putting some finishing touches on in terms of missing bolts I had to acquire from junkyard; ready to install the new idler pulley when [I]*tink-clink-clink[/I] something fell and landed on the floor by my foot and it was a chunk of the sidecover which protrudes like a flange for the pulley bolt to run through....just.....fell the F off. :upset::cry::dizzy:

So there's a monkey for your haiku!
What my gon' do???

Space_Suitor 12-29-2018 01:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:eek::eek:

Can you believe this ****??

Not thrilled, since I'm about to go work out of town for a few days.

Coming from eBay seems might be at least $50. Not really thrilled to pull one from the junkyard OR to tear my freakin' project apart now that it, you know,...IT'S ALL BOLTED IN FKK!NG PLACE! :hothead:

Already have steel puttied a crack inside and out on this plate obtained during dismantling. Also missing the lower "Center Bolt", cuz I lost the original and the one I got from junkyard didn't fit!

OK so let's vote, all of you, YEA or NAY;
SHOULD I TRY TO GLUE THIS BACK ON?

W1PIT 12-29-2018 09:00 PM

I'll post the first "are you serious"??

Jeeprz! 12-29-2018 09:32 PM

I'll post the first "are you HIGH!?!" :p

Anyway, from your pic, it appears there are threads left in the hole, although I cant tell how many, so the bolt might still have enough metal to grab onto, the broke bit that "used to be not broke when I got it" cast into the part might act as a spacer from what I see, but i'm probably wrong, if I was in your spot I would "glue" it back on, and give it a shot, if it wont work, you will find out fast, during reassembly, meaning, there weren't enough threads left in the hole, but there are thirteen commas in my reply, so that's kinda something.

Also, I'm thinking you used the wrong bolt, it bottomed out and cracked that fiddly bit off, or you didn't torque it down evenly, and the side load caused distortion which made it snap, it looks like cast aluminum, and cast aluminum doesn't like Social Distortion, but I sure do! (saw them live several times).

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otZ1SfwbE64[/url]

Jeeprz! 12-29-2018 09:42 PM

Oh, and even if you manage to get it back together, and make it work, and your too stoned to go pull one yourself from a boneyard, and you already "glued" a crack in it, I would suggest, ordering that one from eBay, or where ever to replace it when you have more time, because now, it is a point of future failure, and no one on this board want's to see you fail in the future, except that one guy, but nobody like's him anyway.

Space_Suitor 12-30-2018 01:08 AM

Drinkin' and wrenchin' as been an American tradition since the get-go, but whiskey makes me sleepy.

Plenty of weed onhand will help me power through a whole night of silent polishing or whathave you right until a bleary-eyed 5am. Plus, it doesn't rob me of my physical dexterity or my intellectual capacity, much.

But hey, if you're a sober old fart you are still welcome in my shop! :tounge:

It's possible I over-torqued the bolt on the test-fitting. I also wonder if it took motor weight on the pulley, getting hung up when I dropped the assembly in.

Either way, I am not above pulling one at the junkyard. I'm not LAZY, but the pouring-@$$ rain in Portland is not to be taken lightly. I have spent many bleary hours doing just that. It is a familiar experience I'm no longer keen for.

But no, I don't want my project to fail because I cheaped-out at the last minute. I appreciate your encouragement to do the right thing.

Space_Suitor 01-05-2019 06:25 PM

Tried the glue.....big surprise, it didn't even come close to holding!

Soooooo here I am, back at the ollllld boneyard.

At least it's not raining today!

VUEmaniac 01-05-2019 06:33 PM

[QUOTE=Space_Suitor;2289716]Tried the glue.....big surprise, it didn't even come close to holding!

Soooooo here I am, back at the ollllld boneyard.

At least it's not raining today![/QUOTE]

JB Weld will probably hold. The bolt should help with keeping it all together and that piece that sheared off is effectively a spacer anyway. I still wouldn't honk down on it when you torque it back up.

Best,

Space_Suitor 01-06-2019 01:14 AM

I spent several hours at the junkyard and got everything off except one friggin' bolt!

I managed to break my 10mm 1/4 inch socket, which turns out to be the one required to extract final bolt.

Back to it tomorrow........

OldNuc 01-06-2019 10:23 AM

Shearing off the idler pulley boss is common as the listed torque specification is excessive for aged aluminum, think something like 12-14ft-lb is plenty and use loctite on it. No you can not put it back on and hope it will work unless you want to limit max RPM to 3K absolute and plan on a sudden failure in the future somewhere when it is at maximum inconvenience.

Replace the timing cover.

Space_Suitor 01-08-2019 02:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Timing cover replaced and everything else re-installed over top of it. What a pain in the butt! Nervous now because the engine bay clearance leaves something to be desired. I went pretty thick on the gasket this time but worried about the seal where oil pan mates T.C., as the angle seems to scrape the goop right off as you slide inward into place.

I have almost everything installed but I still need to pull some more parts because i broke off an electrical tab that looks like a bus fuse on the transmission shift-linkage assembly.

I also murdered the clips which hold the shifter cable in place against tranny housing, so I suppose I'll be going after that as well.

Yes, I'm very excited to have all the electricals connected and accessories installed and can't wait to be finished here, I can see that checkered flag in the distance...

Waiex191 01-08-2019 02:54 PM

This sober old fart had to pull the timing cover because I forgot the o-rings. When I put it back on it leaked badly. I pulled the oil pan, resealed it, and it has been good since.

alordofchaos 01-08-2019 03:55 PM

Those blue sleeves look good with the blue wires and manifold.

I should dress up my engine a bit :)

OldNuc 01-08-2019 06:14 PM

There are numbers molded into that bar the plug wires are clipped into. The order is important.

Space_Suitor 01-08-2019 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=OldNuc;2289932]There are numbers molded into that bar the plug wires are clipped into. The order is important.[/QUOTE]

Nice work, eagle-eye.

I've done my best to get everything routed correctly, but there are a couple other places where I have taken creative liberties.

OK, so I know these things are recommended Dex-Cool, but how problematic would it be to start it out using a conventional/multi compatible coolant, which I seem to have several containers of various of. DEX??

OldNuc 01-08-2019 09:53 PM

Use an all makes all models universal antifreeze. Buy 1 gallon of 100% antifreeze and top off with distilled water. That will do it correctly and provide some margin for inhibitor depletion over time.

DexCool is now just a licensed name that is applied to several different formulations which may or may not be compatible with each other which adds to the confusion. The universal clears all of this up now and into the future.

Space_Suitor 01-08-2019 10:52 PM

You are rockin' my world OldNuc. So funny that's your s/n, as my real life moniker is Knucklehead Nate!

Anyhow, I am so close to finished now it is scary. Airbox and battery in place. Swapped the shift cable and switch. Vacuum hoses and electrical checked and rechecked.

So, I know about the filling and injecting the oil, the cranking with removal of injector fuse.

....any last words of advice or prayers be said better make it quick!

OldNuc 01-08-2019 11:05 PM

Pull PCM B fuse and leave the rest of them alone. This way you do not confuse the PCM and foul up the actual first start.