SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Vue timing belt replacement, 2003 V6 (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93335)

claw218 01-30-2007 08:25 PM

Vue timing belt replacement, 2003 V6

I am wondering if the timing belt replacement can be completed sucessfully without any of the special tools that are referenced in instructions (like the ones on alldatadiy's web site). The instructions reference camshaft locks & a wedge tool for the crankshaft. The wedge looks easy enough to fabricate if you really had to.

Bigdaddy94sc2 01-31-2007 04:30 AM

Re: Vue timing belt replacement, 2003 V6

Honestly, I dont think so. I hate to admit it, but the crank tool, the wedge, the cam locks, and the lack of timing marks on the new belts make it a royal PITA without the tools. Just my .02 though.

jdmessner 01-31-2007 09:58 AM

Changing a timing belt is NOT a maintenance proceedure recommended for a backyard mechanic.

Without the proper tools, you run the risk of accidently advancing the crank or cam shaft that will result in the least, throwing off the engine timing or more seriously, causing a cylinder to advance and strike an open valve damaging both the cylinder head and the valve.

Replacement of the timingbelt is not mandatory, but failure to do so will eventually lead to belt failure and possible engine damage.

Yes, having the timing belt changed professionally is expensive, but that cost is signifigantly less than that of a new engine which you could need should you make a mistake.

Recommendation: Take it to a PROFESSIONAL.

burlyvue2 02-03-2007 12:48 AM

claw218, :no:

Do yourself and your vehicle a HUGE benefit and get it done by a pro. If they screw it up it is their problem and will be remedied. If you make a mistake it's all yours. I agree with jdmessner. Get it done by a Pro.

:flag:

ksion15 02-03-2007 01:20 AM

[QUOTE=Bigdaddy94sc2;989782] and the lack of timing marks on the new belts make it a royal PITA [/QUOTE]

don't you hate that. they give us marks for 6 years, and you get used to having them, then, they take them away. i've done about 6 now without the marks, and am getting used to it, but why do that?

Bigdaddy94sc2 02-03-2007 01:43 AM

[QUOTE=ksion15;992125]don't you hate that. they give us marks for 6 years, and you get used to having them, then, they take them away. i've done about 6 now without the marks, and am getting used to it, but why do that?[/QUOTE]

Only thing I can come up with was to save like .20 per unit, but it now takes longer and they charge more for the part.... I am confused... But yeah, I am getting used to it, but it is definitely different and takes some getting used to.

IMkenNY 02-03-2007 12:27 PM

[QUOTE=claw218;989528]I am wondering if the timing belt replacement can be completed sucessfully without any of the special tools that are referenced in instructions (like the ones on alldatadiy's web site). The instructions reference camshaft locks & a wedge tool for the crankshaft. The wedge looks easy enough to fabricate if you really had to.[/QUOTE]

I had no problem replacing mine without any of the specialty tools, the cam sprockets stayed in position very nicely. The only confusing part I ran across is the double set of timing marks on the cam sprockets (I recall it was A & B depending what bank it was) Just make note of the mark used before taking the old belt off.

When I did mine I had the timing marks on the belt, I wonder if the aftermarket belts are marked?

Do yourself a favor and replace the water pump as well. There is a brand new one selling on ebay and as long as no one reads this thread it will sell bellow dealer cost