SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Relay General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Relay DVD Problems (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58562)

matthew999 07-27-2005 12:58 PM

Relay DVD Problems

My Relay FWD-2 had flickering dash/head lamps problem and the DVD buzzing sound when playing DVD audio through the car speakers and accelerating. After the days it lost the ability to play a DVD and the radio at the same time. Specifically, it couldn't play DVD audio through the wireless headphones while the radio was playing through the car speakers. The DVD video would shut down during radio play. Saturn service had the car for two days, replaced the alternator and added a second ground wire. I'm not sure if the new alternator had higher Amps. Anyway, the buzzing sound and flickering issue went away. The DVD audio was partially fixed. The system will only function properly (DVD audio through headphones and radio through car speakers) if you press the PLAY button on the DVD player first. If the DVD starts playing any other way, such as automatically starting after engine starts, the DVD Video and Audio cut out immediately after playing the radio... just as it did previously. I suppose I'll live with this shortcoming and take no further action. Did anyone have a similar experience with the DVD cutting off? Does anyone have any thoughts as to what happened or what the next steps (if any) should be?

BobL 07-28-2005 07:25 AM

Re: Relay DVD Problems

If the system doesn't work as designed, you paid big bucks for a bad option.

Press dealer to contact Saturn technical assistance for a resolution.

If they can't fx it, consider the following:

1. Demand removal of the option, restoration of the vehicle so removal doesn't show, and a refund of the option price.

2. Give saturn the required number of repair attempts required by your state and return the vehicle via lemon law.

This can be fixed.

cdp326 07-28-2005 03:41 PM

Unless he's in Canada where it is optional, all the Relays and GM vans have the DVD player standard. In any event, I don't think this would qualify for lemon law. Although I don't know too much about all lemon laws, the DVD player still can function as designed if you set it up right and doesn't affect the core functionality of the vehicle. I'd try getting a replacement DVD player first.

BobL 07-30-2005 03:44 PM

If a defect materially reduces the value of your vehicle, many states will let you go lemon law.

With kids a DVD makes a big difference, so it may qualify.

KenSatrun 07-31-2005 01:38 PM

I've driven many Relay's with DVD, and have not experience the issue you describe. Work with your retailer to investigate and get it fixed. I don't understand why the first post suggests you take the lemon law route!

BobL 08-01-2005 08:20 AM

My comment would only become effective if the dealer made the required number of repair attempts without solving the problem.

Of course, the dealer should be contacted again, then Saturn customer assistance.

Sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

justvisiting 01-22-2013 01:25 PM

This thread relates to my question. This is my first exposure to a vehicle with DVD. I've done some basic tinkering and I have not found an answer in the manual.

I want to know how to operate the radio / cd separate from the DVD either through front / rear speaker chanels or speakers / headphone chanels. What are the capabilities of the stock radio here and how is it done?

KenSatrun 01-23-2013 12:21 AM

[QUOTE=justvisiting;1946320]This thread relates to my question. This is my first exposure to a vehicle with DVD. I've done some basic tinkering and I have not found an answer in the manual.

I want to know how to operate the radio / cd separate from the DVD either through front / rear speaker chanels or speakers / headphone chanels. What are the capabilities of the stock radio here and how is it done?[/QUOTE]

LOL...well, it's been 8 years since my post above - do I even remember this answer?!?!?!?!?!?

When your rear passengers are watching DVD's (I assume they are using headphones), you should have full control over your radio up front, free to listen to AM/FM/XM or CD. Or if you want, you can listen to the DVD sound over the speakers too. If a DVD is playing, and you are not listening to it over the vehicle speakers (i.e. you are listing to AM/FM/XM or CD), I believe the rear speakers turn off.

Nice to read the owner's manual again after all these years!

KF - the one (and only) Relay Product Mgr..... Saturn RIP.