SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Delay in 2.4 ecotec? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38008)

kev152 07-06-2004 02:28 PM

Delay in 2.4 ecotec?

I read on another message board (not sure where, I forgot) that Chevy was going to significantly delay the introduction of teh 170hp 2.4 liter ecotec in the new Cobalt.
Sure enough, I went to chevy's website and when looking up the specs on the Cobalt, all mention of the 2.4 ecotec was removed from it (I know it was there just last week).
Does anyone have any confirmation on this from another source? Right now it doesn't look good.

Jaseball 07-06-2004 02:41 PM

I'd rather them pull it and fix whatever is wrong if there is a technical problem vs., releasing the engine and having safety or massive failures.

It could just be they have a delay in production equipment switch outs or some other logistical problem.

I wish the 2.4 was an option 2 years ago and if I were in the market for a Cobalt or Ion I'd wait to see how the new engine worked out before going with a 2.2, even though the 2.2 is tried and tested design that appears to be holding up well.

saturncanuck 07-06-2004 05:45 PM

Re: Delay in 2.4 ecotec?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by kev152 [/i]
[B]I read on another message board (not sure where, I forgot) that Chevy was going to significantly delay the introduction of teh 170hp 2.4 liter ecotec in the new Cobalt.
Sure enough, I went to chevy's website and when looking up the specs on the Cobalt, all mention of the 2.4 ecotec was removed from it (I know it was there just last week).
Does anyone have any confirmation on this from another source? Right now it doesn't look good. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well the 2.4 in the 2005 ION says mid-year, so what does that tell you?

PAGuy77 07-06-2004 08:01 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Jaseball [/i]
[B]I wish the 2.4 was an option 2 years ago and if I were in the market for a Cobalt or Ion I'd wait to see how the new engine worked out before going with a 2.2, even though the 2.2 is tried and tested design that appears to be holding up well. [/B][/QUOTE]

I agree. I wish this engine (2.4 L) was an option in the uplevel models when I purchased mine 2 years ago. Alas, it wasn't. I have enough fun with the 2.2 L as it is. ;) Let's hope they (Saturn/GM) can work the bugs out of the 2.4L before introducing it to the market.

Charlie 07-06-2004 08:41 PM

Preproduction 2.4L engines are already being built at Spring Hill and will reportedly be used for testing purposes. From what I understood, the plan has always been for both the ION and Cobalt to offer the engine as an mid-year option.

Charlie

rehm70 07-07-2004 11:02 AM

Good, at least I won't have to use a 30 hp shot of N.O.S. just to keep up with the damn thing

Bertillion 07-07-2004 11:06 AM

I bet GM will give it to us first and let Saturn owners work out all the bugs. Saturn will loose more customers because they hate their buggy cars. They will throw it in the Cobalt when everything is fixed and then it will be a miracle engine for Chevy.

atomicshark 07-07-2004 11:49 PM

Now don't be negative ;)

Black 96 SC2 07-08-2004 12:07 AM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by atomicshark [/i]
[B]Now don't be negative ;) [/B][/QUOTE] Who's being negative? Bertillion is just calling it like he sees it :D I can't say that GM doing something like that would surprise me, but I certainly hope they don't :dizzy: