SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue Red Line (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=32)
-   -   HELP!!! Trailing Arm Bracket Bolt Top Access Point Needed (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222563)

carvinbassplyr 07-09-2016 12:47 PM

HELP!!! Trailing Arm Bracket Bolt Top Access Point Needed

Trying to remove the trailing arm front bracket bolts and one of the tack welded nuts that the bolt threads into broke free from the car. So, now the bolt just spins freely and won't come the rest of the way out. Has anyone ever had to fix this and do you know of any access points? Obviously now the car isn't exactly driveable even if I put the rest back together as the bracket will be loose. Feeling really screwed...

far2grumpy 07-09-2016 01:59 PM

Re: HELP!!! Trailing Arm Bracket Bolt Top Access Point Needed

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=carvinbassplyr;2202656]Trying to remove the trailing arm front bracket bolts and one of the tack welded nuts that the bolt threads into broke free from the car. So, now the bolt just spins freely and won't come the rest of the way out. Has anyone ever had to fix this and do you know of any access points? Obviously now the car isn't exactly driveable even if I put the rest back together as the bracket will be loose. Feeling really screwed...[/QUOTE]

Not 100% certain my diagram applies - if it does it appears there's room to cut a slot for open-end wrench.

carvinbassplyr 07-09-2016 02:23 PM

[QUOTE=far2grumpy;2202664]Not 100% certain my diagram applies - if it does it appears there's room to cut a slot for open-end wrench.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU FOR THIS!!! Exploring that option now!

carvinbassplyr 07-09-2016 03:46 PM

Turns out it's a square nut in a box bracket design. Still having a hard time getting to whatever is slipping because of the box caged around the nut, keeping at it though. GM obviously expected people to just junk the car if this part went bad, this seems designed to never be serviced. Hopefully i can get it fixed :tear:

hoffnm 12-29-2019 05:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I had the same issue where the bolt turned but the nut was spinning on the back side. far2grumpy's image is what I went with...I cut a hole (to fit a plug I had), bottom of the hole was 1-1/4" from bottom (marking on bolt for nut engagement). See pics. I was able to get inside with a slip joint pliers and hold the nut after spraying with penetrating oil. First I tightened it back up holding it, then sprayed again, then loosened and it came right off. Their is a cage tacked welded in 3 places, this is supposed to hold the nut plate from turning. Mine was already broke free, if yours is spinning inside the cage, a punch/hammer should knock it loose so you can hold the nut plate. The nut plate is rectangle and measures 15/16" on one side and 1-3/8" on the other side. Bigger the hole the better the access.

[ATTACH]57586[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]57587[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]57588[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH]57589[/ATTACH]