SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The Last Minute!!! (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196980)

blackbeard 12-29-2013 01:42 AM

The Last Minute!!!

Ok, only a couple more days till the smog test and it is time to refill the gas. Should I use Chevron? High or low octane?
Does it matter?
Should I change the oil filter?
Seafoam it?
Clean the air filter?
Change the oil?
Put new spark plugs in it?
Change the o2 sensor?

caveeagle 12-29-2013 10:06 AM

Re: The Last Minute!!!

Do you have some reason to suspect it won't pass the smog test as-is??

That seems like a lot of work if your cars currently running ok.

billr 12-29-2013 01:00 PM

If the air filter and plugs are known to be cruddy, then replace them; forget all the rest (unless there is some other know problem, as said before). Go to a test station that gives a "free retest", they don't cost any more than others.

el diablo viejo 12-29-2013 04:27 PM

[QUOTE=billr;2032050]If the air filter and plugs are known to be cruddy, then replace them; forget all the rest (unless there is some other know problem, as said before). Go to a test station that gives a "free retest", they don't cost any more than others.[/QUOTE]

^^^^+1 Any check engine lights on ?

ehunter 12-29-2013 05:15 PM

Get yourself a USB laptop scanner for $20 to know if improvements can be made to your ignition burn characteristics.

I think the air filter, to a certain point, may be a waste of your money unless it is overly filthy. If it is just lightly or moderately dirty the computer compensates for any reduced air flow. In history it was more important to keep a clean air filter, but it is not as important today.

To be realistic though, make sure your plugs are cleaned, gapped, no corrosion on the wire set, and this will be the best you can do in a short period of time. Longer term get yourself a USB scanner. That will tell you where improvements can be made. Ask here if you are not sure which scanner package people prefer.

blackbeard 12-30-2013 01:11 AM

The problem is, last time I had it smogged, it barely passed. I really want to make sure it passes this time, otherwise the government will have succeeded at removing another good ol' car from the road.

code1bob 12-30-2013 01:51 AM

Make sure it is warmed up prior to the test.

I would be sure to have a clean air filter, also fresh oil. I also have some high octane fuel in the tank.
It is important to make sure the tech lets the vehicle get warmed up prior to starting the test. My tech seems to run it at about 2,000 rpm for a couple of minutes before he starts the test.