SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Astra Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=113)
-   -   Headlight Switch Wiring Layout (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193548)

stoickiwi 08-01-2013 02:07 PM

Headlight Switch Wiring Layout

So I'm wondering if anyone knows or has a diagram of the wires that are leading to the headlight/foglight switch on the Astra. I'm hoping that it has a 12v connection somewhere in all of those little wires that I may use to trigger the relay for my rear fog light install. :)

nicolas_p 08-02-2013 12:00 AM

Re: Headlight Switch Wiring Layout

[QUOTE=stoickiwi;1998221]So I'm wondering if anyone knows or has a diagram of the wires that are leading to the headlight/foglight switch on the Astra. I'm hoping that it has a 12v connection somewhere in all of those little wires that I may use to trigger the relay for my rear fog light install. :)[/QUOTE]

Try sending Romanster a PM, he's been tinkering with the light switch and rear fogs for a while

Astra La Vista! 08-02-2013 04:24 PM

[QUOTE=stoickiwi;1998221]So I'm wondering if anyone knows or has a diagram of the wires that are leading to the headlight/foglight switch on the Astra. I'm hoping that it has a 12v connection somewhere in all of those little wires that I may use to trigger the relay for my rear fog light install. :)[/QUOTE]

The headlight switch communicates with the various power distribution points through CAN-bus, so a "hot" signal at the switch may not necessarily work for you. Can you find a Grey w/ Blue wire at the back of the headlight switch and test it? This one [I]should[/I] feed power to the rear fusebox, which then in turn sends a signal to the engine bay fuse box to feed a constant 12V signal to either bulb. My guess is that the Grey w/ Blue feed is only temporary, so you'll either need some sort of latching relay for your rear fogs, or just run power straight from the final bulb circuit all the way back.

Don't you just love modern automobile electronics?

stoickiwi 08-02-2013 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=Astra La Vista!;1998460]...Can you find a Grey w/ Blue wire at the back of the headlight switch and test it? This one [I]should[/I] feed power to the rear fusebox, which then in turn sends a signal to the engine bay fuse box to feed a constant 12V signal to either bulb...Don't you just love modern automobile electronics?[/QUOTE]

I will grab the multimeter and check it out!
What I'm currently thinking of doing is to find a small low rated switch (1cm diameter, 2cm depth) and mount inside the switch box under the rear fog button. Connecting that switch to a 12v ignition source, then running a wire along the driver's side of the car and connecting it to a relay in the back fuse box area. I will then use that battery feed(?) at the fuse box to supply the power to the fog lights.
If I can find an appropriately small switch, everything should work.
I may just end up pulling the 12v from the fan controller if I can find one to do the job on the headlight switch assembly.
Pictured: the "battery feed" in the rear fuse box. Am I completely mistaken or is that what this is? I can't imagine wiring that thick being used for anything else. I tested it with the multimeter and it seemed okay.

stoickiwi 08-28-2013 11:22 AM

Just tinkered with it this weekend with my multimeter. It looks like the black wire in the headlight switch is 12v ignition. That makes this job a lot easier than taking the radio out and running a wire to the fan switch yet again. The rear fog lights are functional with a relay I set up in the back when I installed the amber signals. I just need to work in the button under the euro switches I got from Jarrow. I also plan on opening up the gauges and putting in an LED indicator to let me know when the are on.