SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Battery died now car wont start (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187928)

babygirlnes 01-13-2013 12:39 AM

Battery died now car wont start

:dizzy:I JUST GOT MY(18 YEAR OLD) SON A 2003 SATURN ION SEDAN 4DSD. IT HAS 68,000 MILES ON IT.MY SON WAS CLEANING IT OUT AND TURN THE RADIO ON FOR ABOUT AN HOUR KILLING THE BATTERY. WHEN TRYING TO REMOVE THE KEY, IT WAS STUCK. WE PLAYED WITH IT FOR AWHILE. FINALLY FOUND THE RELEASE BUTTON AND GOT KEY OUT. THEN JUMPED BATTERY WITH GOOD BATTERY CHARGER. CAR FULLY CHARGED (CAR CHIMES WHEN DOOR OPEN).BUT CANT GET CAR TO TURN ON.WHEN TURNING KEY I CAN HEAR CLICKING IN ENGINE, BUT IT WONT START. WHEN TURNING KEY TO START POSITION PASSLOCK COMES ON FOR A SECOND THEN GOES OUT. TIRED THE RELEARN PASSLOCK 30 MIN PROCEDURE THREE TIMES AND NOTHING.I DID GET THE SERVICE ENGINE AND PRW STER DISPLAYED IN THE DASH GAGE DURING THIS TEST. HELP THIS 18 YEAR OLD BOY IS DRIVING ME CRAZY. IT'S HIS FIRST CAR. ANY IDEALS?

2006 ion2 01-13-2013 12:52 AM

Re: Battery died now car wont start

you might try not having caps lock on next time, but sounds like a dead battery, the stereo shouldn't kill the battery in only one hour with a healthy battery (I run mine all the time for a couple hours), and the dome light is no indication of a healthy, or fully charged battery. take the battery out of the car and take it to an advance auto, auto zone, oreily, or napa, and have them test it.

"the battery died now the car won't start" you said it all in the title.

anmasher 01-13-2013 01:11 AM

If you have any kind of digital multimeter, volt/ohm, etc. You can somewhat accurately test the battery yourself.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arv0hutlz0Y[/url]
(It says alternator testing, but he tests the battery too).

babygirlnes 01-13-2013 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=2006 ion2;1943700]you might try not having caps lock on next time, but sounds like a dead battery, the stereo shouldn't kill the battery in only one hour with a healthy battery (I run mine all the time for a couple hours), and the dome light is no indication of a healthy, or fully charged battery. take the battery out of the car and take it to an advance auto, auto zone, oreily, or napa, and have them test it.

"the battery died now the car won't start" you said it all in the title.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the quick reply. i hope it's that simple. battery fully charged. doom light very bright, radio turned on and car chimes when door open. but after two hours battery and charger died (during the three atempts to relearn passlock). now i have to rejuice the charger. it's late so i'll try again in the am. may be a jump straight from my Saturn Vue. oh yeah the car has been sitting for about a month. thanks again.:ugh:

MeanGreen 01-13-2013 01:31 AM

I've got an aftermarket remote start system and have had no issues after the battery has died after a long period of sitting....had the same battery since 2005...two jumps in it's entire lifetime I don't get how others have it so hard!

Maybe I got lucky with some voodoo?

2006 ion2 01-13-2013 02:21 AM

Mine needed 4 jumps before my battery died (battery cable wasn't tight from the factory, and ran it dead a few times), then my battery died for good, and needed 3 more jumps before I could get it replaced. Never had an issue after getting the charge up high enough, even had to get creative to get it to pop start a couple times because nobody was around (ions don't like to pop start with dead batteries, btw).

fdryer 01-13-2013 04:11 PM

1-An '03 has had at least one battery replaced, possibly on its 3rd battery but without knowing any history its guessing. If its the second battery then it may be on its last legs and compounds the problems; a battery located in the trunk and less than ideal guidelines about jump starting from the engine side instead of from the trunk. Eliminating the long cables is one issue, poor labeling in the engine area is another as far as using jumper cables there.

2-Using a dead/discharged battery and attempting to jump start the engine/battery with long battery cables (trunk location) may be more difficult than most can imagine. The easiest way around all these issues and eliminating any questions about jump starting the best way would be to start with the best booster cables possible.

The best booster cables are sized by gauge; 2, 4 or 6 gauge should be used. The best (and not cheap) are 2 or 4 gauge booster cables that are made for every day use for a reason - they carry the welding current necessary to supply all the current from the [U]booster[/U] battery directly to the car that needs a jump start NOW. All other cheap discount battery jumpers are not made to do this at all -they require engine running to slowly charge a dead battery and/or use what's left of a dead battery to help with starting. These cheap jumper cables will never work to start any engine with a truly dead battery. Only the 2/4/6 gauge jumper cables will work. The smaller the number (gauge) the better as more copper wires are used to carry the large currents starters need for immediate starting from the boost battery. $50 is not unreasonable for jumper cables when it works, period.

One problem to jump starting (for Ions) from the engine side is locating the main RED positive terminal that should be labeled in large bold print to alert an owner where its safe to use jumper cables. Battery negative is always on the engine block. If I had to jump start from the engine I would find out where this can be done.

Better quality jumper cables will allow boosting to work quickly.

2006 ion2 01-13-2013 06:34 PM

My ions both had/have a large red cap covering the positive jump post, the manual says this is where to jump it from, and there is a ground post for jumping, that's also clearly labeled, not sure about your ion (oh, wait, you don't have one). Even our van, with the battery under the hood, has a jump post, also under a large red cap.

2006 ion2 01-13-2013 08:24 PM

I should add, I've never had an issue jumping others or being jumped from under the hood

MeanGreen 01-14-2013 12:08 PM

hmmm...never jumped from under the hood, always just used the actual battery

2006 ion2 01-14-2013 01:25 PM

I've either had stuff in the trunk, or the person just pulled up to the front to jump me because most cars have historically been in the front, and every car can be jumped from the front. When I've jumped people, it's been much more convenient to pull in forward. gm likes using jump posts, no clue why, but our van has the battery shoved down below a brace, then jump posts in the open right above the battery.

lgodave 01-15-2013 07:46 PM

I'm thinking year 4 on my Second Battery. Been working good... with a recent cold snap (Single Digits F for a few days) it's early morning starts have a been a little "Grumpy" but still strong. Usually it's been the -7F to -15F (or lower!) where I shouldn't be afraid to give the Starter a few moments (Holding the Key in Start vs the usual "flick" and go.)

Personally I also prefer jumping from my Trunk too. But have Charged/Jumped via the Hood too. I just hate having to get a good Ground on the Engine Block.

I carry good Jump Cables but I also do tend to carry a "Cheap" Jumper/Booster Pack which as previously mentioned doesn't really do much for a "Deader then Dead" Battery... but for the Weak one (assuming the Booster Pack makes a good connection... again as mentioned... look for quality folks in construction/materials. My current Pack has very limited contact points so if it's not "just right" you can fail to jump... but another nice thing is it does have a "Connection Indicator" so as long as you look for that you will know when it's "just right". Then of course hope the Pack is charged up enough to be any good.)

I also don't mind "topping" off my Batteries on occasion with a "Smart" Battery Charger it tends to let me know if there is anything I should keep an eye out for or if it needs an expert's eyes.