SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How far do you let your tires run down.. (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175384)

Midnight13 12-29-2011 08:02 PM

How far do you let your tires run down..

before you replace them?

I came across this topic in another forum about tire wear, and just thought i'd start a thread here to discuss it.

My DH works in a collision shop. So sadly we've seen too many cars come in that have been in accidents, that could of been prevented with better tires.

I have my 2 yr old that is with me 90% of the time. I personally don't keep tires on my vehicles that are under 7/32nds tread.

I'll get them at junkyards or on Craigslist, and never paid more than $125 for a full set so far, and even reselling them for $100 set is more cost effective for me than buying new tires.

I also believe that at least here in NY it should be mandated to have winter tires on at least in Jan and Feb.

Thoughts?

GR898SL2 12-30-2011 12:14 PM

Re: How far do you let your tires run down..

[QUOTE=Midnight13;1826532]before you replace them?

I came across this topic in another forum about tire wear, and just thought i'd start a thread here to discuss it.

My DH works in a collision shop. So sadly we've seen too many cars come in that have been in accidents, that could of been prevented with better tires.

I have my 2 yr old that is with me 90% of the time. I personally don't keep tires on my vehicles that are under 7/32nds tread.

I'll get them at junkyards or on Craigslist, and never paid more than $125 for a full set so far, and even reselling them for $100 set is more cost effective for me than buying new tires.

I also believe that at least here in NY it should be mandated to have winter tires on at least in Jan and Feb.

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I'm one of those people who hopes to get the most out of my tires. The longest I'll go is down to the wear bar, and that's pushing it, since at that point traction is poor on anything but dry surfaces and the tires can be considered "bald". I've done it at least once with every one of the eight cars I've owned over the course of having the privilege to drive.

As far as a state mandate for winter tires, the tire manufacturers and shops would welcome it: more business will come their way as the law-abiding rush to meet compliance, but I can't see it happening without overall resistance.

:flag:

eRic 02sc2 12-30-2011 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=Midnight13;1826532]before you replace them?

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]
tires perform best at 2/32nds. I replace them when the cords are showing.

adventureoflink 12-30-2011 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=GR898SL2;1826727]I'm one of those people who hopes to get the most out of my tires. The longest I'll go is down to the wear bar, and that's pushing it, since at that point traction is poor on anything but dry surfaces and the tires can be considered "bald".[/QUOTE]
what he said. last set of tires I had, three of the four wore down this bad in the center, however that right rear tire seemed to pretty much be bulletproof...

somehow I was showing some cords on the sides of one of those three wore down tires...

sideup66 12-31-2011 12:46 AM

This will be interesting as I honestly dont understand the system of tire wear or how to tell when the tires need replacement. I do rotate religiously every 6,000 miles and recently switched the motor to synthetic oil so oil changes and tire rotations can be synced. What do you mean by when the cords show???

I usually would probably have mine inspected by a mechanic after I put a considerable amount of miles on the car. For instance, my dad got 72,000 out of our Santa Fe's tires by rotating them every 6,000 miles and even then there was still decent tread on em.

XRL 12-31-2011 01:27 AM

I replace mine when the sparks start to hit the rear bumper.

j/k, I replace them at or before the wear bars, depending on season. In the winter, we don't really get much rain so it's not a huge deal, but running low tread tires in the summer rains is a bad thing.

davidsky 12-31-2011 09:11 AM

4/32 I never buy used tires

Chazberry 01-01-2012 07:40 PM

Since NY State Inspection Stations don't make any $$$$ on the $37 they charge for an inspection, they are always trying to sell you tires before yours are really shot ("I wouldn't let [U]my[/U] family drive in a car with those tires!" - this is a recording.) which is why I plan to buy a Tire Tread Depth Gauge so I can prove my tires have enough tread left to pass inspection (2/32"). [url]http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c-50.htm[/url]
However, if winter is near, I would probably replace them if they were getting anywhere near that bad.

davidsky 01-02-2012 03:06 PM

[QUOTE=Chazberry;1827446]Since NY State Inspection Stations don't make any $$$$ on the $37 they charge for an inspection, they are always trying to sell you tires before yours are really shot ("I wouldn't let [U]my[/U] family drive in a car with those tires!" - this is a recording.) which is why I plan to buy a Tire Tread Depth Gauge so I can prove my tires have enough tread left to pass inspection (2/32"). [url]http://www.dmv.ny.gov/broch/c-50.htm[/url]
However, if winter is near, I would probably replace them if they were getting anywhere near that bad.[/QUOTE]

$37? I live in NY and only paid $21 last year.

OhioVueBoy 01-02-2012 03:19 PM

I wouldn't trust used tires or tires off of Craigslist either. You never know how they were treated... treadwear is only one sign of tire health.

Chazberry 01-02-2012 08:53 PM

[QUOTE=davidsky;1827692]$37? I live in NY and only paid $21 last year.[/QUOTE]

Been $37 on L.I. for a long time.

unkle bik 01-03-2012 10:26 AM

...till all 4 are flat...

Midnight13 01-03-2012 06:13 PM

[QUOTE=Chazberry;1827830]Been $37 on L.I. for a long time.[/QUOTE]

You getting ripped off or what? Unless they just upped the price since Aug, it's $10 for cars over 25 yrs old, and under 2 yrs old, and $21 for every other year in between.

GR898SL2 01-03-2012 09:48 PM

[QUOTE=Midnight13;1828120]You getting ripped off or what? Unless they just upped the price since Aug, it's $10 for cars over 25 yrs old, and under 2 yrs old, and $21 for every other year in between.[/QUOTE]

Not if you live in the nine counties that make up the metropolitan area which is basically New York City and its suburban outliers. They are:

Bronx, Kings, Nassau, New York, Queens, Richmond, Rockland, Suffolk & Westchester charge $37.

All other New York counties are $21.

If downstate motorists are being fleeced, the state knows it. NYC, Long Island and the Lower Hudson Valley are all considered the NYC Metropolitan Area.

:flag:

BobbyP 01-03-2012 10:02 PM

Normally I never let the threads wear down too much. At the first sign of reduced wet weather traction I replace my tires.

On my SC I had no problems getting 50k from the OEM Firestone Firehawks. I'm not sure if the VUE can do the same.

The thread indicators on my NITTO's on the VUE's front are getting close to even with the main thread. They are starting to look like slicks...

I am concerned about their wet weather performance. They'll be coming off soon.