SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aura General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   07 Aura Heater problems, Engine Over Heating (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172498)

jstrower 10-02-2011 06:19 PM

07 Aura Heater problems, Engine Over Heating

I have a 2007 Saturn Aura XR, 3.5 motor. I have no heat and the car keeps over heating. Any thoughts on where to start?

onefunkar 10-02-2011 08:39 PM

Re: 07 Aura Heater problems, Engine Over Heating

you have 3.6v6... maybe thermostat....

greenman 10-02-2011 08:58 PM

Are you losing coolant?

Low Saturn 10-02-2011 11:12 PM

Is the cooling fan coming on?

whiteshadow 10-03-2011 12:26 AM

no heat and the motor is overheating?

have you checked the coolant level?

jstrower 10-07-2011 06:03 PM

Sorry, I've been away from my computer. Not sure about the coolant. It was low and I added some back to the fill line. Is the thermostat hard to replace?

greenman 10-07-2011 06:47 PM

[QUOTE=jstrower;1799708]Sorry, I've been away from my computer. Not sure about the coolant. It was low and I added some back to the fill line. Is the thermostat hard to replace?[/QUOTE]

You should never have to top up the coolant. You have a leak somewhere. Either internal or external.

jstrower 10-07-2011 09:08 PM

The problem just started happening (overheating and cooling fan coming on after engine is turned off). We noticed the floor boards were we in the rear passenger side a couple months ago.

So my next question is where can I find a free guide to change the thermostat and where can I find a free guide to replace the heater core?

The mechanic said it would cost about $600 to replace the heater core. I think I will tackle it on my own.

Has anyone ever done it? Is it hard?

greenman 10-07-2011 11:52 PM

[QUOTE=jstrower;1799753]The problem just started happening (overheating and cooling fan coming on after engine is turned off). We noticed the floor boards were we in the rear passenger side a couple months ago.

So my next question is where can I find a free guide to change the thermostat and where can I find a free guide to replace the heater core?

The mechanic said it would cost about $600 to replace the heater core. I think I will tackle it on my own.

Has anyone ever done it? Is it hard?[/QUOTE]

If the heater core was leaking the interior would smell like dexcool. Does it? Replacing the heater core is a very tough job that entails pulling the dash out. There are other reasons for water in the cabin. You want to be very sure on this diagnosis.

onefunkar 10-08-2011 10:42 AM

keep in mind if you are still under 5/100 thermostat is covered with zero deduct..

jstrower 10-08-2011 11:34 PM

no, the interior did not smell like dexcool. Also it was the rear floor board that was wet, with no smell. It was wet like 2 months ago and has not been wet since. It just started over heating a few days ago.

So what about the thermostat? Is it hard to change? Can a computer diagnostic tell if the thermostat is bad?

Thanks for all your help.

greenman 10-09-2011 12:24 AM

[QUOTE=jstrower;1800066]

So what about the thermostat? Is it hard to change? Can a computer diagnostic tell if the thermostat is bad[/QUOTE]

First, even if you replace it, you will still have the problem of losing coolant somewhere. How much coolant did you have to add & has adding it helped with the overheating issue?

Hard is a very relative term. Since I have no clue what your skill level is, how can I even begin to answer that? If you have ever replaced one before, nothing has changed except the location...which is above the A/C compressor.

There are no sensors on the thermostat to tell you it's working properly.

Thermostat replacement is covered in both the Haynes Malibu & Chiltons G6 books:

[url]http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170380&highlight=service+manual[/url]