SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   How-To Library (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Changing a Front Hub/Bearing on an S-Series (with pictures) (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46123)

intercessor 08-29-2008 10:44 AM

Re: Changing a Front Hub/Bearing on an S-Series (with pictures)

I have everything off, except how do I get the axle out of the knuckle?

Tnx

intercessor 08-29-2008 11:23 AM

Ok I just whacked the end and the knuckle loosened from the spline.
Is there anything I should look out for as far as keeping the alignment ok when reinstalling?

Thanks

intercessor 08-29-2008 09:23 PM

:x Took the car for a test drive and the drowning sound didn't go away! All that effort and it did crapola arrrgh.

Thoughts?

intercessor 08-30-2008 07:21 AM

Not "drowning" but "droning" :to make a sustained deep murmuring, humming sound. Some reason it won't let me edit on this thread.

haymaker11 11-03-2008 08:58 PM

After i press in the new wheel bearing, what would happen if i did not put the retainer ring (clip) back in for the bearing?

Since the bearing is pressed in, it shouldn't come out right? Is the retainer ring just a "precaution".

Am i crazy to drive it without the retainer ring in place?

navaidstech 11-05-2008 11:03 PM

Is it really necessary to replace the hub as well if it's just the bearing that's shot? Or is there a possibiliy that the hub itself may go bad?

thanks

melfar 07-19-2009 06:32 PM

your site is no longer valid? Trying to get wheel bearing off and it won't budge.

twin2004 08-17-2009 01:31 PM

Cannot get down load of pictures? Help!!!!

sdowney717 02-02-2010 07:36 AM

heat the knuckle near the bearing with a torch. It will expand and lesson the grip on the hub bearing. Clean all the old rust off the inside of the knuckle, I wire brush with a drill.
Use heavy grease or antiseize on these parts when you put it together. We just did a Honda and the new ones after cleaning up just slipped together.

mrclean92124 04-07-2010 05:12 PM

Anyone know where to order just the balljoint dust boot for a 96 SL2??? I'm having no luck finding.

Update: I found [URL="http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82056"]THIS[/URL] thread to be very helpful...including part numbers. Seems a generic boot is adequate for both tierod ends and balljoint. One tip was NOT to use pickle fork to separate lower control arm.. just use a crowbar or other instead: [QUOTE]Use a long crow bar, wedge it on top of the LCA and below the sway bar.. then put a lot of force/stand on the end and it should pop the stud out.[/QUOTE]

PS: Nothing like a quick post to assure that hours of fruitless searching immediately morph into a search hit. LOL

Thanks.

joshp 08-13-2011 01:30 PM

I don't understand why you mark the strut to knuckle mounting location with a marker. Won't everything align since the bolt holes aren't slotted? Or are the bolt holes slotted?

Twin_Cam 08-18-2011 10:00 AM

Sorry, not on here very often, let me answer some questions...

1. To get the axle out of the hub, hold a piece of wood right up to the part of the axle that the huge 30mm axle nut screws onto, and hit it hard with a 2 lb. sledge hammer, or other big hammer. It'll eventually move back and forth enough to be able to push it through the hub.
2. Saturn recommends you change the hub and bearing at the same time, so they wear evenly, like brake pads and rotors. You don't HAVE to, it's just one of those "well, it's already apart, might as well" situations. It's only a little extra money.
3. Further down the first page is the directions that aren't linked to that site, pictures and all. Just scroll down a bit farther.
4. The holes in the strut are slotted, to allow for changes when you get an alignment done on the car. Therefore, just bolting the knuckle back in without checking can give you some pretty nasty alignment settings, to the point where it could affect handling and tire wear. Be sure you have an alignment done after removing the knuckle if you're unsure you have it in the EXACT spot it was.
5. Definitely install the c-ring that holds the bearing in. It can work itself out without that c-ring holding it in place. So yes, you're crazy. There's a chance your wheel could fall off.

NFP 09-22-2011 10:15 AM

Just the thread I was looking for, thanks Twin Cam!

NFP 09-27-2011 05:22 PM

All done, was pleasantly surprised at how well the ball joint came off without using a separating fork, just a 4' bar and a 3lb maul ;)

vincey 11-07-2011 02:00 PM

Am I blind or stupid or both that I'm not seeing the pictures that go along with these instructions? These steps are many more than I'm used to from other make/models and might be more than I can handle on my own. Pictures will let me know if I'm willing to go the distance or not.

Thanks!

edlee 11-07-2011 10:35 PM

The original link in the beginning of the thread is no longer valid, but the post is repeated with pictures in message 17 further down in the thread.

frix 11-08-2011 10:01 AM

I can't see the pictures either. Not even in the post you mentioned. Not sure why. We're going to be changing mine in a week or two.

vincey 11-08-2011 12:36 PM

So I'm not the only one not seeing pictures, specifically not seeing pictures in post #17. Or Chris Angel is running this thread and making me not see them. If this thread turns into a popcorn bowl, I'll know this to be true.

vincey 11-08-2011 03:29 PM

Cool! Magic! That Chris Angel is the best I tell ya! lol

Thanks whomever, the pictures will really help.

Question though, when looking up the hub assembly at autozone for my '01 SC2, multiple tools show up at the bottom of the screen. Can those be used instead of paying $30 a pop to have the old bearing pressed out and then new one pressed in? If one of those loan a tools work, I'd rather do that. I haven't called a machine shop yet, just looked online at their prices, so I don't know if they charge $30 to press out and then $30 to press in or what. Just trying to be cost effective since I'm doing both sides of the front.

Thanks again!

vincey 11-08-2011 05:32 PM

ok, now I'm getting confused, does the '01 SC2 need to be pressed or not? I called around for parts, AZ and AA both say its a kit and the bearings need pressed. PB says its an assembly that comes pressed. If it comes pressed is this an easier fix than I thought? What steps from Post #17 can be eliminated? Does the knuckle assembly still come into play? Thanks for any assistance offered.