SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   It Could Be Time to Buy a Saturn (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145548)

davidsky 12-22-2009 08:23 AM

Re: It Could Be Time to Buy a Saturn

[QUOTE=VUEmaniac;1559408]Consider yourself lucky. Guess you never had occasion to work on any 90's-era GM 3.1/3.4L V6es. They are infamous for this very reason.[/QUOTE]

That's a different issue, not caused by DexCool
All DexCool issues are caused by someone using nonDexCool coolant in a DexCool vehicle

Kooler King 12-22-2009 10:32 AM

[QUOTE=davidsky;1559421]and ruin your engine because there's no way to completely clean out all the old coolant without removing the engine and disassembling it.[/QUOTE]

A power flush would do that fine, unless you've already let the DexCool age (e.g. more than 5 years old) to point where it begins to form particulates that have come out of solution and begun to solidify in points where a flush would be ineffective.

bigbird 12-22-2009 02:48 PM

[QUOTE=VUEmaniac;1559408]Consider yourself lucky. Guess you never had occasion to work on any 90's-era GM 3.1/3.4L V6es. They are infamous for this very reason.[/QUOTE]

Had an '03 Rendezvous and '05 Equinox. No mechanical problems with either. One had a Mexican built 3.4 and the other a Chinese built 3.4, both loud engines on accelerating but otherwise smooth and decent on gas.

adventureoflink 12-22-2009 04:44 PM

[QUOTE=davidsky;1559422]That's a different issue, not caused by DexCool
All DexCool issues are caused by someone using nonDexCool coolant in a DexCool vehicle[/QUOTE]
Most of it was most likely letting the coolant sit in there all this time (reaching over 150k miles)

..also, you like to troll a lot, don't you. :dizzy:

davidsky 12-22-2009 09:49 PM

[QUOTE=adventureoflink;1559608]Most of it was most likely letting the coolant sit in there all this time (reaching over 150k miles)

..also, you like to troll a lot, don't you. :dizzy:[/QUOTE]

Can't be trolling if I'm generally on topic and some people agree with me.

Citation84 12-23-2009 09:11 AM

[QUOTE=adventureoflink;1559608]Most of it was most likely letting the coolant sit in there all this time (reaching over 150k miles)

..also, you like to troll a lot, don't you. :dizzy:[/QUOTE]

GM promoted Dex-Cool as a long life 5 year/100,000 mile coolant. There's a class action suit that says otherwise as regards to "all" instances of problems coming from mixing two different coolants. Not all those people were negligent or ignorant.

The plastic intake manifold was another of GM's great ideas. Not everything can be blamed on the "ignorant" consumer when the defects are baked right in at the design stage.

And no: Davidsky isn't a troll. He has strong opinions and bases them on his own observations. Personally, I agree with him more often than not.... [but I'm still never going to buy another GM vehicle as long as I live....;):D
Throw GM under the bus ? Don't have to, they did it to themselves....;)].

There's a little bit of troll in all of us...:p

davidsky 12-23-2009 10:06 AM

[QUOTE=Citation84;1559853]
[but I'm still never going to buy another GM vehicle as long as I live....;):D
[/QUOTE]

Go for Ford or Chrysler then. (Chrysler is still 60% or so American owned)

davidsky 12-23-2009 10:12 AM

[QUOTE=Citation84;1559853]GM promoted Dex-Cool as a long life 5 year/100,000 mile coolant. There's a class action suit that says otherwise as regards to "all" instances of problems coming from mixing two different coolants. Not all those people were negligent or ignorant.
[/QUOTE]

The lifetime claim was probably a bigger mistake than the coolant itself. It must have some good qualities about it because GM is still using it and other companies have come up with similar non-green color formulas.

Citation84 12-23-2009 12:13 PM

[QUOTE=davidsky;1559878]The lifetime claim was probably a bigger mistake than the coolant itself. It must have some good qualities about it because GM is still using it and other companies have come up with similar non-green color formulas.[/QUOTE]

Plus I think the worst Dex-Cool problems were with certain V6s.

That whole "lifetime" thing was pure P/R to convince people that their costs of maintenance were lower than with the competition.Bad idea.

Time to get my ION's coolant flushed: 5 years 01-13-2010.Haven't heard any complaints about Dex Cool and IONs, so I won't worry about continuing to use it.

Davidsky:are the Dex Cool clones from other companies safe to use ?

Chazberry 12-23-2009 02:23 PM

I guess only oil filters generate more debate than Dex-Cool? I recently drained the Dex-Cool from my '03 at 94k and the stuff looked like it was coming out of a brand new jug. I was impressed. But I refilled it with the green stuff. Let the debate continue . . .

davidsky 12-23-2009 08:55 PM

[QUOTE]Time to get my ION's coolant flushed: 5 years 01-13-2010.Haven't heard any complaints about Dex Cool and IONs, so I won't worry about continuing to use it.
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to change mine in April after the last car payment (should be 50K by then)

[QUOTE]Davidsky:are the Dex Cool clones from other companies safe to use ?[/QUOTE]

Don't know specifically, the only brands I see are Prestone and Havoline. Havoline is the original and I figure Prestone is good.

AuraDrvr89 12-24-2009 12:37 AM

My Saturn retailer hasn't had new Saturns in quite sometime, from what they have told me.

So it's definitely not time to buy a Saturn in Western New York.

Citation84 12-24-2009 09:52 AM

Thanks, Davidsky. I just looted my savings and paid mine off. The coolant still looks as pure the first day it went in at the factory, but for my own peace of mind, I'll be getting it flushed.

I'd say the best deal on a Saturn can be found on a year old low mileage example of any of their offerings. Makes buying a new one an almost foolish thing to do, even with the discounts, no?

Citation84 12-24-2009 09:59 AM

[QUOTE=Chazberry;1559995]I guess only oil filters generate more debate than Dex-Cool? I recently drained the Dex-Cool from my '03 at 94k and the stuff looked like it was coming out of a brand new jug. I was impressed. But I refilled it with the green stuff. Let the debate continue . . .[/QUOTE]

Did you have to back flush a lot to purge it all ?

I figure if I flush and fill with fresh Dex there it won't be a problem long term. But like the green stuff because I know it's worked reliably for years.

Chazberry 12-24-2009 10:28 AM

[QUOTE=Citation84;1560341]Did you have to back flush a lot to purge it all ?
[/QUOTE]

I replaced my coolant when I did the water pump. I didn't do any back-flushing - just a couple of refills and drains with water.

adventureoflink 12-24-2009 10:45 PM

[QUOTE=Citation84;1559853]And no: Davidsky isn't a troll. He has strong opinions and bases them on his own observations. Personally, I agree with him more often than not.... [but I'm still never going to buy another GM vehicle as long as I live....;):D

There's a little bit of troll in all of us...:p[/QUOTE]

OK, that explains everything then... my apologies.