SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   heater core or blown head gasket??? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232806)

Courtbby1 10-16-2017 10:09 AM

heater core or blown head gasket???

okay, so my 2005 Saturn ion 2.2 has had a slight oil leak in it since I got it. Car over heated(didn't go up to red because I turned the car off before it could and stopped driving it). Replaced radiator fan. Now the car wont hold any coolant..

issues are as follows:

Draining coolant(having to put more in it everytime I get in it again)

smoke like fog coming from my vents even if the heater and ac are off

exhaust pipe appeared to have a gray light smoke coming from it(unsure if it was steam or actual smoke as it wasn't thick and cleared out quickly)and only did it once while it was idling.

sweet smell inside of the car almost too much to bear(stings my nose)

car is not over heating because I'm trying my best to keep water in it.

heater is still working.

ive been told it could be my heater core, leaking intake, or blown head gasket...

I'm not sure what to do. mother of 2, I'm only 25 and I cant afford to put it in a shop. I know a few mechanics in my family who may be able to fix it. I'm just not sure what needs to be done.

fdryer 10-16-2017 10:50 AM

Re: heater core or blown head gasket???

If you are lucky, the heater isn't leaking and you're smelling the sickly sweet smell of antifreeze from the radiator, water pump or hose leak. How many miles on this car? Leaks may be visible from your descriptions by almost anyone familiar with car repairs.

pierrot 10-16-2017 11:33 AM

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]Welcome to SaturnFans, [B][I][COLOR="blue"]Courtbby1[/COLOR]![/I][/B]

This is an unfortunate circumstance to find oneself in. In a sense, we're a bit beyond asking questions regarding maintenance history, but it would be useful if you can provide that information (how ever much you may actually have).
1) I'm curious to know when the thermostat was last replaced .
2) Prior to the engine temperature rising towards overheating, where was the temperature gauge needle typically pointing during normal use?
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[QUOTE=Courtbby1;2257101]okay, so my 2005 Saturn ion 2.2 has had a slight oil leak in it since I got it. Car over heated(didn't go up to red because I turned the car off before it could and stopped driving it). Replaced radiator fan. Now the car wont hold any coolant..[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]Did the replacement of the engine cooling fan improve anything?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[QUOTE=Courtbby1;2257101]issues are as follows:
Draining coolant(having to put more in it everytime I get in it again)[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]This line [U]suggests[/U] the presence of a leak. Do you see any fluid on the ground wherever the car is parked?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[QUOTE=Courtbby1;2257101]smoke like fog coming from my vents even if the heater and ac are off[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]This is unusual...antifreeze infused steam could be coming through the vents if the heater core is leaking and perhaps the HVAC case is still holding that fluid in it.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[QUOTE=Courtbby1;2257101]exhaust pipe appeared to have a gray light smoke coming from it(unsure if it was steam or actual smoke as it wasn't thick and cleared out quickly)and only did it once while it was idling.[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]([I]This [U]could[/U] be a hopeful sign that there's not a blown head gasket.[/I])[/SIZE][/FONT]
[QUOTE=Courtbby1;2257101]sweet smell inside of the car almost too much to bear(stings my nose)[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]I'm reasonably certain that the odor is from the antifreeze.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[QUOTE=Courtbby1;2257101]car is not over heating because I'm trying my best to keep water in it.

heater is still working.[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]FWIW, in this circumstance you're doing the right thing.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[QUOTE=Courtbby1;2257101]ive been told it could be my heater core, leaking intake, or blown head gasket...[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]Testing for a cooling system leak or a blown head gasket is actually rather easy. The cooling system requires a pressure test. A blown head gasket results in hot exhaust escaping into the cooling system. A test for the presence of exhaust gases in the cooling system will typically use a product like the one in this link...

[URL="http://www.blocktester.com/"]http://www.blocktester.com/[/URL] [/SIZE][/FONT]

[QUOTE=Courtbby1;2257101]I'm not sure what to do. mother of 2, I'm only 25 and I cant afford to put it in a shop. I know a few mechanics in my family who may be able to fix it. I'm just not sure what needs to be done.[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]First things first: the car needs to be tested. Without knowledge of what's actually causing the problem one's mind can run wild with the possibilites for what has to be done - I've been through that as well. Try to avoid leaping into unnecessary conclusions. Please keep us updated here and let us know how things are going.
[/SIZE][/FONT]

fdryer 10-16-2017 11:43 AM

At 188k miles (emailed) it's highly possible for coolant leaks as mentioned and hopefully not a heater core leak. You or someone familiar with the HVAC system can check around for wet carpeting by removing console side panels by the floor for a better view. If possible, AutoZone may have a cooling system test kit consisting of a hand held pump, hoses and adapters to substitute for the cooling system cap. Pressurizing a cold engine can sometimes be easier to find leaks instead of being scalded by hot coolant, hoses, radiator, and a hot engine.

pierrot 10-16-2017 11:55 AM

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]^Agreed. (Not bad...one fella on the left coast and the other on the right coast who can agree with each other! :D)[/FONT][/SIZE]