SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   2.2L ECOTECH Timing tensioner (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269053)

rjc862003 08-04-2021 06:12 PM

2.2L ECOTECH Timing tensioner

I know the original style tensioners are an issue on these cars my 07 ion 3 quad happens to have the original style
what is generally considered the _best_ part to replace it with
rock auto has the following part numbers available
CLOYES 95374

ACDELCO 12608580

CLOYES 95481

INA ZT0117 {#24430296} Adjuster

jarvis1906 08-09-2021 10:12 PM

Re: 2.2L ECOTECH Timing tensioner

Based on the premise that the AC Delco 12608580 is GM original equipment, I'd go with the AC Delco. Keep in mind that in all likelihood, you'll see a "made in China" stamp on it, but it should stand up to the test of time if it's truly GM sanctioned equipment.

The other brands are aftermarket parts, and AM parts often don't handle the task of critical applications such as timing components. And those are the last kind of parts you'd ever want to see fail prematurely. But then again, there's always the possibility that the other brands are made by the same folks!

Decisions, decisions. Lol.

lrbraner 08-10-2021 08:03 PM

Overwhelming consensus is Cloyes

lrbraner 08-10-2021 08:06 PM

If the AC Delco was so good it would not need to be replaced so soon !!!!!!

pierrot 08-11-2021 08:27 PM

[QUOTE=rjc862003;2364150]I know the original style tensioners are an issue on these cars my 07 ion 3 quad happens to have the original style
what is generally considered the _best_ part to replace it with
rock auto has the following part numbers available
CLOYES 95374

ACDELCO 12608580

CLOYES 95481

INA ZT0117 {#24430296} Adjuster[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]I'd go with the Cloyes #95374. I used their complete timing component sets when replacing my timing chain and balance shaft chain. Everything worked well. The chains were tight and quiet. Keep in mind that some wear will exist on the guides and they could need replacement as well. Unfortunately, the only way to know if they need replacement is to remove them for measurement.[/SIZE][/FONT]

rjc862003 08-12-2021 11:22 PM

my understanding is as far as the hydraulic tensioner goes the latest iteration of the Cloyes and the Delco parts are the same

its a quiet running motor after startup I am going to have the local dealer who I do a lot of IT work for change the tensioner out for the new style for 244.24 out the door

they quoted me 984.42 todo the entire set which is a bit out of my price range atm

not sure why my 2007 ion 3 has the old style my understanding was they replaced the original flat headed style by the end of 2005? must have been built on a Friday or Monday

but I figure its smooth as butter except for that 2 second rattle on startup throw the tensioner in it and run it till it grenades' its got 130k on the clock and it looks like the previous owner kept up with the oil changes so I figure if I get anouther 20k out of it for the 2200 bucks I paid for it its more then good

I will of course have the tech inspect the timing set as best he is able while he hopefully has the valve cover removed todo the job(I really hope thats they way gm still recommends doing it) also will ask that the top guide bolt that haunted some early 2.2s be checked and replaced if necessary

I told them if they found anything seconds away from a catastrophic failure to replace it it all and I would find the money as it stands I don't plan on having them do the entire set as that is labor and dollar intensive

pierrot 08-12-2021 11:46 PM

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]FWIW, I was able to nearly eliminate the rattle at start up by adding HY-PER LUBE Oil Supplement at each oil change. The timing components were replaced at about 312K miles. Based on how much quieter the engine became after performing that job :), I wished that I'd done it years earlier...oh well... :| My hunch is that with your current mileage your other timing components are in otherwise decent condition. ([I]I certainly hope that I'm correct about that![/I])

Be sure to let us know how things turn out with the replacement of the tensioner. It helps everyone with these engines here at SaturnFans to know of your experience. :yes:[/SIZE][/FONT]

rjc862003 08-13-2021 10:14 AM

Service is scheduled for Thursday the 19th at 8:00 a.m. we'll see if they kill my motor or not

goaliemo 08-16-2021 07:58 AM

Cloyes is the original timing kit for these cars

rjc862003 08-19-2021 11:02 AM

Tensioner Replaced, dealer opted to do it without pulling the valve cover and ended up going magnet fishing when it came apart in pieces
luckily nothing dropped into the pan or timing set

rjc862003 08-20-2021 06:41 PM

startup rattle has been 100% eliminated with the new tensioner

pierrot 08-22-2021 12:08 PM

[QUOTE=rjc862003;2364765]startup rattle has been 100% eliminated with the new tensioner[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]Excellent! :):):)[/SIZE][/FONT]

05quadcoupe3 03-07-2022 06:25 AM

So I had some increasingly loud rattling at startup and swapped tensioners with the new cloyes version and immediately upon startup i heard some nasty snapping and chain dragging. Ended up replacing every component that comes with the timing chain and balance chain kit from cloyes. guides had broken I'm guessing from being worn and the new tensioner finished em off. Had to drop pan and fish all the pieces out. cleaned everything up well and lubed before start up. did an oil change and found pieces of piston ring stuck to my magnet on the oil drain plug. i had noticed the car smoked sometimes and smelled badly. oil smells like gas. pop oil cap when running and you can feel the blow by. Bought a jy motor for 300 bucks with 80000 on it and ran right before they pulled it for me. how hard is this swap going to be? i did the clutch by myself and it was my first attempt at anything that extensive also is my first manual. i put the duralast one in it bc i bought it years before i knew better and when i could this last summer i did the swap and she is still going 16,000 miles later but im moving and want the engine swap done this week. im pretty mechanically inclined and research and cross reference everything before attempting. would it be wise to purchase a haynes manual before doing this for torque specs and what not? and suggestions would be appreciated as long as they are helpful