SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   saturn ion AC condenser removal (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143578)

ZeroCool 08-28-2009 05:43 PM

saturn ion AC condenser removal

so my mother some how bent up her Saturn Ion's rad and ac condenser i was wondering if anyone knows how to remove them both do i need to decompress
the AC first or something before removing the AC condenser hard Lines. I know to drain the rad fluid what not before removing the rad i am just unsure about the ac Condenser lines and if it need to come out first from the front or what.

The car is a 2005 Saturn Ion with auto trans and 2.2 L Engine 4 door with power
windows not sure if its a Saturn Ion 1 - 2 or 3 any one know what the different Ion numbers mean. and anyone know the Size of the wheel hub Nut inside the rotor holds the wheel hub on thanks for any help. Maybe i better buy a repair manual.

fdryer 08-28-2009 06:38 PM

Re: saturn ion AC condenser removal

Without looking at any manuals for specific instructions on removal procedures for the radiator and condenser coil, just look closely at the condenser coil for bent tubing that's cracked; a crack anywhere in aluminum tubing usually releases all the refrigerant suddenly in a white cloud as if steam was released from the radiator bursting. There will be evidence of refrigerant oil also being released all over the place and maybe dye to glow in the area. If tubing is just bent without kinking and no refrigerant was released, it may be best to have this reclaimed by a/c shops in return for a discount when you need them later. The EPA police aren't looking over your shoulder if this system was already opened and no refrigerant remained. After all, an accident that breaks the front end and releases refrigerant, doesn't mean you released R134 indiscriminately. ;) A system still under pressure can be repaired; released for reclamation by a/c shops or if most of it is released from a cracked joint/tube/whatever, you can go ahead and replace what's damaged. In the end you'll need to replace the end O-rings to seal the ends properly before the rest of the a/c system can be restored.

If you can, post some pictures as show and tell can help to describe the extent of the damage.

ZeroCool 09-02-2009 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info. The AC piping is fine just the AC Condenser is curved in the middle and the rad is curved in a little as well with a small hole on the passengers side i got a new rad for it i just don't see how to get it out without taking the intake manifold off maybe its just bent in and needs to be bent out then removed.

SaturnTech122 09-02-2009 04:53 PM

the radiaator/condersor assmebly can be easily removed from underneath