SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   2008 Vue (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   2008 Saturn Vue Recalled for Faulty Door Handles (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140613)

Charlie 06-29-2009 10:38 PM

2008 Saturn Vue Recalled for Faulty Door Handles

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=3172]2008 Saturn Vue Recalled for Faulty Door Handles[/drupal]

[quote]The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports that General Motors is recalling 44,451 model year 2008 Saturn Vue vehicles with body color outside door handles. The outside door handles may stick or bind. If this were to occur, the door may not latch when closed. Driving with an unlatched door could result in an unbelted occupant falling out of the vehicle, causing increased risk of injury.[/quote]

kae 06-30-2009 12:32 AM

Re: 2008 Saturn Vue Recalled for Faulty Door Handles

I've had my handles stick once or twice, but didn't think much of it. I'm not a huge chrome fan...but I guess there is a reason that chrome handles will be the replacement.

pmj 06-30-2009 11:28 AM

Always fasten your seatbelts. :dazed:

SinCitySaturn 06-30-2009 02:31 PM

Sure glad we bought a Loaded XR Vue. It's been a great SUV and I love the look of the chrome handles:D Chrome in genral is a timeless classic I think. Glad I don't have to bother having them changed out. We love our 08 XR:banana:

Warren 06-30-2009 04:38 PM

[QUOTE=SinCitySaturn;1473848]Sure glad we bought a Loaded XR Vue. It's been a great SUV and I love the look of the chrome handles:D Chrome in genral is a timeless classic I think. Glad I don't have to bother having them changed out. We love our 08 XR:banana:[/QUOTE]

I too have the XR with AWD and feel the same way as you, I love the vehicle. I will be very sad if Saturn does not survive in Canada.

hand-filer 06-30-2009 07:27 PM

Too bad for those that sprung for the chrome ones to replace the originals.

kae 06-30-2009 08:16 PM

[QUOTE=hand-filer;1473999]Too bad for those that sprung for the chrome ones to replace the originals.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking about that...the people that paid money to get Chrome replacements (especially recently) probably aren't too thrilled to hear this news.

ar15 07-06-2009 11:31 AM

I like the body colored handles. Do I have to get chrome ones?

kae 07-06-2009 03:17 PM

[QUOTE=ar15;1476804]I like the body colored handles. Do I have to get chrome ones?[/QUOTE]

If you want the recall fixed then I assume that you do. I assume that if they are replacing with chrome there is a problem with the body colored material used period...

TiVoPrince 07-06-2009 05:14 PM

[B]Disappointed[/B]
because I preferred the body coloured handles. The passenger handle has felt odd a couple of times with no discernable reason so I believe that this makes my vehicle the target for this recall.

I suppose that replacing all with chrome is simply easier that stocking multiple part numbers. Since Sunburst Orange is discontinued I'm happier with chrome than a guesstimate paint match...

MoparNut 07-06-2009 09:53 PM

There's nothing wrong with the door handles-it's the owners. they are pulling backwards (towards the rear of the vehicle) instead of pulling the handle straight out. Another recall caused by ESTO (Equipment Superior To Operator) :D

CR Cirl 07-08-2009 10:54 PM

[QUOTE=MoparNut;1477133]There's nothing wrong with the door handles-it's the owners. they are pulling backwards (towards the rear of the vehicle) instead of pulling the handle straight out. Another recall caused by ESTO (Equipment Superior To Operator) :D[/QUOTE]

Like they're confused and think they bought a minivan?:hmpf:

saturnd00d 07-09-2009 08:10 AM

I'm on the fence with the chrome handles. I think they look great on XR's and redlines, but with the black bumpered-versions (such as my own), I'm not convinced they would look good. Anyone have a recall# though? My dealership tends to avoid doing things unless I prove it to them. Has happened with both my former ION and SC1.

68rustang 07-09-2009 09:09 AM

The article gives an August date so there might not be anything "official" yet.

saturnd00d 07-09-2009 10:07 AM

OK thanks, I'll be on the lookout for that

LanCity 07-09-2009 12:46 PM

I actually called on this yesterday, pretty interesting... neither my dealer or the woman at the Saturn Call center knew anything about this. The dealer said that I would probably know as soon as they would... that they won't get the vin list until GM sent it out to the individual drivers. The Saturn Call center lady seemed to think it was too new for their system and thus, VINs hadn't been matched to the recall... very interesting. Why would you make the announcement a month and a half before your ready to do it? I was mildly (okay, not at all...) concerned about doors flying open on the expressway and disappointed to hear they don't have their info on paper yet... okay the real story is I've been eying an upgrade to chrome door handles for a few months and was getting ready to pull the trigger when this recall was announced, and in my elation was hoping I could save $100 or so bones...

kae 07-09-2009 01:25 PM

[QUOTE=LanCity;1478665]I actually called on this yesterday, pretty interesting... neither my dealer or the woman at the Saturn Call center knew anything about this. The dealer said that I would probably know as soon as they would... that they won't get the vin list until GM sent it out to the individual drivers. The Saturn Call center lady seemed to think it was too new for their system and thus, VINs hadn't been matched to the recall... very interesting. Why would you make the announcement a month and a half before your ready to do it? I was mildly (okay, not at all...) concerned about doors flying open on the expressway and disappointed to hear they don't have their info on paper yet... okay the real story is I've been eying an upgrade to chrome door handles for a few months and was getting ready to pull the trigger when this recall was announced, and in my elation was hoping I could save $100 or so bones...[/QUOTE]

Not sure if they have "officially" announced it which may be why the dealers aren't aware. It's on the NHTSA website so I guess it was an official announcement to them, but not to the owners of the vehicles or dealerships since, as mentioned, the estimated start date of the recall isn't until August.

LanCity 07-09-2009 11:15 PM

[QUOTE=kae;1478687]Not sure if they have "officially" announced it which may be why the dealers aren't aware. It's on the NHTSA website so I guess it was an official announcement to them, but not to the owners of the vehicles or dealerships since, as mentioned, the estimated start date of the recall isn't until August.[/QUOTE]

True, but the release said you could call Saturn for more information...

68rustang 07-15-2009 09:01 AM

I stopped into my dealership this morning to have the passenger side visor replaced under warranty. While checking the car in I asked about the door handle recall. They knew all about it but don't have any parts yet.

08SunburstRL 07-15-2009 05:19 PM

So does this mean us RL guys have to have those chrome handles?

Im not a fan of having all kinds of chrome crap on the sides of the car. I have even debated on trying to take the chrome molding around the windows off.