SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   L-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Odometer just added 500k miles! (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=235303)

timl865 08-15-2018 03:38 PM

Odometer just added 500k miles!

Hi, my 02 lw200 with 192k miles all of a sudden reads 690981! Wtf? Any ideas on what would cause this?

bluesl2 08-15-2018 05:47 PM

Re: Odometer just added 500k miles!

Get ready to have to replace your body control module. Any other weird electrical issues with the car? The mileage that is displayed on the instrument cluster comes from the body computer.

Dsaturn 08-15-2018 07:11 PM

Check for loose or dirty connection to BCM. Check all grounds to make sure they are not corroded. Also check battery for corroded or loose connections.

timl865 08-16-2018 01:14 AM

Ugh thanks
. Where is the bcm located on this car?

pierrot 08-16-2018 01:31 AM

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]I'm in full agreement with post #s 3 and 4. If connections turn out to be otherwise okay then your options are as follows:

1) Purchase a "new" replacement which can be found at RockAuto.com, at OE websites, or from a dealership. Take the replacement BCM to a dealership's service department where the most accurate information can be programmed into the new unit. [B][I][COLOR="blue"][U]This is the only way to retain your odometer's actual mileage[/U][/COLOR][/I][/B]. Or you can...
2) visit a wrecking yard and pull one from an L-Series car or wagon of the same model year and with the same engine as yours. There's 30 minute "marrying" procedure that a DIYer can do and is written about in these forums. Once complete you're good to go [B][I][COLOR="blud"]except[/COLOR][/I][/B]...[I][U]the mileage shown will be that which is stored in the used BCM and not what your actual mileage was[/U][/I]. If that is not of any particular consequence to you then this is the least expensive repair option available.

[B][U]Avoid this altogether[/U][/B]:
3) There are companies which claim to be able to rebuild or otherwise repair your original BCM. However, members of this forum who have attempted use them have only met with failure. No knowledgeable member here recommends using such companies.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Bryan4257 08-16-2018 04:57 AM

Me thinx electronic failure.Prolly need a new cluster, if it's important to ya

pierrot 08-16-2018 01:19 PM

[QUOTE=timl865;2279980]Ugh thanks
. Where is the bcm located on this car?[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]The BCM sits atop the glove box case. The glove box door and case have to be removed so as to access and separate it from the case.[/SIZE][/FONT]

timl865 08-19-2018 06:09 AM

Thanks guys. I dont care about the mileage if i change the bcm. I just dont want any further problems. I will try the upull next week.

Russet 09-01-2018 04:42 PM

[QUOTE=timl865;2280184]Thanks guys. I dont care about the mileage if i change the bcm. I just dont want any further problems. I will try the upull next week.[/QUOTE]

That will require a GM TECH II and only GM dealers have them they will have to reprogram and restore the correct mileage back to the new BCM to get it working again.