SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Seized brake caliper bolt. (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135427)

Eliot 03-17-2009 04:02 PM

Seized brake caliper bolt.

I have a 99 SL2
I'm changing my brakes (first time) I got three of them off with little problem but the top bolt on the passenger side is firmly seized. I'm pretty sure this has to do with the fact that I'm an idiot and didn't initially realize that a bolt facing that opposite way from me also had to turn the opposite way.
Anyways, the bolt is stuck and starting to round out but I still have some grip left, so I want to make my next move count. I've been whacking at it and spraying it with that PB stuff to try and lubricate it. I've also been looking on the Internet for options. Heating it seems risky to me since I don't want to damage anything else. Does anyone have some good ideas?
Thanks!!

KingRex 03-17-2009 04:05 PM

Re: Seized brake caliper bolt.

I had this issue as well.. What I did was dill a small hole in the mount, where the bolt goes in, it pops though to the back of the caliper bolt, you can use something with a pointed edge and tap it out, since they like to rust up inside the mount. The little hole hurts nothing, I just covered it back up with JB weld.

IF you leave the bolt in the caliper, you need to flip the caliper up and off the disk so you can hammer it out, then you can just undo the bolt that way

stu 03-17-2009 04:55 PM

If this is your only ride, put your wheel back on and go get a pair of new caliper pins.

Can't tell which way you are turning the head, but it is a right-handed thread. It may not matter, as you will probably turn the head off of the pin anyway. If you have a small propane torch, you can apply some heat to the pin housing on the mounting bracket & see if it comes loose. There is a higher chance that the pin is stuck in the housing than that the threads are seized. Make sure that you are using the proper metric socket on the head.

When you have given up on trying to free the pin with the caliper in place, give your ratchet or breaker bar a good, firm twist and break the pin off. It typically breaks below the threads. This allows you to remove the caliper & hang it by a wire from the spring on the MacPherson strut.

With the proper metric socket, remove the two bolts holding the caliper mounting bracket to the knuckle. Take the bracket with the broken caliper pin to a vise on a workbench. Typically, there is enough pin left to get a good grip with vice grips. Apply penetrating oil. Heat the pin housing up pretty good. Let some candle or canning wax melt down into the housing around the pin while it is still hot. Put the vice grips on & work back & forth. It will eventually loosen.

Clean the pin chamber with lots of solvent, penetrating oil, or whatever. Scour it with a screwdriver & thin rag, a file or bronze brush. Apply lots of silicone brake lubricant when you reassemble.

If you are unlucky and the pin breaks flush with the housing on the bracket, you will have to drill the pin on center and use an easy-out or similar to apply your back & forth twist. If this becomes your case, drill the hole as large as you dare with increasingly larger bits.

This procedure has worked on both sides of my car for me. But, don't try it if you don't have most of the tools that I mentioned.

Eliot 03-17-2009 04:55 PM

That's a good idea, but unfortunately when I don't have a drill nor a welder. I'm debating springing for a impact wrench though. Pretty expensive just to get one bolt off though.

rc1488 03-17-2009 04:57 PM

Squareback suggests heat. I can not verify this (never had this issue before) but he says once it heats up it just slides right out :)

Eliot 03-17-2009 05:03 PM

Apply heat a round the bolt not to the bolt right? Will this damage the rubber around the pin? Also how hot, glowing hot?

stu 03-17-2009 05:07 PM

Don't know where the welder thought came from. At least get a small propane torch, because heat is the ticket whether the bracket is still on the car or off. You can't use an impact wrench either. There is no rubber on the top pin. Get it hotter than you want to touch and turn it in the right direction for a right-handed thread.

But, be prepared if it breaks.

Apply heat to the housing around the body of the pin. It is unlikely that the threads are seized.

Eliot 03-17-2009 05:30 PM

hmm I believe that your right and heat would make it easy, my brake calipers have a rubber sleeve around the pin between the two parts though. Also is it safe to use it around the brake lines or should I try to remove the whole assembly?
Thanks! :)

stu 03-17-2009 05:47 PM

You do not want to apply heat near any of those rubber sleeves or the brake lines. Restrict the heat to the pin housing. Personally, I am cautious with the flame while the caliper is mounted, and that may be why I am more likely to break the pin. On the bench vise, I can really use the torch. But others may be more comfortable in applying heat near that sleeve, and are more successful than me at removing the pin while the caliper is still mounted.

Just be very mindful of the sleeve and try moderate force on your wrench frequently while heating.

ShuttlecraftX47 03-17-2009 05:58 PM

I think if heat is the factor you need, you could replace the rubber caliper pin sleeve and cut the one on there off.
I had one get stuck on my first brake job, a lower one, last of the set of 4. It was impossibly frozen. No rust! Just stuck. I held a propane torch on it for over 20 minutes to no avail. When these things get stuck, apparently they get seriously stuck.
I ended up breaking the head off, removing the whole bracket, drilling a hole through the side opposite the rubber sleeve, and poking it out.

Hopefully you can avoid that. Get a socket set for rounded bolts, $25 bucks in NAPA and very handy. Also use a breaker bar, more PB Blaster. I broke the head off using the breaker bar. Either way, it's progress. My 2 cents. Good luck with it ~

Squareback 03-17-2009 06:16 PM

Hold on hold on hold on.....

I suggest using heat when you have a caliper pin broken off in the housing and the housing removed from the car. I wouldn't suggest doing it with the caliper on it still.....that being said....here's your solution.....

You do not need to remove the top pin at all to remove the caliper. You could never put a wrench on it once and change your pads all day long. Take a small prybar or a good long flat head screwdriver. Pry at the bottom of the caliper against the rotor. Kinda hard to explain, but what you want to do is rotate the caliper up on the pin, then you can slide it right out of the caliper bracket, still on the caliper. Once you get it to move a little you can use a hammer to push it up the rest of the way. Once you have it to where the caliper will clear the rotor, push it away from the bracket. If you can't just push it out, and I suspect you won't be able to, hammer the face of the caliper and it will get the pin out. Once you have it out, spray the PB B'Laster in the hole in the caliper bracket that it came out of. Use a wire brush and clean up the caliper pin, and slide it in and out of the PB B'Laster soaked caliper bolt hole and it will clear up all of the rust and corrosion that was there. It will start sliding freely, no need to replace anything needlessly. If you don't get what I'm saying I could take some pictures to show you what I'm talking about.....this works, done it a million times up here in rusty Central NY.

Eliot 03-17-2009 06:54 PM

I would be super grateful for some pictures. I already noticed that I could just pivot the caliper up. But after that I'm a little confused. Thank you very much for helping me out.

Fox Slaughter 03-17-2009 06:57 PM

If the bolt is stuck still. If you have an Oxy torch but I doubt it, use a propane torch even though I don't think it will get hot enough. But try heating the caliper up.

stu 03-17-2009 06:57 PM

I have never put enough pressure on the caliper to bust the top pin loose as Squareback describes. But, I am going to try it when I service the brakes next spring. Can't do any more damage than I typically do already.

Since they have gone to calcium solution in place of rock salt on the roads around here, it just gets in everywhere. Seems that the front brakes need to be cleaned & lubed every spring now.

stu 03-17-2009 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=Eliot;1417665]I would be super grateful for some pictures. I already noticed that I could just pivot the caliper up. But after that I'm a little confused. Thank you very much for helping me out.[/QUOTE]

Squareback says that you can pivot that caliper all the way up so that it clears the rotor. Start hammering on the face of the caliper towards the body of the car and eventually the pin will come out of the housing.

rc1488 03-17-2009 07:10 PM

[QUOTE=Squareback;1417652]Hold on hold on hold on.....

I suggest using heat when you have a caliper pin broken off in the housing and the housing removed from the car. I wouldn't suggest doing it with the caliper on it still.....that being said....here's your solution.....

[/QUOTE]

Ahh my mistake :)

Eliot 03-17-2009 07:25 PM

I'm going to go out and try this. I'm sorry to keep asking questions but why hit the caliper with it pivoted out instead of around the rotor?
I agree with you Stu, my brakes are in a shocking state from years in the midwest, I'm definitely going to try and take better care of them from now on.

Eliot 03-17-2009 08:01 PM

amazing, got the caliper off in under a minute.

Squareback 03-17-2009 08:48 PM

[QUOTE=Eliot;1417697]amazing, got the caliper off in under a minute.[/QUOTE]

Glad you got it, sorry I bailed on ya after my response, the wife and I went out to dinner. Now you see why you hammer the caliper in. That top bolt never needs to come out. You can lube it up and clean it with it right in the caliper.

seb79 07-21-2009 02:10 AM

[QUOTE=KingRex;1417601]I had this issue as well.. What I did was dill a small hole in the mount, where the bolt goes in, it pops though to the back of the caliper bolt, you can use something with a pointed edge and tap it out, since they like to rust up inside the mount. The little hole hurts nothing, I just covered it back up with JB weld.

IF you leave the bolt in the caliper, you need to flip the caliper up and off the disk so you can hammer it out, then you can just undo the bolt that way[/QUOTE]

Hi kingrex.

I ve got problem figuring out what is your trick, so what i only understand is too drill a hole in the caliper,where the bolt is lodged in, and after what to do next??? because you talking about tapping it out,but you will be then tapping the back of the bolt and it"s anyway blocked with the fred?????
I m really interested to try your method,but i should try first to get it right, i 'm a bit thick sometime,so could you help me out please.
thanks very much