SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Dealer switching brands (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136522)

L55 04-07-2009 01:58 PM

Dealer switching brands

Quote:

“That’s really the only way we could do it,” Cusack said. “If we tried to stay on longer, we would have to cut the staff in half and wait for a new venture, maybe something out of China. But that’s not Saturn; that’s not the way we wanted to do it.”

Original article:

timespressrecorder.com/articles/2009/04/07/news/fivecities/news25.txt

fritzy 04-07-2009 02:19 PM

Re: Dealer switching brands

According to that news article, it doesn't appear that a partnership is a done deal. The dealer principal would of referred to the new partnership, instead of letting it go.

marx404 04-07-2009 02:34 PM

[QUOTE=L55;1430012]Quote:

“That’s really the only way we could do it,” Cusack said. “If we tried to stay on longer, we would have to cut the staff in half and wait for a new venture, [B]maybe something out of China. [/B]But that’s not Saturn; that’s not the way we wanted to do it.”

Original article:

timespressrecorder.com/articles/2009/04/07/news/fivecities/news25.txt[/QUOTE]

I read the whole article and it had quite a bit more than that to it. He's not really switching brands, just moving his Honda dealership to replace his Saturn in order to expand.

As the owner already had a Honda dealership and wished to move the Honda dealership next to his Toyota dealership, this presents alot of opportunities for him, excellent move as far as the Honda/Toyota thing. Bad for local Saturn owners who are also waiting to hear something from Saturn about their future plans.

However, it is unfortunate that Saturn nor GM have specifically not made any announcement yet whom when or if any partnership will occur.

This leaves many out there including the articles owner guessing that the Saturn partners may be of Chinese origin. This has not occurred nor been announced nor is it the only option on the plate.

The fact is that there has been no announcement yet leaving everyone in the dark until Saturn does actually make an announcement. Due to the economy the hard reality is that many dealerships, not just Saturn are having to choose to consolidate or close.

At our stores, we have chosen to find any way we can to stay open through this hard economic time. We choose to show the same loyalty to our customers that they have shown to us and eagerly await whatever ([I]and whenev[/I]er) Saturn's announcement will be .

VTHokie00SL2 04-07-2009 03:29 PM

[QUOTE=L55;1430012]Quote:

“If we tried to stay on longer, we would have to cut the staff in half and wait for a new venture, maybe something out of China. But that’s not Saturn; that’s not the way we wanted to do it.”

[/QUOTE]

Well said! Kudos to him for having some principles!

marx404 04-07-2009 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=VTHokie00SL2;1430051]Well said! Kudos to him for having some principles![/QUOTE]

IF - IF that was the direction that Saturn was going. Nothing of the sort has ever been said by either Saturn nor GM - [U]ever[/U].

Simply put, he chose to close the Saturn store because it was not making enough money.

[B]I agree Kudos to him for not laying people off either way though, that was awesome of him.[/B]

L55 04-07-2009 05:22 PM

I also find it somewhat worrisome that this dealer wasn't aware of any sort of done deal. You would think after the announcement over a week ago about a new Saturn partner the dealer would have worded his reply about Saturn's future differently. I've also noticed that with all the intense reporting on GM its strange that nobody in the major media has mentioned the partnership story. What gives??

fritzy 04-07-2009 07:52 PM

It could be possible that the leak from Todd, was primarily based to help sell cars and keep the moral at Saturn retailers better.

marx404 04-07-2009 07:58 PM

[QUOTE=fritzy;1430190]It could be possible that the leak from Todd, was primarily based to help sell cars and keep the moral at Saturn retailers better.[/QUOTE]

Or that it was a media misquote. It happens.

L55 04-07-2009 08:07 PM

Where is Jill in all this? We haven't heard any updates and she said she'd update as things moved forward.

marx404 04-07-2009 10:21 PM

[QUOTE=L55;1430113][B]You would think after the announcement over a week ago about a new Saturn partner [/B]the dealer would have worded his reply about Saturn's future differently. I've also noticed that with all the intense reporting on GM its strange that [B]nobody in the major media has mentioned the partnership story[/B]. What gives??[/QUOTE]

That would be because there is NO partnership story? Neither Saturn nor GM have made any official statements yet on anything, especially pertaining to a partnership.

Hopefully soon, Saturn or GM will say something , but right now everything pertaining to partnerships info is all speculations and media misquotes.

L55 04-08-2009 07:00 AM

If there is no partnership story, are you saying the statement below was a huge lie ?

"In the next three weeks, we will announce a long-term partnership that will provide Saturn with world-class cars," said Todd Ingersoll, the leader of Saturn's Franchise Operations Team. Ingersoll owns Saturn of Danbury and Saturn of Watertown.

marx404 04-08-2009 07:20 AM

[QUOTE=L55;1430432]If there is no partnership story, are you saying the statement below was a huge lie ?

"In the next three weeks, we will announce a long-term partnership that will provide Saturn with world-class cars," said Todd Ingersoll, the leader of Saturn's Franchise Operations Team. Ingersoll owns Saturn of Danbury and Saturn of Watertown.[/QUOTE]

L55, I think you best summed it up yourself in your Original post, which is what I replied upon. Emphasis on the [B]bold[/B] part.

[quote][B]I also find it somewhat worrisome that this dealer wasn't aware of any sort of done deal. [/B]You would think after the announcement over a week ago about a new Saturn partner the dealer would have worded his reply about Saturn's future differently. I've also noticed that with all the intense reporting on GM its strange that nobody in the major media has mentioned the partnership story. What gives??
[/quote]

This media quote has neither been confirmed nor denied. It could happen, it just hasn't happened yet. I'm patiently rooting for the "happened" part.

But [U]I do get your point [/U]and well meant btw, yes.
Why are retailers closing shop when some type of announcement is supposedly coming around the bend?
One word answer: Recession.
Cheers!

L55 04-08-2009 08:00 AM

marx i agree which is why the Todd Ingersoll quote seems to be puzzling. I would assume if he was misquoted on such a sensitive topic he would have asked for a clarification or retraction from his local paper that printed it. I've seen neither. In the meantime his quote has made the rounds of many blogs and auto web sites but other dealers are still talking as if there's no deal. Very strange. One thing is for sure..Saturn's self imposed deadline for news is up at the end of next week so we'll know then, what Saturn's future is.