SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   turn signal light (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114399)

snowwhite 02-27-2008 07:51 PM

turn signal light

I DID do a search on this subject but still have a question. First, the problem. When I use my right turn signal it is blinking in the dashboard way faster than usual. From what I saw on this sight the problem is the bulb. My question is being that I was in "park" at the gas station and got out and saw that the signal worked outside, does this mean that it is NOT working when I'm traveling. I thought that is what someone said on another thread. Where are these bulbs that need to be changed? What is the deal. I don't want to get ripped off....I'm female. Sorry to sound sexist but it's the truth.

RoadIon 02-27-2008 08:25 PM

Re: turn signal light

did you check the operation of both the front and rear turn signal?

Tethys 02-27-2008 08:50 PM

The bulbs are in your head and taillamp assemblies and they're very easy to change yourself, if you have the right tool to loosen the fasteners. Do you have a friend or a mechanic who can replace the bulb for you if you don't want to try it?

So, either those traveling behind you don't see one of your turn signals flashing or those coming toward you don't see the blinker blinking.

HamBone 02-27-2008 09:15 PM

[QUOTE=snowwhite;1208622]I DID do a search on this subject but still have a question. First, the problem. When I use my right turn signal it is blinking in the dashboard way faster than usual. From what I saw on this sight the problem is the bulb. My question is being that I was in "park" at the gas station and got out and saw that the signal worked outside, does this mean that it is NOT working when I'm traveling. I thought that is what someone said on another thread. Where are these bulbs that need to be changed? What is the deal. I don't want to get ripped off....I'm female. Sorry to sound sexist but it's the truth.[/QUOTE]
The rapid flash is because your [U]turn[/U] signal is out. The park function uses the same bulb but a different filiment. The small or minor filiment is still intact but the large filiment is out. Turn on your turn signal and then look at the head light and the tail light from out side. the one that is not blinking needs to be replaced. The turn bulb on the head light can be removed just by turning the bulb base. You could remove the headlight if you want (I dont think it is required). The head lights come out easy by pulling out the "L" shaped pins (2) and then removing the head light from the car. Then remove the bulb by twisting. Next pull the bulb from the base and then replace the bulb. I am not sure how to remove the tail light. I think there is some screws and some nuts that have to be removed to get at the tail light bulb. If it is in the rear, post a note and ill try to see how to remove it. It might be in your owners manual.

Hambone.:yes:

snowwhite 02-27-2008 09:42 PM

thank you, I really appreciate the input from everyone. :)

nababbo 02-28-2008 12:37 AM

the rear has screws that you can see when you open the trunk. Take those off (you need a torx driver) and it's very easy to replace.

RoadIon 02-28-2008 09:55 AM

you may find that your the sexist, because i have never ripped off a woman in all the years i was in the service dept, and i do not know of any of the tech's that rips off anyone male or female.

turn on the offending turn signal with the key on and get out of the car and look at the front and the rear lamp assemblies, one will not be blinking. change the one that does not come on at all. if you do not know what to do stop by anyone you trust and have then do it for you. maybe you could have your father do it i don't see a reason he would rip you off.

HamBone 03-01-2008 12:03 AM

[QUOTE=RoadIon;1208939] maybe you could have your father do it i don't see a reason he would rip you off.[/QUOTE]

LOL! "That will be $49.95 please"

HeyMo:yes:

yogi1200 03-01-2008 05:42 PM

You guy's do realize that a year from now, Snowwhite will be a master member, and able to diagnose most problems right? As my wife of 24 years tells me, "Don't let the blonde hair fool you!" Snowwhite, Just keep reading the post's and "How-to" sections, You will soon be knowledgable in most thing Saturn and have no trouble posting fixes or idea's. Damn. That is a good thing, right? Just kidding LOL.

SaturnSdn 03-02-2008 02:22 PM

[QUOTE=HamBone;1209797]LOL! "That will be $49.95 please"

HeyMo:yes:[/QUOTE]

seeing she just may be a sexist, her dad might charge her just for the sake of making a point.

QCs_R4_Girls 03-03-2008 01:48 AM

Ugh, guys, c'mon. :rolleyes:

It sounds like the rear light is out, since you said it works in the front. You're going to need a Torx screwdriver, size 15. It looks like *. If you're not sure if the screwdriver will fit, go to a local hardware shop, explain to the guy that you need to replace your taillight but you're not sure of the size. tell the guy you want to check if it fits before you buy it and ask him if you can quick run out to your car and check. Most local shops will ok this, especially from a girl. (shush all of you, I'm speaking with the voice of experience here :))

After that, its 3 screws. Don't lose them. Follow bulb replacement procedures above.

You don't need someone else to do this for you. Plus, as mentioned above, guys will be both helpful and impressed that you know what you're talking about. :D

yogi1200 03-04-2008 04:33 PM

Qc R4 Girls, Thanks for backing me up here. I think?