SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   "Change oil soon" light (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123890)

VueinNC 08-10-2008 04:32 PM

"Change oil soon" light

My daughter called me last week and said her "change oil soon" light on her 03 Vue was on. It goes off about 10 seconds after you start the engine. I had the oil changed and the light is still comes on for a brief moment. Is there some way to reset it so it will stay off?

FGCA_XRL 08-10-2008 04:36 PM

Re: "Change oil soon" light

Turn the KEY(not the car) to the on position (do not start the car). press the accelerator 3 times and hold it on the 3rd for like 10 seconds. Turn the car off and then it should have reset.

I think that's how you do it. In any case, it's in the book.

Ritz 08-10-2008 05:49 PM

The reset procedure is in the manual. Turn the key to the on position (but don't start it). Within 5 seconds press the gas all the way down and back up 3 times. The idiot light should flash for about 20 seconds or so and then will go out. Turn the key to off and start to verify that the light has been reset.

Cheers,

1saxman 08-10-2008 06:38 PM

Wait! It's an '03! You have to go under the hood. Find the removable black rectangular cover for the relay box from the driver's side. Look closely and find the red rectangular push-button with 'OIL' on it. With the key in 'RUN' position (engine running or not), hold down the button for ten seconds. Replace the cover, turn the key off and start the car. The light should flash and go out. It will come back on very briefly every time the car is started.

onefunkar 08-10-2008 07:43 PM

why didnt the oil change place reset it?? i would think it is part of there job

onefunkar 08-10-2008 07:44 PM

but i bet they had time to put on the fake 3000 mile sticker.

guitar_stitch 08-10-2008 11:11 PM

Most oil change places don't know about that feature.

It's one reason why I quit paying some other monkey to change my oil.

onefunkar 08-10-2008 11:38 PM

it seems that an oil change place should have enough pride in there job and do it right. sorry but this is one of my pet peeves. olm have been on gm cars in numbers since the late 90s. wake up. they dont reset it and you need to change oil in 3k miles. same with places that screw up tire pressure monitors. learn your job. many many are good but others give the rest a bad name

1saxman 08-11-2008 09:39 AM

If some of the most experienced people on this forum didn't know how to do it on the early VUE, why should anyone expect a grease monkey to know? Take responsibility for your own vehicle when it comes to quirky little details that are out of the ordinary.

onefunkar 08-11-2008 10:22 AM

because its his job to know

twosaturns 08-11-2008 10:30 AM

[QUOTE=onefunkar;1297809]it seems that an oil change place should have enough pride in [U]there[/U] job and do it right. sorry but this is one of my pet peeves. [/QUOTE]

And people that don't know the difference between 'there' and 'their' is one of MY pet peeves.

Ritz 08-11-2008 05:43 PM

[QUOTE=1saxman;1297657]Wait! It's an '03! You have to go under the hood. Find the removable black rectangular cover for the relay box from the driver's side. Look closely and find the red rectangular push-button with 'OIL' on it. With the key in 'RUN' position (engine running or not), hold down the button for ten seconds. Replace the cover, turn the key off and start the car. The light should flash and go out. It will come back on very briefly every time the car is started.[/QUOTE]

Oops, I stand corrected. I didn't notice it was an '03.

Cheers,

YourMainParadox 08-16-2008 04:20 PM

well how do you expect them to know how to do it on every car? I worked at a toyota dealership but other cars came in as well. It was hard enought to learn the 50 different ways to reset the toyota oil change light let alone the other 100,000 other manufacturer/models ways

wlhawk 08-17-2008 09:58 AM

Another reason to maintain a vehicle yourself, within your ability to do so & a place to do the work. No guy in a fast lube is going to care as much about my car as I do. :D

rayzur9 08-20-2008 03:39 PM

Funny to see this question again. Didnt we have a 50+ post thread about this at one time? :dizzy:

pdough 08-21-2008 04:52 PM

Why would they care to reset your OLM? They are in business to take your money which means they will tell you to come in every 3000 miles (light or no light) while the OLM might tell you to change in up to 9,000 or so miles. In that case they'd lose money, so they don't want you to pay attention to the light. It'd be bad business for them.

If I were taking mine to an oil change shop, I'd reset it myself as soon as I got it home just to be sure it was done.