SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=79)
-   -   My '93 SL2 failed NJ emissions. (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56899)

$1K Special 06-28-2005 06:55 PM

My '93 SL2 failed NJ emissions.

First off, still being new to this forum I'd like to thank and congratulate you all on your wonderful work. Now then, both the NOx and HC were slightly above the state maximum (will post actual numbers shortly) but the CO was well below the limit. The ECTS was replaced five weeks ago and the PCV valve, plugs and wires are roughly two months old. Curently no trouble codes stored (paperclip test) or SES light at all under any conditions. Are the EGR valve and/or catalytic suspects here? I should note it has 148k miles and runs nicely. Thanks in advance.

JADEDSL2 06-28-2005 06:59 PM

Re: My '93 SL2 failed NJ emissions.

[QUOTE=$1K Special]First off, still being new to this forum I'd like to thank and congratulate you all on your wonderful work. Now then, both the NOx and HC were slightly above the state maximum (will post actual numbers shortly) but the CO was well below the limit. The ECTS was replaced five weeks ago and the PCV valve, plugs and wires are roughly two months old. Curently no trouble codes stored (paperclip test) or SES light at all under any conditions. Are the EGR valve and/or catalytic suspects here? I should note it has 148k miles and runs nicely. Thanks in advance.[/QUOTE]

check your O2 sensor. Sounds like your cat isn't doing it's job, or your PCM doesn't know how to have your car run. Both could be due to the O2 sensor. Replace it, and see if you pass. (cheap fix) Then, if you still fail, try a new cat, but make sure if you get a new cat to also replace that ****in' O2 sensor. "Go as a pair the two of these do."- :cool:

sierrap615 06-29-2005 02:57 AM

i hate to say it but the cat is mostly at fault, did they give you a CO2 reading? you can try cleaning the EGR but i can't gairentee anything.

farescb 06-29-2005 03:15 PM

I had the same issue and it was the EGR valve. You can clean the carbon built up on it. you should be able to find articles on how to clean it on this forum. I just replaced them since they had never been replaced before so I didn't have to go back for a test.

ralheid 06-29-2005 04:04 PM

All the above, plus check the air cleaner filter (clean/replace), and look at your new EGR Valve, is it oily or cruddy? (ie too much blow-by can cause poor emissions test.)

Applefool 06-29-2005 04:12 PM

You might try cleaning the EGR as well as the throttle body followed by either the steam cleaning procedure in the how-to or any of the other top engine cleaning procedures. If it were me, I would drive it for at least a 100 miles or so after that and change the oil before retesting.

Noobsaturndude 06-30-2005 04:28 AM

yea thats what I was going to say too check egr(is it just me or am I the only one that thinks egr valves are stupid?) O2 sensor I had an eagle premier that failed at it was the O2 sensor. then get you cat checked out. those are the only things I can think of that would be doing that.

sierrap615 06-30-2005 11:37 PM

[QUOTE=Noobsaturndude]am I the only one that thinks egr valves are stupid?[/QUOTE]

EGR valves aren't that stupid, they do a good job, however EGR valves on Diesels are beyond stupid.

just my 2 cents

JADEDSL2 07-01-2005 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=sierrap615]EGR valves aren't that stupid, they do a good job, however EGR valves on Diesels are beyond stupid.

just my 2 cents[/QUOTE]

No crap. Why bother? I hate diesels. Worthless piles of junk, and they stink like hell too.

Nowhere Man 07-01-2005 10:59 PM

[QUOTE=JADEDSL2]No crap. Why bother? I hate diesels. Worthless piles of junk, and they stink like hell too.[/QUOTE]
You can run diesels off of used vegtable oil. Then you have free fuel and the emissions tests show better results than a really clean gas engine.

JADEDSL2 07-02-2005 09:34 AM

[QUOTE=Nowhere Man]You can run diesels off of used vegtable oil. Then you have free fuel and the emissions tests show better results than a really clean gas engine.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes. Even so, diesel's break easy, and they're expensive as hell to fix. We sell injection pumps on a regular basis (reman mind you, not new) for anywhere from 1600 to 2600 dollars. I don't think so, I'll keep my 30+ mpg gas burner. Plus, as of last year, my '91 passed emissions with better readings than some 2005 4-bangers.