SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Outlook General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   How many of you put Bug Shields on the front of your Outlook? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142168)

Big O 08-01-2009 04:56 PM

How many of you put Bug Shields on the front of your Outlook?

Was just curious how many of you put these on your SUV, I just installed
a genuine GM Bugshield made for the Outlook, and it looks very nice,
I did have to drill two 1/16" holes in the underside of the hood for two screws,
The rest of it is held on by 3M two sided tape. It was a very neat fit, and not very hard to install. Drilling holes in a new car does give me the willies though! :) But I got through it with no permanent Brain Damage!:D

Regards Big O;)

cmd146 08-02-2009 07:12 PM

Re: How many of you put Bug Shields on the front of your Outlook?

Responded to your post over on saturnoutlookforum.net. I wanted to know if you could post pics of your Outlook with the bug shield installed.

I don't have one, but am thinking about getting one.

Big O 08-02-2009 07:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
CMD,
I put a picture in over on the other site and I will put one here also.
Regards Big O :)

Big O 08-02-2009 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Heres one more! So what do you think of it?
I like the looks myself! :D
Regards Big O:)

Charlie 08-02-2009 09:06 PM

Thanks for posting the picture! It looks good!! :yes:

Charlie

magicchiz 08-02-2009 10:16 PM

I too put a Weather Tech bug shied on mine. I have a white one and it looks really good with the rest of the black on the car. I also put the Weather Tech window shields. Weather Tech brand Goes in the channel and not double sticked to the outside of the vechicle.
JC

cmd146 08-03-2009 12:28 PM

[QUOTE=Big O;1491180]Heres one more! So what do you think of it?
I like the looks myself! :D
Regards Big O:)[/QUOTE]

I think it looks great! It really stands out on the red. Probably will look more subdued with my moonlight blue. Might have to pick one up.

-Carlo

Big O 08-03-2009 02:28 PM

For Vent visors Weathertech is the way to go Mounting in the window channel vs 3m two sided tape makes a neater more finished look. :)
That is my next purchase for the Outlook.:D

Doug C 08-05-2009 10:35 PM

I actually did purchase the "Perfect Fit" hood guard p/n PF375HG from my dealership for less than $120cdn ways back before a trip to central Canada (manitoba) in April/May.

Before I pulled out my cc, the parts guy did state there were reports of wind noise but i had never gone for a hwy roadtrip w/o it and have not bothered to slip it off while in transit one day crossing the prairies on the TCH, to actually do a comparison. Maybe there is new wind noise but quite often drive with a window open a bit anyways, so of course there is wind noise !

Installation was quick and easy with no drilling required screws supplied go into existing hood underside lip holes. And the only tool ya need is a philips screwdriver. It took me longer to figure out how to remove the glue residue from the yellow bump-on location stickers than it took to actually install the unit. Finally tried a smear of vaseline which lifted the residue off with a clean rag. Hmmmm i might have a pic of my unit with . . . . . anywho, its black on red tooo ! :cool:

doug c

rerunjas 08-06-2009 01:01 AM

Bug Shields? I think bug shields really look TACKY on any car, not just Outlooks! Do they really help keep bugs from hitting your windscreen? They certainly take away from a cars good looks, so dont know if its worth it.

VWCarcrazy 08-06-2009 10:19 AM

Bug shields went the way of the dinosaurs years ago. It shouts, "I'm over 50 and still living in the 1980's". They really do not protect your windshield, and often cause added noise and turbulence. All they do is somewhat protect the leading edge of your hood, and not very well at that. Anything that you have to attach with screws and double-stick tape is not going on the front of my SUV or car. I have the 3M Clear Film on the front all my vehicles. It is much subtler and "invisible".

ClapDaddy 08-06-2009 11:17 AM

[QUOTE=Big O;1490615]Was just curious how many of you put these on your SUV, I just installed
a genuine GM Bugshield made for the Outlook, and it looks very nice,
I did have to drill two 1/16" holes in the underside of the hood for two screws,
The rest of it is held on by 3M two sided tape. It was a very neat fit, and not very hard to install. Drilling holes in a new car does give me the willies though! :) But I got through it with no permanent Brain Damage!:D

Regards Big O;)[/QUOTE]

Something that I have found that protects the hood, front fascia and mirrors is called the "Clear Bra". The paint does not fade with it and it is easy to clean any bug stuff off the vehicle with normal cleaning. I also had my front license plate and door edges treated.

You can see it on my car; well you can NOT see it on my car :D on this site.

I purchased it from [url]http://www.aapcolumbus.com/[/url]

Doug C 08-06-2009 12:48 PM

".....the 3M Clear Film on the front all my vehicles...."

Ahhh I think this will be no diff' than what those vehicles look like when its see-thru signage is peeled off ! And they reportedly need a new paint job ! At the very least you will see a two-tone vehicle !

I applied the 'screen more as rock/stone deflector 'cause up here (with one freeway being particulary (sp?) bad) they allow construction vehicles with loose grit to travel leaving a trail of cracks and dents on innocent vehicles. You can tell if a vehicle travels more than 2 days a wk on this freeway by the splintered windshields and dents/chips on the front of the hood. Saw a Outlook like mine (in colour) but already needed a new windshield (and a wash) Knew right-a-way it has seen time on the 'freeway'

Bug splat' I can take off fairly easy with a wash and finish with spot applications (& carefulrub) of Delco glass cleaner.

IMHO,
doug c :zzz:

cmd146 08-06-2009 02:29 PM

Well I wouldn't stick one on an Astra or Aura either folks...:rolleyes: Looks right at home on an SUV to me though (or CUV if your prefer). I'll wait to hear back from the OP (Big O) on how well it works on an Outlook, but they used to work well for me on work trucks that I used to drive. May go with one on the Outlook. For the Aura, we'll keep using the Bra on long road trips.

Big O 08-06-2009 05:47 PM

Well Saturn Outlook Fans,
I did get to try it out on the Highway to see if there was any difference in
wind noise or turbulence, and what I found was Silence!!! This is a Quiet SUV
and adding a bugshield made no difference whatsoever!. This is as Quiet as my Bosses 09 Caddy CTS and probably the quietest vehicle I have ever owned. So the bugshield stays, I think touch up paint dots on a stone chipped hood look a whole lot Tackier!, than a bugshield , and if it saves one stone from screwing up my windshield it was well worth the investment!
No they are not for everybody we all have are preferences , but I am satisfied with mine.:D
Regards Big O;)

VWCarcrazy 08-07-2009 06:58 PM

And where did you get that purely made-up line of tripe? The 3M clear film (clear "bra") does NOT cause uneven fading of the paint, or any issues that would require a repaint. 3M clear film has been used for over 20 years, and is standard OEM equipment on many new cars from GM to Ford to Toyota (rocker panels, etc). And if you really think that "bug shield" actually changes the travel of obstacles approaching your windshield and magically diverts them away, you are sadly mistaken. I had more broken windshields on a SUV with a bug shield (back in the 80's by the way, when they were actually almost considered stylish), than any other vehicle I have owned. But that would be coincidence, and not a fact to be exterpolated across the entire population.

onefunkar 08-07-2009 07:09 PM

should have i have a paint chip on the front edge fo the hood. pretty noticeable

Big O 08-08-2009 11:57 AM

All I know for sure is, It does not make any additional air turbulence or noise, and I have had vehicles with a bugshield on and vehicles without and the ones with the shield on had minimal stone chips or marks in the hood.

Also as to what is fashionable? Thats an individuals personal preference and no one person or group dictates that. Evidently enough people still use them
because they are still available for most cars and trucks and they have not quit selling them yet! :) Maybe thats just for us over 50 crowd that is so out of touch to whats (Fashionable), funny though I have seen them on BMW , Lexus and Mercedes crossovers and they look good on them in my opinion!
Regards Big O :D

yogi 08-10-2009 09:34 AM

I think it would look much better if it didnt stick out passed the hood on the sides. have you had any problems with it chattering on the hood?

Big O 08-10-2009 12:49 PM

Yogi,
No it doesnt even move on the ends they are supported by rubber bumpers that keep tension on them . No movement at all.
It is very quiet at Highway speeds! :)
Regards Big O:D