SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Connect Car to laptop? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106999)

alienworkshop 10-02-2007 05:32 PM

Connect Car to laptop?

This is kind of a silly question, but I was wondering what it takes to connect your car to a laptop. I've looked on google, but all I find is car-computers.

nivlem7 10-02-2007 08:22 PM

Re: Connect Car to laptop?

I'm assuming you mean for diagnostics? You need some software that will work first, as well as an OBD to serial cable. You can buy the cables for about $20. There is some open-source software that is free, or you can buy a more refined version for whatever you're willing to pay (meaning there are a lot out there).

You may want to check this site out:

[url]http://freediag.sourceforge.net/[/url]

It looks like what I think you're looking for. I'm not affiliated with them, BTW. It should have more explanations.

eRic 02sc2 10-02-2007 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=alienworkshop;1132978]This is kind of a silly question, but I was wondering what it takes to connect your car to a laptop. I've looked on google, but all I find is car-computers.[/QUOTE]

I purchased the EASE Palm PDA Scan Tool that's connected to the OBD-II DLC in my Saturn but it's universal and they have a PC version so you can use a laptop (or desktop) to do the same thing. [url]www.obd2.com[/url]

s3nfo 10-03-2007 02:26 PM

[url]www.auterraweb.com[/url]

alienworkshop 10-03-2007 08:13 PM

That was what I was looking for, but my car is not OBDII. Is there anything that supports us pre-96ers?

fdryer 10-03-2007 08:53 PM

Other than using the simple paper clip method and counting light flashes for decoding OBD I have you tried Googling OBD I scanners?

eRic 02sc2 10-03-2007 10:53 PM

AutoZone and Advance Auto Part have Actron GM OBD I Code Scanners.

alienworkshop 10-03-2007 11:46 PM

Thanks for all the help. The Auterra is very close to what I was looking for.

I'm basically looking for software/hardware that allows me to monitor misc. stuff on continuously. The Dyno feature of Auterra is also very nice. I'm pretty new to cars, so I don't know much about this stuff :dizzy:

Low Saturn 10-05-2007 12:03 PM

We have an OTC Pathfinder II that has an output to a PC. Works on OBDI and OBDII.

deadmeat3344 10-19-2007 11:54 PM

i have [url]http://www.dac.co.yu/images/modiszasajt/MODIS2_large.jpg[/url]

costs as much as 12 saturns tho.

JAC_GRE 11-01-2007 08:55 AM

I have the perfect solution for you,I am selling my scan tool for less than half of what I paid.Its made by EASE DIAGNOSTICS and it is a professional tool.See thier web site at obd2.com.The nice thing I like about it is bi-directional control.Contact me if you would like further information.

SaturnManiac 11-03-2007 11:05 PM

There is also AutoTap. It's a program you install on your computer and it comes with the cables.

mademore 10-30-2011 02:40 AM

[QUOTE=alienworkshop;1132978]This is kind of a silly question, but I was wondering what it takes to connect your car to a laptop. I've looked on google, but all I find is car-computers.[/QUOTE]

I guess what you want is impossible, I havent heard that yet before..

Low Saturn 10-30-2011 02:46 AM

Welcome to 2007. Did you get here in a Delorean? How's Doc Brown doing?

Werks11 11-01-2011 04:19 PM

If HP has a tune for your car you can connect to your laptop via the program and cable they send you.

lowriderglen 11-10-2011 08:12 PM

Pcm help

Does anyone know of someone that can reprogram a 97" OBD2 ecm???

hollysurly 06-06-2012 02:56 AM

You cannot plug your laptop into your car for anything other than power. At least not in stock form. There are several ways to change the stock fuel injection mappings, if that is what you mean by 'tuning'.

Your ECU does not accommodate any affectionate of anchorage that a all-encompassing computer will affix to and collaborate with. Instead, you can adapt portions of your ECU (depending on how abundant money you wish to spend) that will acquiesce you to change the ammunition bang mappings. You can aswell braid in some affectionate of agent accessory amid your sensors and the ECU in adjustment to 'trick' the ECU into cerebration it is entering a altered accompaniment so that it may aftermath the adapted output.

While these are all means to change your banal mapping, none of them are acutally recommended for shade-tree mechanics, as the 'tuning' is absolutely difficult to accomplish after a dyno. The pre-programmed maps about accessible are usually created by acceleration shops with dyno equipment.

[U]“You don’t get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate.”[/U]

Johnlawrence 10-06-2012 12:58 AM

well now a days there are various modern workshops in the developing states that do connect the laptop for performance dyno and for general tuning of your ride but but connecting car with laptop for long term basis i haven't heard that till now ........ off course for sure you can connect the Notebook or laptop with an additional adapter.... if you would like to....