SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   L-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   2003 L200 Rear Brakes (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232659)

Murby 09-28-2017 11:52 AM

2003 L200 Rear Brakes

Hi Folks,
The drivers side rear brake assembly on my wife's 2003 Saturn L200 sort of self destructed.. Looks like the wheel cylinder let loose and pinned the drum pads against the rotor or something.

Had to cut the brake drum to get the darn thing off since they didn't put jacking screw threads into it.

I'm in need of a parts diagram to show how it all goes back together.. I bought all new parts from the wheel cylinder to the pads, spring kit, and the brake drum..

Can someone help?

fdryer 09-28-2017 12:05 PM

Re: 2003 L200 Rear Brakes

It would be easier to use the opposite side for reference and mirror image as long as you don't disassemble the working side. Service manual drawings aren't as clear as photos and manuals no longer have photos. Googling for specific brakes may show an actual image of your rear brakes too.

Are your rear brakes disc or drums?

Murby 09-28-2017 04:52 PM

The car has drums on the rear and getting the one side off was nearly impossible.. I had to cut the drum off with a slicer wheel..

They designed it so you couldn't put a bearing puller on the backside and no jacking screws to work with..

fdryer 09-28-2017 05:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Are you aware of an access hole on the backing plate to; insert a screwdriver in the access hole and push the park brake lever toward the outside of the drum to release the shoes from the adjuster. All star wheel adjusters allow manually adjusting them for brake shoe contact before and after putting drums on. When the drum retaining screw is removed, well worn drums have an inside lip that prevents drum removal so adjusting the star wheel to retract brakes allows clears the lip for drum removal.

Murby 09-29-2017 12:20 PM

I tried that.. there's two of those rubber plugs.. one on each side and it didn't work...

pierrot 09-29-2017 12:26 PM

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]I can send you some pictures and information. Please send a p/m with an email address to send the info to.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Murby 10-01-2017 07:24 PM

UPDATE:

I was able to complete the job.

Had to cut the drum off with an angle grinder and a slicer blade but it came off easy once I did that!

Took photos of the inside for reference..

The idiots at Saturn decided to bolt the wheel cylinder on in such a way that they must have intentionally manufactured a special tool.. There was no way to get a wrench or a socket on it as the bolt head was too close to another part.. There just wasn't enough physical room for the metal of the wrench or socket to go around the bolt head.

Had to cut it off.. Then discovered the they bolted on the (Aluminum?) wheel cylinder with a carbon steel bolt? HUH? What are these people thinking?

So when I replaced blown cylinder, I also replaced the bolt with a stainless steel socket head cap screw.

Unrelated:
They did the same thing with the heat shield under the gas tank on this car.. They secured an aluminum heat shield with a carbon steel fastener.. What kind of moron engineer does this?

Thanks for all your help folks! But I have to say that after owning a GMC pickup truck and a Saturn car, I will never buy another GM vehicle. I've owned GM vehicles all my life, something has gone very wrong with this company.

Thanks!

born again 10-02-2017 09:35 PM

Aluminum and steel do not play well together in the presence of chloride solution (AKA salt). The resulting corrosion is stronger than crazy glue. If anything, GM and other carmakers have increased this practice as greater amounts of aluminum are used for suspension parts.

nancy gilbert 10-02-2017 11:44 PM

Let me add some personal information here. Some of the brake line hoses for 2002 and 2003 L200's were defective in that the interior of the hose would delaminate over time and prevent passage of hydraulic fluid from the caliper or drum back to the master cylinder, causing the brakes to drag and lockup. When it happened to me, I had all four of the hoses replaced. No problems since ...