SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Miscellaneous Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Power Window Switches (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20918)

06-10-2003 09:12 PM

Power Window Switches

Does anybody know if the power window switches are controlled by software, or is there something physically different with the drivers side switch that makes it an "auto-down" switch? If its in the switch, could I somehow make the rest of em auto-down switches?

Thanks for your feedback.

OhioVueBoy 06-10-2003 10:04 PM

I know at least on my mom's Monte Carlo, a seperate little microswitch gets pushed after you pass the first detent, kind of like your Saturn has.
~D.J.~

wolfman 06-10-2003 11:24 PM

YEP, the switch itself has a little extra something special in it for the driver's
side "express down" feature.

06-11-2003 10:35 AM

Soooo, if I were to order a couple of drivers side switches, do you think it would be possible to switch em all out?

wolfman 06-11-2003 09:27 PM

Depending on how good your fabrication skills are...The centrally located switch that incorperates the express down switch for the driver's window is basically one big unit (not four seperate switches) You'd have to disaasemble and remove the "extra" switching componant and then figure out how to graft it into the other switches...that is IF it would even fit. It "might" be easier and possible just wire the express down portion of the existing switch to express down ALL the windows when activated, (don't really know if it could be done or not) but it would do this EVERY TIME you hit the express down detent.

OhioVueBoy 06-11-2003 10:34 PM

I loved how the Olds Cutlass Supreme convertables had an "All Down" button that dropped all of the windows at once.
~D.J.~

wolfman 06-11-2003 10:40 PM

I will add that if you have one of the GEN1 cars with PDL that have a switch built into the KEY SLOT on the driver's door that unlocks ALL the doors with a turn of the key...it would be "relatively easy" to add a wire that would trip and roll down all the PW that way. (As a "Jetta" does) I HAVE seen THAT done. As a bonus, with RKE and an added relay, it "can" also be done that way as well.

06-11-2003 10:47 PM

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by wolfman [/i]
[B]I will add that if you have one of the GEN1 cars with PDL that have a switch built into the KEY SLOT on the driver's door that unlocks ALL the doors with a turn of the key...it would be "relatively easy" to add a wire that would trip and roll down all the PW that way. (As a "Jetta" does) I HAVE seen THAT done. As a bonus, with RKE and an added relay, it "can" also be done that way as well. [/B][/QUOTE]
That sounds like a good idea, and relatively feasible. I'll have to start playing with this once I get the power window motors replaced in the back....

Thanks as always guys! :grnjump: :redjump:

ssicarman 06-11-2003 11:25 PM

Unfortunately the last S-series power window switch that I had apart was all electronic inside it. There where not really any individual "switches". It's not like the older style (pre Saturn) switchs that had copper contacts and such. Try for a switch from a wrecking yard to see if you can do anything with it.