SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   KYB & Monroe Rebates on ROCKAUTO (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207564)

SuperGreen 04-16-2015 02:12 PM

KYB & Monroe Rebates on ROCKAUTO

So.. it has come to my attention that Kyb and Monroe are offering rebates on select struts and shocks.

I need to replace my (stock? ****ty aftermarket 10 year old? ) struts.

I can either buy complete Monroe quick struts with springs and mounts for 280 (after $120 dollar visa gift card rebate)

ORR

I can buy 4x kyb gr-2 (excels or whatever they want to call them now)

either complete strut+mount+boot assembly for roughly $240 (after $40 dollar rebate)

or just buy 2x front and 2x rear struts for roughly $160 and use my stock mounts.

My concern is I imagine my mounts are not that good as they are most likely stock, but granted they are still usable and in fair shape, would Kybs mount right into them?

Also is the boot a necessary component? When I replaced the struts on my miata I never got a boot or a mount, I just popped the gr-2 in there and called it a day.

lil_buddy 04-16-2015 08:45 PM

Re: KYB & Monroe Rebates on ROCKAUTO

I have kyb's and am very pleased. I have no experience with monroes.

I would definitely get the mounts, you don't want to take off the struts and find you have to get the mounts.

You can check your boots without removing anything. Go see if they are in one piece. Grab them and see if they crumble. Boots extend the life of the struts, but no, they are not necessary, strictly speaking.

SuperGreen 04-17-2015 08:53 AM

[QUOTE=lil_buddy;2134627]I have kyb's and am very pleased. I have no experience with monroes.

I would definitely get the mounts, you don't want to take off the struts and find you have to get the mounts.

You can check your boots without removing anything. Go see if they are in one piece. Grab them and see if they crumble. Boots extend the life of the struts, but no, they are not necessary, strictly speaking.[/QUOTE]

Money is tight right now, so for me to buy all 4x struts with boots and mounts just about doubles the price, wheras if I can just buy the struts and get the rebate still. and only spend about $120 after rebate. Maybe I can go to a junk yard and get mounts off a new gen. How can you tell when a mount is bad?

fetchitfido 04-17-2015 10:37 AM

Need new front mounts, they tend to fall apart when you take them apart. The rear mounts you can reuse without issue as they're just a giant block of rubber.

Don't bother with new boots, just reuse the old ones unless they're torn/broken. Use zip-ties to secure them in place.

Monroe quick-struts have a history of squeaking worse than a squeezed mouse. Even after all the revisions they made it's still an issue with the "newest" ones last I knew.