SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Iconic Saturn Brand Could Stay on the Road Beyond General Motors (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130088)

Charlie 12-04-2008 10:13 PM

Iconic Saturn Brand Could Stay on the Road Beyond General Motors

A new feeditems entry has been added:

[drupal=2723]Iconic Saturn Brand Could Stay on the Road Beyond General Motors[/drupal]

[quote]G. Chambers Williams III from the Nashville Tennessean and USA Today newspapers: Whether or not General Motors receives emergency federal loans, it may have to sacrifice its iconic Saturn brand, which got its start in the mid-1980s. GM's (GM) sales pitch to win billions in federal assistance includes the possible sale or shutdown of the once-promising Saturn brand.[/quote]

PA0304 12-04-2008 11:58 PM

Re: Iconic Saturn Brand Could Stay on the Road Beyond General Motors

A Chinese Saturn, if you think they have problems being made south of the border wait till the inferior metal consortium gets hold of the car. I would rather see them shoot it in the head rather than sell it to the land of inferior everything.

If Saturn goes so should all the clown execs over $300K per year, they screwed up an easy thing. Put some young blood in the mix and eliminate the CYA environment allowing incompetence. This is pure and simple the higher ups not earning a cent while forcing a less than stellar product to market on a global stage. We can kick the world's kiester if the improper people are eliminated and not permitted to make their corporate cocoon so safe.

VTHokie00SL2 12-05-2008 12:03 AM

Saturn was about being proud of an American made car. Just doesn't work with imports at all...

John10 12-05-2008 12:08 AM

I don't object to fair international trade and I don't mind if Chinese investments back an independent but North American based Saturn or GM somehow finds Chinese business partners to jointly operate the company in the US. If however the American people and government allow several million of our own people to be put out of work and then turn around and allow Saturn or any other existing brand to be the corporate mechanism for Chinese manufactured vehicles to be imported and sold in this country it will be a day that will be long regretted. Any nation that believes it can lose most of its heavy manufacturing capacity to places that pay low wages and have little in the way of environmental controls while trying to maintain a high standard of living for its own people by selling each other fast food, cell phone plans, health insurance and continuously slightly upgraded versions of software is doomed as a world power. Anybody who believes other wise has been watching too many self serving power point demonstrations that try to convince us that nothing is fundamentally wrong with the kool-aid being served.

s-seriesguy 12-05-2008 01:27 AM

If it gets to the point of selling it to china, india, or japan I say kill the brand off and at least let it go with some dignity. I could only imagine what kind of pices of **** that china would try selling under the brand.:rolleyes:

marx404 12-05-2008 01:50 AM

again, all pure speculation.......

saturn_69 12-05-2008 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=marx404;1360059]again, all pure speculation.......[/QUOTE]Nuh-uh! I done read it on that thar internet, it must be trooo! :D

Let the panic monkeys reign!

AuraDrvr89 12-05-2008 06:49 PM

I wouldn't buy a Saturn from any company other than GM.. So I hope GM decides to continue with Saturn.

montrealvue 12-05-2008 08:23 PM

[QUOTE=VTHokie00SL2;1359996]Saturn was about being proud of an American made car. Just doesn't work with imports at all...[/QUOTE] I guess you forgot the Vue and Astra are engineered and produced outside the US. Also, the Aura is a rebadged European vehicle....not exactly American. Saturn's present models are mostly non-American. Despite that, the above models were more well received by the automotive press. I have always hoped Saturn would live outside of GM. One can only hope Saturn is bought and removed from GM's umbrella. Being associated with GM lately is definitely not a good thing.

VTHokie00SL2 12-05-2008 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=montrealvue;1360334]I guess you forgot the Vue and Astra are engineered and produced outside the US. Also, the Aura is a rebadged European vehicle....not exactly American. Saturn's present models are mostly non-American. Despite that, the above models were more well received by the automotive press. [/QUOTE]

And despite being well received by the press, the sales just aren't there, and the customer loyalty that the old, American Saturn enjoyed has largely dissolved.

Citation84 12-05-2008 11:41 PM

The "analyst" and those dealers have not the slightest clue about what they're discussing.

There is no Saturn to sell off. Period. End of story. There's no way it can be sold because it is totally integrated into GM with none of it's own unique development, design, manufacturing capability, factories, offices, supplier contracts, employees or anything else.

All Saturn is now is one brand among many others that GM markets. Badly. It sells a corporate small car, mid size ,cross over, sports car and SUV which are marketed for the sake of the dealers as "Saturns". They could just as easily be sold as Buicks. Or Pontiacs. Or even Geos.

When it was a subsidiary of GM using it's own exclusive designs and tooling and factory to build Saturns,it was an actual business entity that COULD have been sold. All that has been dissolved. Nothing to sell here folks, keep moving....:eek::dizzy:

alam99 12-06-2008 12:43 PM

[QUOTE=s-seriesguy;1360041]If it gets to the point of selling it to china, india, or japan I say kill the brand off and at least let it go with some dignity. I could only imagine what kind of pices of **** that china would try selling under the brand.:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Most people don't realize that just about everything that gets made has some components from China. Good or bad. Do people realize that iPods get produced in China, too? Be wary of stereotyping. That way lies the dark side.

bryanm326 12-06-2008 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=alam99;1360635]That way lies the dark side.[/QUOTE]

I sense a Star Wars response lurking somewhere...

s-seriesguy 12-06-2008 02:55 PM

[QUOTE=alam99;1360635]Most people don't realize that just about everything that gets made has some components from China. Good or bad. Do people realize that iPods get produced in China, too? Be wary of stereotyping. That way lies the dark side.[/QUOTE]
A vehicle is a much more important and larger purchase than an ipod don't you think?

cdp326 12-06-2008 03:33 PM

[QUOTE=montrealvue;1360334]Also, the Aura is a rebadged European vehicle....not exactly American.[/quote]
No, it isn't. It shares far more with American models. It's all in the looks.

[quote]Saturn's present models are mostly non-American.[/QUOTE]
Aura, Sky, and Outlook are all not only more American-designed but built in the U.S. too. So that leaves the Astra and the VUE.