SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Missing Sway Bar (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233608)

WrightMan 01-20-2018 07:56 PM

Missing Sway Bar

So when I bought this car a few months ago the front sway bar link was broken which I replaced and I was checking out my exhaust and noticed the rear sway bar is not there. I am fairly certain I have the level 2 given the sunroof, CD Changer, and other items but the gauges are not white like the 3. Given what I have seen on here it should have a rear sway bar right? I am planning on getting either the ST or maybe a ZZP bar any thoughts on just doing the rear?
Thanks!

ruley73 01-21-2018 04:00 AM

Re: Missing Sway Bar

[QUOTE=WrightMan;2264035]So when I bought this car a few months ago the front sway bar link was broken which I replaced and I was checking out my exhaust and noticed the rear sway bar is not there. I am fairly certain I have the level 2 given the sunroof, CD Changer, and other items but the gauges are not white like the 3. Given what I have seen on here it should have a rear sway bar right? I am planning on getting either the ST or maybe a ZZP bar any thoughts on just doing the rear?
Thanks![/QUOTE]

A rear sway bar was not factory-installed on any of the Delta platform cars (Ion, Cobalt, G5) including the high performance Ion Red Line/Cobalt SS models. These cars have a torsion beam rear suspension so the rear end is already fairly solid. I wouldn't think that adding a rear sway bar would help much, but the folks on the Cobalt forums highly recommend installing one for better handling.

WrightMan 01-24-2018 01:21 PM

I thought they all came with atleast something but I think this car really needs one if for any other reason to put less stress on the front sway bar which could be partly why those keep breaking. Based on what I have read about the 04 having a different rear bar set up then later models it looks like [URL="http://www.stsuspensions.com/products/st-suspensions/anti-sway-bars/st-suspensions-st-rear-anti-swaybar-51240.html"]this[/URL] is the only bar that will fit and the holes all will have to be drilled out. The installation instructions does have pictures showing how to install it but the fitment shows it would also fit Ion's up to 2007 which I thought were different. I just can't stand the fact that this little car has so much more body roll then my Crown Vic which weighs over 1,000 lbs more or our Escape which is a compact AWD SUV. My next step after this bar will be to replace the shocks and struts with some new KYB ones which looks like a fan favorite.
Thanks!

ruley73 02-01-2018 03:33 AM

[QUOTE=WrightMan;2264345]I thought they all came with atleast something but I think this car really needs one if for any other reason to put less stress on the front sway bar which could be partly why those keep breaking. Based on what I have read about the 04 having a different rear bar set up then later models it looks like [URL="http://www.stsuspensions.com/products/st-suspensions/anti-sway-bars/st-suspensions-st-rear-anti-swaybar-51240.html"]this[/URL] is the only bar that will fit and the holes all will have to be drilled out. The installation instructions does have pictures showing how to install it but the fitment shows it would also fit Ion's up to 2007 which I thought were different. I just can't stand the fact that this little car has so much more body roll then my Crown Vic which weighs over 1,000 lbs more or our Escape which is a compact AWD SUV. My next step after this bar will be to replace the shocks and struts with some new KYB ones which looks like a fan favorite.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

I would highly recommend replacing your shocks and struts first. The stiffest you can get are the OEM FE5 struts & shocks used on the Cobalt SS/TC. KYBs are good too, but they are not as firm.

I wouldn't mess with adding a rear sway bar unless I had a specific reason to justify it such as auto cross racing. That front sway bar link could have broken from the previous owner hitting something. I doubt not having a rear sway bar was a contributing factor.

WrightMan 02-01-2018 01:01 PM

I did not want the ride to get too stiff which is why I figured adding the sway bar would help with handling without compromising the ride quality much. New struts are going on soon and I was thinking about doing both at the same time. My other vehicles don't have real stiff suspension but at least they stay flatter in the corners which is what I am looking for. We have a lot of roundabouts in the area and it just seems wobbly. I might have a higher standard than most for a road car but it takes turns like my truck and I just want it to stay as flat in the turns as my 4200 lb crown vic. The crown vic does have some upgrades but it needed them to handle better I just would have thought this would have improved more after fixing the front sway bar.

Clyderp 02-03-2018 11:50 PM

I put in a progress rear sway bar a little before I put in fe5 shocks and struts. I did notice a slight improvement in the handling. It was also extremely easy to put in. I personally think it's worth it.

ddemier7 02-04-2018 03:45 AM

I have a 2004 Ion and I installed new end links and front sway bar bushings a while back. Recently I just installed KYB struts and shocks with Tein lowering springs a 1.5 drop but my Ion is sitting on 17 inch wheels. Car handles very well for a cheap sedan. Its fun to drive.

Ions do not have a rear sway bar. Shocks and springs do all the work back there.