SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue Mods (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Installing a dash cam (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223857)

burlyvue2 10-03-2016 05:38 PM

Installing a dash cam

I have the dash cam installed on the rear view mirror post and it is ready for power. I want to use the 12V switched from the mirror's compass/temp supply. It lives under the dome light. I had the same hookup on my 2005 but an having issues removing the dome light on my new to me 2004 to get to the wire to connect there.

Main question is how do you get the light assembly out? There is a clip on right and left but is held in by something else. Anybody know the trick to remove the light assembly?

:dizzy::dizzy:

Thanks!

burlyvue2 10-03-2016 05:57 PM

Re: Installing a dash cam

OK, I got the light out. I have exposed the wires going to the mirror compass/temp.

There is 2 green, 1 gray, 1 yellow and 1 black.

Which ones are the switched 12V?

Thanks.

far2grumpy 10-03-2016 06:53 PM

BV2 ... I emailed wiring diagram ... others interested in ISRVM power - see wiring diagram in post # 3 of this tread:

[url]http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180666[/url]

burlyvue2 10-18-2016 09:16 PM

Installed and working awesome. Thanks to Mr. Far2Grumpy.

Next is the rear view camera combo with real time recording and view on demand for parking. Limo black tint (real dark) demands a camera.

:yes:

:us:

riprocop 10-11-2017 10:23 PM

[QUOTE=burlyvue2;2219505]Installed and working awesome. Thanks to Mr. Far2Grumpy.

Next is the rear view camera combo with real time recording and view on demand for parking. Limo black tint (real dark) demands a camera.

:yes:

:us:[/QUOTE]

What camera system are you using to get both front and back record in loopback mode?

I have seen Double Dins with front and back cameras. I am wondering if they record realtime loopback. That would be my ideal setup.

burlyvue2 10-12-2017 09:55 AM

riprocop,

I am using just a standard HD Dash Cam (Genii) for the front. The rear is setup with a tablet and connected with a USB cable, basically a standard webcam setup. I only need it for backing up as the Vue is typically filled to the roof with parts and tools. Also the windows are all limo tinted so visibility is an issue. The tablet is setup on a flexible pole mount with bluetooth keyboard and mouse and USB DVD. Internet access is via Verizon Hotspot. Storage is increased with a 64Gb micro SD card for service manuals. Entire system is used only when parked, obviously. Can't be in traffic playing with it or "bad things" could occur.

My last Vue, 2005 Vue, was killed by a fellow playing on his phone. Dashcam got a good shot of him, head down, as he drove into me.

I am a huge fan of the dashcam and the Genii takes awesome video. 32 Gb cards (max size) can record for long time. I have a bunch of them and swap them out when something interesting occurs. I was out in the desert by El Centro when the Blue Angels flew in vertical formation right across the freeway in front of me. Scared the bejeezus out of me but the dashcam caught it.

riprocop 10-13-2017 01:40 PM

There any Saturn Rally's or get together in SD? I would like to see in person some modified Vues.

burlyvue2 10-13-2017 07:23 PM

I have had 3 Vues since my 2003 V6 bought new from Saturn of West 78 in Oceanside. Never been to or heard of anything like a rally or get together for Saturn folks and their vehicles. There was a time when that happened back east, but not in California . I think that is why I love this site as we can get together and visit and share here.

This weekend is 100k maintenance for my 2004 V6 Vue. Timing belt and pump was done at about 85k, just have to complete the transmission drain and fill. My 2005 got to 237k before being killed (totalled). I hope to keep this one running well past that mark.

This all off topic.