SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Vue Mods (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   V6 Airbag and Steering Wheel is Now Installed with Pics!!! (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754)

PortugalFocus 06-27-2010 04:39 PM

V6 Airbag and Steering Wheel is Now Installed with Pics!!!

It's a fairly straight forward swap.

1. Disconnect the battery and remove the Air Bag fuse. I then plugged in my phone to the car charger port and turned on the headlights to make sure there was no "loose" voltage in the system anywhere.

2. Remove the upper and lower column covers. There are 3 small screws attaching the lower cover to the column.

3. Unhook the four clips holding the 4c ylinder bag and it pops out.

4. Remove the two airbag connectors (pink and white).

5. Disconnect the cruise control plug.

6. Use a 21mm socket to remove the nut holding the steering wheel to the column. Some wheels are on tighter than others. I did not need a wheel puller, just a firm tug and it came loose.

6. Make all the connections behind the bag. There is only ONE additional connection different from the 4cyl bag. The V6 bag has it's own ground terminated on the bag. You don't have to splice anything or cut any wires, just make sure it's connected or the horn won't work.

7. Reverse the installation process. Just make sure the steering wheels is properly lined up and the clock spring does not make any additional revolutions.

Enjoy.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/portugalfocus/Photo0226.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y149/portugalfocus/Photo0225.jpg[/IMG]

Sticky anyone? Am I the first to do this?

Tom92SCm 06-27-2010 05:29 PM

Re: V6 Airbag and Steering Wheel is Now Installed with Pics!!!

Awesome! I've always wanted to do it, but never did. Looks great.

Where did you get your parts? Ebay or a local junkyard or something?

pyroom 06-27-2010 09:06 PM

Looks factory! Glad to see it all came together fine.

PortugalFocus 06-27-2010 11:18 PM

[QUOTE=Tom92SCm;1633953]Awesome! I've always wanted to do it, but never did. Looks great.

Where did you get your parts? Ebay or a local junkyard or something?[/QUOTE]

I got it from my local salvage yard. I got a great deal. I couldn't pass it up.

nitroussaturn 06-28-2010 11:01 AM

since i have a redline i have the steering wheel you swapped too.
but i need to wrap the center peice with carbon fiber fabric,not the horn button...it looks like it has two screws that go in the backside of the wheel and it will just pop off,am i right?since you've dealt with taking them off i figured you would know how to get that peice off,let me know:)

PortugalFocus 06-28-2010 05:05 PM

[QUOTE=nitroussaturn;1634203]since i have a redline i have the steering wheel you swapped too.
but i need to wrap the center peice with carbon fiber fabric,not the horn button...it looks like it has two screws that go in the backside of the wheel and it will just pop off,am i right?since you've dealt with taking them off i figured you would know how to get that peice off,let me know:)[/QUOTE]

Leave the screws in place they don't have anything to do with the bag.

There are three clips that hold the bag in place. They are under each spoke of the steering wheel. All you need to do is use a small flat headed screw driver, position it begin each clip and push inward, toward the center of the bag. It will click and you will see the bag come loose.

I will make a video for the removal of the VUE bag on the 4 Cylinder as soon as I get a chance. If you can follow that, then V6 bag is practically identical. I post the link here. Hopefully by tomorrow I'll have it up on youtube.

nitroussaturn 06-28-2010 07:07 PM

i dont need to take the bag out to do what i want to do,do I?
re read my post i just need to get the whole front peice of the wheel off so i can rewrap it in carbon fiber,the peice where the cruise control buttons are that whole peice of the wheel i need off

XRL 06-28-2010 08:02 PM

From my digging, the plastic trim piece should come off with those two screws. Though in all honesty you could probably wrap it fine without taking it off.

I'll probably take it off anyways to wrap it whenever I get around to doing that part.

PortugalFocus 06-29-2010 07:25 AM

[QUOTE=nitroussaturn;1634417]i dont need to take the bag out to do what i want to do,do I?
re read my post i just need to get the whole front peice of the wheel off so i can rewrap it in carbon fiber,the peice where the cruise control buttons are that whole peice of the wheel i need off[/QUOTE]

You will have to remove the bag to get that plastic cover you want off. I will post how-to later tonight.

XRL 10-14-2010 11:02 AM

Do you have any information on the cruise control plug itself? How many wires, pictures of the plug, etc.

Trying to see if I can swap a steering wheel from an SRX in with steering wheel controls. If I can make the CC work normally, the radio controls will be a breeze with my aftermarket radio.

hoffman_BMX89 10-19-2010 05:31 PM

hey guys i wonder if a 2006 steering wheel with audio controls would work if i would get one of those PAC modules and use it with my pionee avic d3 if it would this is a mod well worth doing

PortugalFocus 10-24-2010 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=XRL;1669667]Do you have any information on the cruise control plug itself? How many wires, pictures of the plug, etc.

Trying to see if I can swap a steering wheel from an SRX in with steering wheel controls. If I can make the CC work normally, the radio controls will be a breeze with my aftermarket radio.[/QUOTE]

Yeah the plug was exactly the same. I believe it was a three wire connector and a single wire for the horn.

Good luck.

Also I don't know think the 06-07 wheel will work if you want to add the audio controls unless your car already has it.

XRL 10-25-2010 10:04 AM

[QUOTE=hoffman_BMX89;1671247]hey guys i wonder if a 2006 steering wheel with audio controls would work if i would get one of those PAC modules and use it with my pionee avic d3 if it would this is a mod well worth doing[/QUOTE]

My thought is the Cruise controls might not work, since a lot more of the 06-07 is on the GM LAN setup. The 04 SRX has the same basic wheel as us with the CC at the bottom and radio controls on the sides.

The real trick is going to be getting the wiring out from the wheel in a way that it won't break inside from turning.

BlownL36 02-05-2011 12:39 AM

are the air bags interchangable from 02 to 05?

PortugalFocus 02-08-2011 11:12 AM

[QUOTE=BlownL36;1709142]are the air bags interchangable from 02 to 05?[/QUOTE]

No, the connections are different. 02-03 interchange and 04-05 interchange. I wouldn't mess with re-wiring airbags. Not worth the potential failure in my mind.

BlownL36 02-11-2011 08:03 PM

its a great mod. just wish the dam steering wheels werent so expensive! every wheel i find doesnt have the bag or airbag cover. lol

PortugalFocus 02-13-2011 07:53 PM

[QUOTE=BlownL36;1711456]its a great mod. just wish the dam steering wheels werent so expensive! every wheel i find doesnt have the bag or airbag cover. lol[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's pricey, you usually have to buy the pair of bad with the module. It can be $400+. Just check you local LKQ U-Pull it yard for one. They usually have the newest cars in the yard I have found out.

Horsepower2011 04-27-2011 01:06 AM

looks good

decipher 04-29-2011 11:27 AM

ya hope mine works like that.. I have a 2002 already changed the cluster and have the new wheel. I had to paint the plastic trim as mine was damaged but ive painted it Silver like the newer cars as soon as i get enough posts pics will come.. Along with my rl appearance parts!

decipher 04-30-2011 07:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here is a dual stage airbag in my 02 vue