SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Saturn Discussion (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Flashback Friday: Sketch of the Upcoming Saturn SC on a 1989 Cover of AutoWeek (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122480)

Charlie 07-18-2008 07:15 AM

Flashback Friday: Sketch of the Upcoming Saturn SC on a 1989 Cover of AutoWeek

A new image entry has been added:

[drupal=2476]Flashback Friday: Sketch of the Upcoming Saturn SC on a 1989 Cover of AutoWeek[/drupal]

[quote]An illustration of the 1991 Saturn SC coupe appeared on the cover of AutoWeek's January 9th, 1989 issue. Inside, Kevin Wilson authored an article entitled "Saturn Rising" that discussed what was known about the mysterious Saturn project at the time of publication.[/quote]

TechnoAura 07-18-2008 08:08 AM

Re: Flashback Friday: Sketch of the Upcoming Saturn SC on a 1989 Cover of AutoWeek

The artist's rendering of the SC on the cover of Automobile Magazine was very close to the production SC. That cover, and article for that matter, should remind us of Saturn's original objectives. Saturn was to be GM's import fighter aimed directly at Honda and Toyota, while setting a benchmark for design and innovation for GM to follow, as well as change the buying experience for its consumer.

I first became interested in Saturn during the early 1990s while in college. I remember the professor of a marketing class discuss how Saturn (GM's original 99) spent a lot of time and money researching methods of how to treat their customers better than the rest of the automotive industry. There was even a section of the marketing text book used for this class devoted to Saturn! Saturn looked at companies like Volvo and even Disney to find out why their customers were pleased with their products and/or service. They used information gathered from their research to establish their business practices. [I]Many of us know the story![/I]

Although I still really like Saturn's products and believe they utilize some of the best designs of any car company selling automobiles under $40,000, I would no longer consider the company a benchmark in the industry. Whether it's GM's lack of funding or interest, Saturn has lost their way in this respect.

I did enjoy the trip down memory lane, however.

Uzzy 07-18-2008 09:06 AM

Re: Flashback Friday: Sketch of the Upcoming Saturn SC on a 1989 Cover of AutoWeek

Wow, that was surprisingly close to the production car. it was bit lower and more "pod-like" than what was released, but still surprisingly close, compared to most artist's renderings that come out in the car rags.

Uzzy 07-18-2008 09:08 AM

[QUOTE=TechnoAura;1283936]I did enjoy the trip down memory lane, however.[/QUOTE]Did you see all the other flashback threads?

TechnoAura 07-18-2008 10:29 AM

[QUOTE=Uzzy;1283950]Did you see all the other flashback threads?[/QUOTE]

I have seen the other flashback threads and have enjoyed reading them. "Flashback Friday" is a great idea and an homage to the early Saturn vehicles. I look forward to future threads.

VTHokie00SL2 07-18-2008 11:27 AM

The first gen Saturn coupe is still arguably the best looking car Saturn ever made (or more recently inherited from GM and sold) imo!

AuraDrvr89 07-18-2008 02:47 PM

How cool!!!

Looks like a spaceship. I love the first-gen SCs. I plan on having one as my first restored collectors car. :cool:

wei_ 07-18-2008 04:28 PM

[quote]Rarely to the cars appear during daylight or at the more easily penetrated Milford Proving Grounds in Michigan, and even then the test models are often clad in [polymer] body panels based on early styling themes.[/quote]
An unadvertised benefit of polymer.