SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   L-Series General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   the old mode actuator trick in the hvac (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267116)

rfisher 07-21-2020 03:26 PM

the old mode actuator trick in the hvac

hi sages- looking for source of a part and having no luck in america. hoping one here smarter than me has one on a shelf in their garage or knows a source. the part is called the mode actuator control and is on the right side dial in the hvac control module of my saturn L !00. it controls the direction of the air flow to the floor or occupants faces or windshield or a combination thereto it also switches the ac on if you direct the air to defrost. i had the whole module out last year to replace the 5 position blower fan speed switch in the top center of the module.the mode actuator part number is 22732653 . surprised i cant find it anywhere since i would think other gm models of similar size to the saturn L might interchange. so what do you think can you help a poor guy from jersey? thanks tons bob f

lrbraner 07-21-2020 03:49 PM

Re: the old mode actuator trick in the hvac

2040-parts.com shows it as available. $50.
I know nothing about the site.

lrbraner 07-21-2020 03:53 PM

ebay has a used one for $35 ish.
They also list a Dorman part number, Dorman 604195

lrbraner 07-21-2020 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=lrbraner;2348370]ebay has a used one for $35 ish.
They also list a Dorman part number, Dorman 604195[/QUOTE]

Upon checking further I dont believe the Dorman number is good for the L series.

rfisher 07-22-2020 09:44 AM

hi ibran- looks like curtains for this function. tried dorman, rockauto, 2040 and no soap. 2040 did have a used complete hvac module for an L for 38. mechanic pro tried for me too and stinko results. looks like the dial switch on the module signals a pair of motors behind the glove box which actuate the air direction doors. front dash vents now blow good cold air blast . that is the only position that works on the dial which is at 7oclock low which is ok for the long heat wave in fla, but no good for the cooler/defroster season in jan. will try carid for it . ebay was ng. also will try junkyard. any other ideas/sources? thanks tons bob f

lrbraner 07-22-2020 10:22 AM

There is one on ebay. Search using only the part number and check the box that says to include descriptions in the search.
The listing number is 124026364094. you can search for the listing number as well.
Link;
[url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-LW-L-LS-OEM-MODE-Actuator-097-120-1100/124026364094?epid=1533846548&hash=item1ce08c20be:g:crkAAOSwLg1ewM-n#vi-ilComp[/url]

rfisher 07-22-2020 09:41 PM

hi ibran- youre right i did find the used on on ebay from you original link. thanks tons bob f

rfisher 07-23-2020 10:41 AM

hi ibran and other sages- did find the dorman 604195 new actuator for a vue but not sure it will work on the L 100. it looks the same as the one for the L which is used on ebay. dont want to start the hellacious removal process and then get stopped due to wrong part. i can get the glove box and its door off with only a few f sharps(had to replace the latch in the door and took the whole box out a while ago.) . looked at a you tube video which did this on a chevrolet vehicle which was very hard to see. cant find any u tube vids specific to this vehicle and job. understand there are two actuators for thesefunctions , one on each side of the hvac box of doors behind and above the glove box. scuttlebutt says one is on the left upper and the other on the right upper. this sounds like looking for a needle in a haystack and in the dark. need your advice my bruthas , a you tube type video on this specific car and how to distinguish which actuator had a clusterf@#!k. probably would be wise to replace both. indy wants to clip me $500 for the job . dealer would probably want $800. feel like im pinned down in a foxhole at guadalcanal with only a half a clip left. anybody able to rescue? thanks tons bob f

lrbraner 07-23-2020 11:11 AM

According to Dormans website it WILL NOT fit. I should have checked more before posting the part number.

rfisher 07-27-2020 10:14 AM

hi ibraner- you seem highly up to speed on this r and r job better than me. having difficult and confusing time finding the correct part for this repair. problem is most of the ones offered for sale from various sources(ebay, AA ignition, dorman, amazon) are unclear on whether theywill work on the saturn L 100. cant find a u tube vid which depicts the job in this exact model either. other gm vehicles vids do not help much. this is what i have found so far. the used ebay actuator seems most likely to work, but would prefer to get a new one. it appears the suppliers make a number of actuators which look just like the ebay one but have different part numbers and are for different gm cars(not the saturn L). a few sources say the dorman 604195 will work but others say no good - that is only for the saturn vue. some gm cars have 3 or 4 of these items in the hvac unit. seems the saturn L only has 2. but are they interchangeable. the used ebay item says it works in the 2000- 2005 saturn L series with either 4cyl or V6. another sheet says it will work on the 05 saturn vue with 4 cyl. how do you make sense out of this. thanks tons bob f

pierrot 07-28-2020 01:10 AM

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]The part you're looking for went obsolete/NLA several years ago. If you're up for a self-serve wrecking yard and removing the part from a wrecking yard car yourself then go to [URL="http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com"]http://www.lkqpickyourpart.com[/URL] and find cars like yours in their inventory near you.

You may also try [URL="http://car-part.com"]http://car-part.com[/URL] which covers regular wrecking yards across the U.S. I've purchased parts through this website myself. I can send service information to r&r this part if you're interested. Based on the OE p/n's I see the actuators for a VUE are NOT interchangeable with those on an L-Series car.[/SIZE][/FONT]

rfisher 07-28-2020 07:59 AM

hi pierrot- thanks very much for your information. dorman has a picture of various actuators which all look the same but have different numbers and are for gm and other vehicles but not the L series. initially looked like their 604 195 would work even though it was listed for the vue not the L . that looks like a dead end. did get a tech assistance phone for dorman and will call to see if their large inventory has any alternative. will also try car-part.com would very much appreciate you sending me r and r info to take the actuator out and compare it to other parts. can get the glove box out but then need to locate and remove the actuator. how do you want to send the info- email, forum? thanks bob f

rfisher 07-28-2020 10:22 PM

hi pierrot- no soap on those other sources but will try the yards. i could still use those instructions on the r and r of the actuators on the L series if you would be kind enough to send them .email me if you prefer (callpaladin@aol.com) . haynes and you tube are ng on this removal on the L models. seems i will have to take it out and see if i can match it up with yard finds. thanks tons bob f

floridasl22002 07-29-2020 10:19 AM

Just a suggestion.... before going to the time and hassle of removing the actuator, why not see if you can take a photo of it while it is still installed?

My Suburban's AC system has something 6 in the front, all hidden away in the dash in various places. I had an issue with one of mine and I managed to find its location and take a pic of it with the phone. The pic gave me the label on the Actuator, which gave me the bar code and all the product ID information. See if you can do the same.

rfisher 07-29-2020 10:51 AM

hi floridas- this is just about the most vexatious part search problem i have had in 55 years of playing with jalopies. worse than looking for a clutch plate for a 39 studebaker with free wheeling overdrive. when i get the glove box assembly out should be able to locate / see the two actuators in this system. maybe i will be able to see the id numbers. would like to make sure part is available before i go to this work. have tried at least 10 sources for the actuator and told it is obsolete /nla. problem is there are so many different ones and most look the same but function differently and gm/chevrolet seems to have abandoned the vehicle. there is a used one on ebay. looking for video or instructions on how to remove. videos on u tube show howto do other gm vehicles but not the L series. thanks tons. bob f

floridasl22002 07-29-2020 11:55 AM

You own a Saturn. The company has been out of business for 12 years, the L series has been out of production for 15 years. That's the reality of owning an orphan car. The new parts supply is dwindling within GM and may well be well and truly done by now. I know down here in Florida, my Chevy dealer told me they were pulling Saturn parts into regional centers as the parts numbers dwindled.

The Actuators, if I remember mine correctly clip together and inside are a series of plastic/nylon cogs. Sometimes the cogs wear and the actuator stops working.

If you intend keeping the Saturn forever, then you will have to be creative or have an annual pass at the JY! LOL

rfisher 07-29-2020 04:26 PM

hi floridas- i agree. saturns been gone for a long time. do like the car. had it since new and has 186k and has been a pretty good car. your suburban is a much bigger vehicle which i guess is why it has 6 actuators. the L has 2. surprised there are so many different actuators for gm cars. may try your picture suggestion and keep searching for one but will probably buy the used one on ebay. the hvac in the L has only 2. according to the picture i saw of it one is on each side of the unit. bet youre right, probably broken or worn plastic gear teeth. thanks for the input. bob f

pierrot 08-01-2020 07:32 PM

[QUOTE=rfisher;2348603]hi pierrot...would very much appreciate you sending me r and r info to take the actuator out and compare it to other parts. can get the glove box out but then need to locate and remove the actuator. how do you want to send the info- email, forum? thanks bob f[/QUOTE][FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="3"]I apologize for the delayed reply, [B][I][COLOR="Navy"]rfisher[/COLOR][/I][/B]. I've been putting out "fires" here at home which have been consuming much of my free time after work hours are done. With regard to sending R&R information I prefer to send it via e-mail. Please send me a message via p/m with the address that you'd like to have me send it to. [/SIZE][/FONT]

rfisher 08-01-2020 10:02 PM

hi pierrot - just sent you a pm. thanks rfisher (bob)

rfisher 08-06-2020 12:43 PM

Re: the old mode actuator trick in the hvacLooks like up the creek without an actuato

hi pierrot, ibraner, floridas- checked with all the places and a few others on the net(10 in total) and no soap. all said the same thing discontinued , nla, no interchanges nfg, etc.floridas may be right fugeddaboutit or haunt junkyards. just when i tried to order a used one ebay said it was sold already. surprised there are so many for various american makes- at least 25 which all look the same, but apparently due to different circuit boards they have differences in turn angles, durations and default positions so one must get the exact part for the car. also surprised dorman and standard motor parts had nothing. would like to fix it before the cooler weather arrives in fla in december when the defrost/demist function will be needed on some days. ac has been working fine. one bad boy said to extract mine, take the cover off and see if the plastic gear is broken or cracked(apparently a common failure in these mofos) . someone sells replacement gears but cant find him. seems the gear that fails is the big one pressed on to the driving notch. still looking for a supplier of those gears.if you know of the source please let me know. feel free to advise of any other sources for the unit. thanks tons bob f