SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Relay General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=74)
-   -   Front fan is not working (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233527)

Alexandr 01-12-2018 05:16 PM

Front fan is not working

Hi,Guys. I own Saturn Relay 2005 with 400000 km on odometer. Car is awesome,never been on the big service(except regular maintenance),but small things start happened with my old baby. Today stops working my front fan. I check fuses(ok),resistor(ok). Maybe you have right answer?Thanks in advance. Best Regards,alex.

fdryer 01-12-2018 07:42 PM

Re: Front fan is not working

1 Attachment(s)
400k kms/248.5k miles makes your Relay over the hill. And with mileage comes wear and tear eventually taking its toll on long term parts. Here's a partial reprint describing your cooling system.

[I][U]Cooling Fan Control[/U]

The engine cooling fan system consists of 2 electrical cooling fans and 3 fan relays. The relays are arranged in a series/parallel configuration that allows the powertrain control module (PCM) to operate both fans together at low or high speeds. The cooling fans and fan relays receive battery positive voltage from the underhood junction block. The ground path is provided at G100.

During low speed operation, the PCM supplies the ground path for the low speed fan relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan 1 relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and supplies battery positive voltage from the cool fan 1 maxifuseŽ through the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the left cooling fan. The ground path for the left cooling fan is through the cooling fan relay and the right cooling fan. The result is a series circuit with both fans running at low speed.

During high speed operation, the PCM supplies the ground path for the cooling fan 1 relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. After a 3-second delay, the PCM supplies a ground path for the cooling fan 2 relay and the cooling fan relay through the high speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and provides a ground path for the left cooling fan. At the same time the cooling fan 2 relay coil is energized closing the relay contacts and provides battery positive voltage from the cool fan 2 maxifuseŽ on the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the right cooling fan. During high speed fan operation, both engine cooling fans have there own ground path. The result is a parallel circuit with both fans running at high speed. [/I]

One possibility for low speed fan failure, its dead. Be sure the 30 amp FAN1 fuse is good. Swapping the relay with a similar one can help isolate this problem. Refrain from swapping with FAN2 relay as they're different. The horn relay is a good swap. The best way to see if the low speed fan is worn out is to connect a short wire jumper across the relay socket terminals 30 and 87 (labeled on every relay as showing the switched electrical contacts when the relay is powered up). The wire jumper bypasses the relay and sends 12v to the fan (regardless of ignition switch mode). If you wire this jumper, you can measure the voltage at the fan connector or observe fan operation.

One Vue member found a dead low speed fan - it wore out from heavy ac usage in Texas hot weather. Similar two fan cooling setup.

Alexandr 01-12-2018 08:09 PM

Thanks a lot,my friend. I try this weekend to swap relays. This is good idea. But tomorrow I have to buy new 30 amp fuse first(like you told me(make sure fuse is ok-cost 5$,not too much) and after that I follow your way,sir. Best Regards,Alex.
P.S. My wife told me long time ago,buy another car for business,but this van always make me money,never stops on highway and roads and never been towed. I love my old baby. Thank you.

Alexandr 01-13-2018 06:17 PM

This morning I call for assistance to my technician. This guy just beat with his hand once and my fan start working. He told me,that I have to exchange fan one day,but if I dont want exchange right now,just follow his system. It was only problem with contact. :)

fdryer 01-13-2018 11:07 PM

Great mechanic to pass on simple, no cost repairs until necessary. With freezing temperatures my guess is you're not too worried about that cooling fan until spring warm temperatures returns..........