SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Aura General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Yep another new guy with another PS problem (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=231451)

hat_man 06-11-2017 02:54 PM

Yep another new guy with another PS problem

Hello everyone.

Long story short (OK maybe not so short)....2009 Aura XE 4cyl just over 150k miles. I checked the power steering recall websites a year ago including the GM one. The recall for our year Aura only includes certain models manufactured until July of 2009. Go figure ours (according to the door sticker) was made in August. The power steering started getting very "heavy" but only in the winter. By the next summer it was back. The following year it went completely out earlier and came back later. Now it is out most of the fall and all winter and most of the spring. It just came back intermittently once it got into the upper 80's most everyday. When it does come back sometimes there is a grumbling sound and the steering wheel will shake/vibrate back and forth maybe 1/2" in each direction. If I hold onto the steering wheel while it is shaking it will stop (duh) but the grumbling will also stop. My first thought was low fluid but the 4cyl has all electric steering IIRC. I'm afraid I'm looking at a huge repair bill if it is an electric motor replacement. I have to get the P codes pulled again. I wrote them down once and can't find them now. I'm sure they will help and will post them as soon as I can get back over there.

Any insight or advice would be a great help. If you need any more info other than the codes let me know and I'll try and get it. I do believe the previous owner (Avis Rental) had the gear shift lever recall done and I have had the BCM recall done.

As a side note.....I was surprised when we got the letter in the mail telling me we were under the BCM recall but parts weren't yet available. When they did become available I was completely surprised to find out the parts were a sticky back and a zip tie and a 1" block of high density foam that acted as a spacer between the connector and the "fuse block". Never noticed a single change other than soon after we had the traction control and ABS lights come on and now show up in the DIC every time we start the car.

fdryer 06-11-2017 03:42 PM

Re: Yep another new guy with another PS problem

You may have to dig up info about electric power steering systems, error codes, symptoms, diagnosing and troubleshooting. Background info; [url]http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/maintenance-repair/straightening-out-gm-electric-power-steering[/url].

hat_man 06-12-2017 02:48 PM

OK a quick update. Had the fault codes pulled. There were several but the most seemed to center around a bad O2 sensor. Sensor 1 Bank 1. I think this is one of the upstream sensors. Never have looked so I don't know if it's in a place I can reach without getting the car on a lift.

EVAP system leak, but I'm thinking bad gas cap as it still has the original. I'm going to cut a temporary gasket to make a better seal and see if it clears that code. If it does I'll get a new gas cap.

Variable valve timing advanced. Possibly a bad sensor, but I am wondering if it is from the bad O2 sensor creating a rich AFR and the computer advancing the timing? I'll fix the O2 sensor issue first and then have the codes re-pulled and see if the VVT code disappears.

No codes for power steering issues or traction control or ABS all of which come up in the DIC. Absolutely stumped on those three issues.

hat_man 06-23-2017 09:01 AM

OK. O2 sensor replaced. Does run smoother but still have warning lights for ABS and ESC and traction control. I've heard that a bad speed sensor or bad speed sensor wiring or plug may cause that.

Power steering is back but it always returns in the summer. Still have no idea why it goes out in the cold weather. I wouldn't think an all electric system would be affected by temperature.

Anyone have any insight?

hat_man 06-26-2017 05:11 PM

Thanks fdryer for the response. I guess no one else has a clue then. I was hoping with such a prevalent problem (power steering failure) that at least someone on here would have some insight. I must have been wrong.

I guess I'll just have to let the dealer throw super expensive parts at it in the usual game of repair roulette then.