SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   S-Series Tech (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Just bought used SC2, something weird in 2nd gear (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140166)

wy2sl0 06-19-2009 09:18 PM

Just bought used SC2, something weird in 2nd gear

Hi everyone.

If I use 15% throttle, or even wide open, the car will in second gear only mind you, seem like it is shifting into a gear that is between 2nd and 3rd and RPMS will drop, in the middle of the gear. Its so weird to explain. If I am WOT it will hang there for a couple seconds, and if im going easy it just does a mini shift it seems like, but it isnt the 2-3 because when I count its like I have 5 gears :dizzy:

If im on it heavy the shifts seem ok besides that so I dont think its slipping?

Thanks for reading any ideas will help! Im just doing Seafoam now so I havent changed the plugs yet but im going to change them after that and then do a tranny flush and filter.

wy2sl0 06-19-2009 09:56 PM

Re: Just bought used SC2, something weird in 2nd gear

[QUOTE=wy2sl0;1468677]Hi everyone.

If I use 15% throttle, or even wide open, the car will in second gear only mind you, seem like it is shifting into a gear that is between 2nd and 3rd and RPMS will drop, in the middle of the gear. Its so weird to explain. If I am WOT it will hang there for a couple seconds, and if im going easy it just does a mini shift it seems like, but it isnt the 2-3 because when I count its like I have 5 gears :dizzy:

If im on it heavy the shifts seem ok besides that so I dont think its slipping?

Thanks for reading any ideas will help! Im just doing Seafoam now so I havent changed the plugs yet but im going to change them after that and then do a tranny flush and filter.[/QUOTE]
Just to add I dug this up and this is EXACTLY WHAT MINE DOES, except at ALL throttle inputs
saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117749&highlight=2nd+gea

It doesnt seem normal

wolfman 06-20-2009 01:43 AM

During normal shifting the TAAT transaxle locks and unlocks the torque converter based on engine load, speed, throttle position etc. This will cause a change in the engine rpm. That is what you are seeing. Normal.

Fox Slaughter 06-20-2009 01:50 AM

Just bought an SC2 throw some Ds on dat *****! Yuck rap. ROFL.

MoparNut 06-20-2009 01:51 AM

wy2sl0: you didn't post up what year your car is...if it's an '02 it may have the 2-3 clutch housing issue (poor surface finish causing piston seal degradation)

wy2sl0 06-20-2009 07:44 AM

[QUOTE=MoparNut;1468799]wy2sl0: you didn't post up what year your car is...if it's an '02 it may have the 2-3 clutch housing issue (poor surface finish causing piston seal degradation)[/QUOTE]

Its a 97.

I think it has the plastic ECTS also :-S

MoparNut 06-20-2009 08:46 PM

Ooh...def change that, and the connector if it's green. I'm too lazy to look, but I'm sure the ect sensor issue has been fully beaten to death:)