SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Astra General (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=105)
-   -   Pulling slightly right (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144442)

marx404 09-18-2009 09:50 AM

Pulling slightly right

I just noticed that my XE is pulling very slightly to the right when I accelerate, but not when I am coasting. Is this normal? The tires seem to be balanced, no wobbling or shaking, car drives just fine otherwise.

cschmidt1956 09-18-2009 10:26 AM

Re: Pulling slightly right

Sounds like "TORQUE STEER". This used to be quite a handful in the earlier days of front wheel drive. My Mini Cooper S I had in England (an original from 1965) had this really bad. Over the years this has almost been engineered out of most cars. I think this is what you feeling.

RoadIon 09-18-2009 10:44 AM

FWD=TORQUE STEER, some cars more then others. On average the more TORQUE from the engine the more torque steer.

Layoira 09-18-2009 11:08 AM

Yep normal, its just torque steer as everyone else pointed out. (Since you indicated its only on acceleration). I get it too. Its normal.

Toto 09-18-2009 11:41 AM

Let me guess, marx404, you are a NASCAR driver?

j/k
:D;)

Funny beside, a little bit torque steer is normal. Sometimes it also depends on the road condition where your little Astra try to follow a trace rille (sp?).

Teh_Freak 09-18-2009 11:56 AM

Torque steer like everyone else said, though I can't say I've noticed it.

adammsu 09-18-2009 11:56 AM

further more, most cars will drift some to the right even while coasting... i think the idea is to drift you off the road if u fall asleep rather then into traffic....

marx404 09-18-2009 12:45 PM

[QUOTE=Toto;1515544]Let me guess, marx404, you are a NASCAR driver?

j/k
:D;)

[/QUOTE]

Just practicing for when Penske takes over, LOL.

marx404 09-18-2009 12:50 PM

I just musty have never really noticed it before. I had my TPMS replaced on the right front tire and noticed immediately that the tech neglected to balance the tire, wobbles and all. (who wouldn't balance a tire after working on it?) After bringing it back to have the tire balance it, I guess I have been really paying attention to it. The right-pulling occurs at any speed, 30mph, 60mph, whatever, but as I say if I am coasting no pull. I kinda thought it was torque steer, I guess the drive wheel is on the right side? (havent looked yet) Thanks.

aaronearles 09-18-2009 04:41 PM

What torque!? Where?? :D

adammsu 09-18-2009 04:45 PM

unless you really get after the throttle (and this car really doesn't have enough power to torque steer tooooo bad...) you probably would never notice much torque steer, especially at higher speeds. I have had FWD cars with way more power, and at speed (say 25-30mph) you have to force a down shift to first gear by flooring it to detect any torque steer. The fact that it doesn't do it while coasting means its probably not alignment, but who knows....

Astra La Vista! 09-18-2009 06:30 PM

[QUOTE=adammsu;1515555]further more, most cars will drift some to the right even while coasting... i think the idea is to drift you off the road if u fall asleep rather then into traffic....[/QUOTE]
Actually, it has more to do with the crown of the road (ie: higher at the center line, tapering off towards both shoulders to allow for better water run off), although alignment specs are [I]supposed[/I] to take this into account. The trouble is, different roads have different degrees of crown.

There's also the other possibility that you have a tire problem. Swapping the front tires from side to side usually reverses the pull in these cases.

SaturnRaycer 09-18-2009 10:05 PM

Torque steer is not automatic with FWD. Cars with transverse engines are more likely to have it than cars with longitudinal engines (think Audi A4). Because the half shafts are different lengths in a transverse layout torque steer occurs. Some manufacturers have gone to the expense of making the shafts equal in mass despite different lengths, which negates most of the torque steer.

Marx, If you're feeling a slight pull to the right on level road at cruise, or moderate acceleration, you may have an alignment issue. Torque steer is usually at its worst when the front wheels are turned, and there is a great amount of relative torque produced - usually in a lower gear under very hard acceleration in a corner. Obviously, the more powerful the engine, the greater the effect.

RoadIon 09-18-2009 10:14 PM

[QUOTE=SaturnRaycer;1515879]Torque steer is not automatic with FWD. Cars with transverse engines are more likely to have it than cars with longitudinal engines (think Audi A4). Because the half shafts are different lengths in a transverse layout torque steer occurs. Some manufacturers have gone to the expense of making the shafts equal in mass despite different lengths, which negates most of the torque steer.

Marx, If you're feeling a slight pull to the right on level road at cruise, or moderate acceleration, you may have an alignment issue. Torque steer is usually at its worst when the front wheels are turned, and there is a great amount of relative torque produced - usually in a lower gear under very hard acceleration in a corner. Obviously, the more powerful the engine, the greater the effect.[/QUOTE]

Well one will never have torque steer with a rear drive car, and most manufactures have gone to the expence of making shafts an equal length on modern cars. Yet FWD cars still show signs of torque steer. Still other things can be done to diminish torque steer.

Swordfish 09-20-2009 02:46 AM

Kinda off-topic but somewhat related... I was on my way to work this evening, and I was shifting with one hand and had my coffee in the other hand, getting onto the 20, and... guess what??? even at 120 km/h, in slight curves, the car stayed between the white lines without me touching the wheel!!!!!! Granted, I had one free hand at that point to grab the wheel if need be, since I was in 5th gear :P I could have sworn there were sensors somehwere on the car that detected the lanes, and kept me in the middle of mine!!!! I went for a good 45 seconds, maybe even more. Wow.

Toto 09-20-2009 07:19 AM

I think you can thank the road engineer/worker for that. :yes:

RoadIon 09-20-2009 08:59 AM

[QUOTE=Swordfish;1516342]Kinda off-topic but somewhat related... I was on my way to work this evening, and I was shifting with one hand and had my coffee in the other hand, getting onto the 20, and... guess what??? even at 120 km/h, in slight curves, the car stayed between the white lines without me touching the wheel!!!!!! Granted, I had one free hand at that point to grab the wheel if need be, since I was in 5th gear :P I could have sworn there were sensors somehwere on the car that detected the lanes, and kept me in the middle of mine!!!! I went for a good 45 seconds, maybe even more. Wow.[/QUOTE]

Drinking & driving, with no hands.

Swordfish 09-20-2009 09:47 AM

No hands, technically, yes. but I had one hand free when I was on the highway. :P I must admit though, it is a very bad habit I picked up driving an automatic. I am thinking of giving up my Tim Hortons pit-stops when travelling.

Astra La Vista! 09-20-2009 11:30 AM

[QUOTE=Swordfish;1516379]I am thinking of giving up my Tim Hortons pit-stops when travelling.[/QUOTE]
Noooo! :cry:

Swordfish 09-21-2009 06:36 AM

Well, I was on my way in to work again last night... Couldn't do it. Night shifts are too rough without the starting kick of a coffee!!!! :D