SaturnFans.com Forums

SaturnFans.com Forums (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/index.php)
-   Ion Mods (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=57)
-   -   What turbo is in the sky redline? (http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88975)

natIONnal city 11-16-2006 01:28 AM

What turbo is in the sky redline?

Looked at the sky redline today and I was think about getting the exhaust manifold ,intercooler and [U]maybe[/U] the turbo to start with. What turbo is it? Anyone know.

redline sky max boost 14psi lol not bad

dcfatalis100 11-16-2006 02:24 PM

Re: What turbo is in the sky redline?

Probably a small one. Which means 14psi isnt that great.

IonSpeedMaster 11-16-2006 03:17 PM

Its a 2.0 Engine, so I dont think its a direct swap at all. There would probably be a lot of custom fabbing that youd have to do to make it fit. Its a whole lot more than just buying the turbo and intercooler and everything and just bolting it up.
My dad works at the plant where the Solstice GXP and Sky Redline are built BTW. Solstice GXP, which is the same as the SRL mechanically, is capable of 20psi in first gear. I hit 19psi in my neighborhood when I got to drive an automatic one he brought home for a weekend.

natIONnal city 11-16-2006 04:37 PM

Ok so 2.0 sky redline and 2.0 ion redline engines are the same right? IONSPEEDMASTER

natIONnal city 11-16-2006 04:39 PM

[QUOTE=dcfatalis100]Probably a small one. Which means 14psi isnt that great.[/QUOTE]
maybe T3 turbo?

IonSpeedMaster 11-16-2006 06:50 PM

[QUOTE=natIONnal city]I was think about getting the exhaust manifold ,intercooler and [U[B]]maybe[/B][/U] the turbo to start with. What turbo is it? Anyone know.

redline sky max boost 14psi lol not bad[/QUOTE]

Why are you coming at me. And no the IRL and SRL arent the same. Why would you get their exhaust manifold (header) and intercooler but maybe their turbo? An intercooler on a N/A car is dead weight, it wont do anything. I was just explaining to you, because maybe you didnt know, that buying a turbo, or a turbo kit for that matter, intails a whole lot more than bolting a few things up and saying go. And I was just informing you about the boost capabilities of the car. sheesh :)

natIONnal city 11-16-2006 08:03 PM

So why do I have a ion redline manifold on?:hmpf:

IonSpeedMaster 11-16-2006 08:26 PM

The manifold may be one thing...i'll admit that I didnt know those were compatible. But what are you gonig to do with an intercooler?

natIONnal city 11-16-2006 11:04 PM

Bro you can buy a kit or get parts and make your own . I work at the dealership cost + 10 :) [U]hopefully[/U] when I get all my parts HPTUNNERS
will have something out :upset: ,if not ill just have to get a standalone system.

THX712517 11-16-2006 11:17 PM

The big thing to look out for in using the Sky Redline's turbo manifold, turbo, and intercooler is that the engine in the Sky is placed longitudinally in the chassis, as opposed to transversely in the Ion. You would need to be sure that the manifold will clear the firewall and somewhat line up with the exhaust system in order to function. You wouldn't want to put a big dogleg in your exhaust pipe, that would be worse than going with a tiny exhaust.

From what I've heard, the Ion Redline manifold will bolt up to the standard 2.2, so it's possible that the Sky Redline manifold will bolt up to the 2.2/2.4, but you will need to make sure that you will have the proper clearance. There was a hot trend for a while over on TurboSaturns where people were getting the Saab turbo manifold and turbo in an attempt to make something, but there wasn't enough clearance between the engine and the firewall to fit the thing.

I am confused though, why you would want to modify Sky Redline pieces when you could get together with Kevin over at Speed Mafia. He should be able to hook you up with some solid turbo pieces in a little while. Give him an email. Or you could surf eBay and buy one of the turbo manifolds on sale there. I wish you luck in whatever you do.

natIONnal city 11-16-2006 11:18 PM

I PDI the skyRL that day and the boost gauge read 14psi max in 2nd and 3rd gear (manaul transmission) .It spools pretty qiuck .I really think its a T3

06_Ion2 11-16-2006 11:19 PM

^^^ +1 speedmafia u can always upgrade belts/pulleys

bc3tech 11-16-2006 11:24 PM

[QUOTE=natIONnal city]I PDI the skyRL that day and the boost gauge read 14psi max in 2nd and 3rd gear (manaul transmission) .It spools pretty qiuck .I really think its a T3[/QUOTE]
um.... so there IS a boost gauge in it?... i drove one and didn't see it, and have been told there isn't one...

natIONnal city 11-16-2006 11:30 PM

yup DIGITAL 07 sliver ext. black int. with red insert .nice.
Ill try to take some pics tomorrow .hope they dont sell it yet.

natIONnal city 11-16-2006 11:49 PM

[QUOTE=THX712517]The big thing to look out for in using the Sky Redline's turbo manifold, turbo, and intercooler is that the engine in the Sky is placed longitudinally in the chassis, as opposed to transversely in the Ion. You would need to be sure that the manifold will clear the firewall and somewhat line up with the exhaust system in order to function. You wouldn't want to put a big dogleg in your exhaust pipe, that would be worse than going with a tiny exhaust.

From what I've heard, the Ion Redline manifold will bolt up to the standard 2.2, so it's possible that the Sky Redline manifold will bolt up to the 2.2/2.4, but you will need to make sure that you will have the proper clearance. There was a hot trend for a while over on TurboSaturns where people were getting the Saab turbo manifold and turbo in an attempt to make something, but there wasn't enough clearance between the engine and the firewall to fit the thing.

I am confused though, why you would want to modify Sky Redline pieces when you could get together with Kevin over at Speed Mafia. He should be able to hook you up with some solid turbo pieces in a little while. Give him an email. Or you could surf eBay and buy one of the turbo manifolds on sale there. I wish you luck in whatever you do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks thx712517
Ill try and see if the mani. will clear the firewall,If not find some way to tilt the engine forward some how.The manifold and intercooler is cheap.
Ill try to get them first and build from their. No dogleg for me thats ugly man.

natIONnal city 11-17-2006 12:00 AM

Off topic,Check out this manifold [url]http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=69917.0[/url]

HeroHog 11-17-2006 01:26 PM

Oh ick! I bet it flows like a MoFo with those 90 degree bends!

Chriscnl 11-19-2006 02:10 PM

[QUOTE=natIONnal city]Ok so 2.0 sky redline and 2.0 ion redline engines are the same right? IONSPEEDMASTER[/QUOTE]

For those of you that thinks the Sky 2.0L is the same as the Ion 2.0L... No they are not the same powerplant...Ions has port fuel injection...Sky RL has Direct Injection. Also a way different intake manifold.

natIONnal city 11-20-2006 03:22 AM

[QUOTE=Chriscnl]For those of you that thinks the Sky 2.0L is the same as the Ion 2.0L... No they are not the same powerplant...Ions has port fuel injection...Sky RL has Direct Injection. Also a way different intake manifold.[/QUOTE]

But everthing else is.(long block) Right Chriscnl

natIONnal city 11-20-2006 03:25 AM

I still think its a T3 turbo.